Cell Phones

Public Mobile to Koodo Migration $50/8gb - DO NOT ask for VALIDATION/REFERRAL CODE

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2019 2:12 pm
Oct 17, 2010
838 posts
592 upvotes
Terrace

Public Mobile to Koodo Migration $50/8gb - DO NOT ask for VALIDATION/REFERRAL CODE

Got an SMS from Public Mobile yesterday for the upgrade. 8gb is perfect but consider the last promo was only $40 with bill credit. I should just stick to Public Mobile for the time being. However I wonder if there's also a hidden promo for $40? And if so what is it?
Images
  • Untitled.jpg
Last edited by Tobsterboi on Mar 14th, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
46 replies
Apr 7, 2007
867 posts
749 upvotes
Toronto
I’d wait it out for a better offer possibly.

Also, why was the other thread in Hot Deals locked? Offer is very much available.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13456 posts
12205 upvotes
That was the reason why the old thread was locked yesterday as there were lots of post asking for code.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Nov 24, 2003
423 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
I got the text message. I'm on the PM plan with 5gig data, and don't use more than 2.5gig ever or find the speed of PM is an issue. So, this isn't attractive to me except MAYBE to upgrade my phone. If someone takes an offer like this to upgrade their phone, can they just pay the tab and switch back to PM?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2211 posts
1356 upvotes
goathead wrote: I got the text message. I'm on the PM plan with 5gig data, and don't use more than 2.5gig ever or find the speed of PM is an issue. So, this isn't attractive to me except MAYBE to upgrade my phone. If someone takes an offer like this to upgrade their phone, can they just pay the tab and switch back to PM?
No need to switch, just open a new line/account with Koodo if you're planning on canceling in the end.
That way you keep your PM plan intact & get a new shiny phone.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1263 posts
637 upvotes
Oakville
I have a feeling they haven’t rolled out the $40 plan. I’m interested in that price point personally.
Oct 17, 2010
838 posts
592 upvotes
Terrace
PrimaryTech wrote: I have a feeling they haven’t rolled out the $40 plan. I’m interested in that price point personally.
But why would they wait if they already have the $40 plan in place?
Mar 11, 2012
431 posts
448 upvotes
North York, ON
PrimaryTech wrote: I have a feeling they haven’t rolled out the $40 plan. I’m interested in that price point personally.
I think it's $40/2 GB. You're likely better off waiting for a deal. Last time, it was $35/5 GB or $40/8 GB + $180 in bill credits after porting your PM number. Before that, it was just $45/8 GB. This targeted offer is warm at best. Only people on the $40/4.5 GB + 500 MB plan have been offered it. If it's anything like last time, then they'll be another offer that's better. And the less people that switch, the more likely they'll offer something better.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11174 posts
9987 upvotes
Kootenays
Anaron wrote: I think it's $40/2 GB. You're likely better off waiting for a deal. Last time, it was $35/5 GB or $40/8 GB + $180 in bill credits after porting your PM number. Before that, it was just $45/8 GB. This targeted offer is warm at best. Only people on the $40/4.5 GB + 500 MB plan have been offered it. If it's anything like last time, then they'll be another offer that's better. And the less people that switch, the more likely they'll offer something better.
Don't forget, it also included an A8 on tab med + $350 in GCs.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1263 posts
637 upvotes
Oakville
Tobsterboi wrote: But why would they wait if they already have the $40 plan in place?
You can have codes in place but nothing associated with them. Maybe that was the original offer but they changed their mind and associated all $40/4,5 numbers to 50 one instead.
Oct 17, 2010
838 posts
592 upvotes
Terrace
PrimaryTech wrote: You can have codes in place but nothing associated with them. Maybe that was the original offer but they changed their mind and associated all $40/4,5 numbers to 50 one instead.
So are you saying the $40 plan could've been for 8gb and then they changed their mind to $50?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1263 posts
637 upvotes
Oakville
Tobsterboi wrote: So are you saying the $40 plan could've been for 8gb and then they changed their mind to $50?
All speculation here. But I have numerous colleagues with different priced plans. And they all tried the 40 code and no one was able to process it. However, anyone who had $40/4.5 was able to get the $50 to show. So I'm just assuming here. They are probably seeing how many people will bite on $50 before rolling out the $40. I doubt it will be in March though, history tells us its usually a month or so apart.
Oct 17, 2010
838 posts
592 upvotes
Terrace
PrimaryTech wrote: All speculation here. But I have numerous colleagues with different priced plans. And they all tried the 40 code and no one was able to process it. However, anyone who had $40/4.5 was able to get the $50 to show. So I'm just assuming here. They are probably seeing how many people will bite on $50 before rolling out the $40. I doubt it will be in March though, history tells us its usually a month or so apart.
Great! good to know. I I guess I will hang on for a bit longer as I don't wanna pay more than $40 on any byod plans.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1263 posts
637 upvotes
Oakville
Tobsterboi wrote: Great! good to know. I I guess I will hang on for a bit longer as I don't wanna pay more than $40 on any byod plans.
I'm in the same boat. $40 is my threshold as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1229 posts
658 upvotes
Vancouver
I was searching all over hot deals looking for a follow up thread and there's nothing, no indication in the original thread either.

I am very tempted to switch but I guess I'll keep waiting if you guys think there will be a better round ahead. Plus I'm going to the US soon and their roaming add ons are very good, so I can wait. Fingers crossed for $40/8GB+credits.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29462 posts
20372 upvotes
thefeebster wrote: I was searching all over hot deals looking for a follow up thread and there's nothing, no indication in the original thread either.

I am very tempted to switch but I guess I'll keep waiting if you guys think there will be a better round ahead. Plus I'm going to the US soon and their roaming add ons are very good, so I can wait. Fingers crossed for $40/8GB+credits.
The $40/8GB with bill credit ship has sailed. I just don't see how that will ever come back. Looking at the pattern of offers back in 2018, they were all centered around paying $40 for various amounts of data and bill credit. Data ranged from 4GB to 8GB. Bill credit ranged from one time $100 to $15 x 12. The $35/5GB was bit of an anomaly. The first offer this year is $50/8GB, no bill credits. Perhaps the data amount or bill credit could vary. I just don't see the dollar amount changing. $50 is the new $40. Look how those 10GB plans took on a price increase.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Oct 17, 2010
838 posts
592 upvotes
Terrace
Dear all public mobile lottery ticket holders,

No more $40 plan from now on. And even if there is you might not have a winning ticket. Your next best bet would be getting a virgin prepaid and when 30 days is up you are automatically eligible for an upgrade to virgin postpaid $40 6gb plan no contract. Walmart and virgin stores confirmed that. It might not be your favorite carrier but you ticket with virgin is a guarantee WIN!

Sincerely,

A very disappointed PM customer
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22058 posts
10214 upvotes
Toronto
I could see Koodo offering a $40 migration plan but not with 6 to 8 GB of data, maybe 4 or 5.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2397 posts
575 upvotes
PM - VK3Q69
Good thing theyre asking for validation codes now. I’ve had multiple pms for pm referrals yet none of them have signed up yet. I think some people are “asking” for referrals and they end up harvesting pm numbