Public Mobile --> Koodo $40/6GB YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2018 12:36 pm
Apr 11, 2007
382 posts
107 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 1:13 pm
Per the post you quoted, they want it to not work for data even if somebody accidentally turns that back on.
If that's the case, some providers will disable data if you just call in and ask.
Jun 26, 2007
811 posts
555 upvotes
Prepay providers like Public Mobile will disable your data if you don't have any left, You have to buy more manually.
Time Machine Salesman
Aug 14, 2014
552 posts
270 upvotes
derekmcl wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 6:59 pm
Yes. I did just that when I moved from PM to Koodo several months ago.

Use the promo code from the OP’s screen shot in the Koodo website. Then plug in your PM phone number in the “validation code “ window which will pop up. If your phone line qualifies for the promo, you will get to the next screen. If not, you will get a raspberry from the system.

As was mentioned earlier, I wouldn’t sign up on the website. Wait for Walmart to have a $200 gift card bonus weekend and get a shiny new phone either to keep or sell.

As always, don’t forget to get a referral from an existing Koodo member before you sign up with Koodo, so you can claim your $50 bill credit!
Sorry, can you expand on the $200 walmart offer? Do you mean buy a new phone, switch to koodo and still get this plan if your currently on PM?
Jul 18, 2018
33 posts
25 upvotes
NinjaSaves wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 9:33 pm
Is it unethical to use a public mobile number that I brute forced? Finally got a hit, quite happy lol.

edit: should mention its 40/4gb. the 6gb codes were impossible to find.

edit 2: got some 6gb codes now too
Hook me up with some of those 6gb lol
Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $40/4.5GB
Public Mobile $40/4.5GB
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19114 posts
7101 upvotes
Toronto
NinjaSaves wrote:
Just got some 6GB & 4GB promo codes.

is using these codes a good idea? is there a chance koodo can revoke my plan if the original recipient contacts them?

also i have a few spare codes - ya'll know what to do ;)
I hope you realize that the promo codes are universal and not unique to a particular customer. They are not use once codes. What is use once is the qualifying phone number. So, if you use someone else qualifying phone number, that could get you into a pretty messy situation. I would imagine they could trace that to you PDQ.

People, take a close look at the OP. Follow the steps there and enter the promo code JOINKOODO5406 and you will find that it works. The key is to be targeted for the promo and have your phone number work with the promo code.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $10/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2014
1260 posts
1037 upvotes
Does anyone know if this migration can be done on an existing koodo line without porting out to a new line?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2014
1038 posts
522 upvotes
Toronto, ON
NinjaSaves wrote:

is using these codes a good idea? is there a chance koodo can revoke my plan if the original recipient contacts them?

Hey can you send me some codes please!
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
2262 posts
814 upvotes
Toronto
Hi everyone, I’m planning on calling Koodo later today, but I thought I’d ask my question here in case anyone knows the answer to 2 questions that I have when I migrate over from PM to Koodo:

1) If I do the order online I’ve read the SIM card can take anywhere from 3 to 10 days to arrive by mail. During this time would my Public Mobile service be no longer in service? Or would I still have PM service until the SIM card arrives? Do I have to do anything on my end to cancel with PM?

2) If I do this deal at my local Koodo kiosk shop, I know they can help me immediately by providing me a SIM card on the spot, but the moment I change over from PM to Koodo then would my PM service be shut off completely or would I have to do anything on my end to cancel the PM service?

Edit: The reason why I ask this is because the PM plan I recently signed up for is actually for my parents, and I don’t want a situation where they have no service at all while I’m waiting for the SIM card to arrive by mail, or if I get signed up at a Koodo booth/shop.

Thanks in advance. :)
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2017
1597 posts
1025 upvotes
tigerhawk33 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 9:12 am
Hi everyone, I’m planning on calling Koodo later today, but I thought I’d ask my question here in case anyone knows the answer to 2 questions that I have when I migrate over from PM to Koodo:

1) If I do the order online I’ve read the SIM card can take anywhere from 3 to 10 days to arrive by mail. During this time would my Public Mobile service be no longer in service? Or would I still have PM service until the SIM card arrives? Do I have to do anything on my end to cancel with PM?

2) If I do this deal at my local Koodo kiosk shop, I know they can help me immediately by providing me a SIM card on the spot, but the moment I change over from PM to Koodo then would my PM service be shut off completely or would I have to do anything on my end to cancel the PM service?

Edit: The reason why I ask this is because the PM plan I recently signed up for is actually for my parents, and I don’t want a situation where they have no service at all while I’m waiting for the SIM card to arrive by mail, or if I get signed up at a Koodo booth/shop.

I did mine a at the Koodo outlet and it happened immediately. He ported the number over to the sim card and installed it for me, tested on the spot and worked like a charm. Telus owns both PM and Koodo so it was seamless but regardless I don't believe that you'd need to call the originator provider to cancel.

The only thing is that I didn't take advantage of a user referral for a $50 bill credit, anyone know if I can do this retroactively? I'll give them a call later to see.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
2262 posts
814 upvotes
Toronto
HN12345 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 9:22 am
I did mine a at the Koodo outlet and it happened immediately. He ported the number over to the sim card and installed it for me, tested on the spot and worked like a charm. Telus owns both PM and Koodo so it was seamless but regardless I don't believe that you'd need to call the originator provider to cancel.

The only thing is that I didn't take advantage of a user referral for a $50 bill credit, anyone know if I can do this retroactively? I'll give them a call later to see.
Thanks so much for your help. I’ll go to my closest Koodo shop to get it done. One problem is that the phone that my parents use with the PM plan is not with me, and they’re at the cottage right now. Also I can’t take the phone due to one of my parents needing the phone for medical reasons (i.e. to call an ambulance or doctor for emergencies).
Apr 30, 2014
167 posts
64 upvotes
Sudbury, ON
My phone (BYOD with PM) gave up yesterday, doesn't hold charge anymore. I got this $40 4gb offer. Thinking to port to Koodo, but I need a device with port or with brand new line and cancel later. Anyone knows what is the best gift card deal out there to get a device on tab small/medium?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16742 posts
6582 upvotes
Oakville
NinjaSaves wrote:

Well, if the original recipient tries to use it and can't, Koodo can immediately look to see who *did* use their number to create a new account, and could very likely revoke that plan (since the code was used fraudulently). So, if you didn't receive those legitimately, I would be VERY hesitant to use them.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Dec 15, 2017
7 posts
18 upvotes
tigerhawk33 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 9:12 am

Not sure if this will still help but I did mine online (to avoid the $30 activation fee), and I got a referral too (I got the referral first, then signed up for Koodo).
- PM service stays in service until you port your number to Koodo, which is done after you receive the SIM in the mail
- You don't need to do anything with PM - it's cancelled immediately upon porting
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
2262 posts
814 upvotes
Toronto
busybee124 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 11:18 am
Not sure if this will still help but I did mine online (to avoid the $30 activation fee), and I got a referral too (I got the referral first, then signed up for Koodo).
- PM service stays in service until you port your number to Koodo, which is done after you receive the SIM in the mail
- You don't need to do anything with PM - it's cancelled immediately upon porting
Oh thank you so much! This info helps. I was just speaking with a Koodo employee in the Eaton Centre, and he told me that the moment I get the plan from them then my parents cell service with PM would end. After explaining to them that they’re not here right now (up north) I told the Koodo rep that I wanted to avoid a situation where they don’t lose their cell service until they come back to Toronto. Maybe I’ll try the online method, as it wouldn’t kick in until I receive the sim, right?
Dec 15, 2017
7 posts
18 upvotes
tigerhawk33 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 11:24 am
Oh thank you so much! This info helps. I was just speaking with a Koodo employee in the Eaton Centre, and he told me that the moment I get the plan from them then my parents cell service with PM would end. After explaining to them that they’re not here right now (up north) I told the Koodo rep that I wanted to avoid a situation where they don’t lose their cell service until they come back to Toronto. Maybe I’ll try the online method, as it wouldn’t kick in until I receive the sim, right?
Yeah, it shouldn't! They automatically activated my SIM with a new number as soon as it was delivered (took about a week) and I just ported my number in right after, which then cancelled my PM service automatically :)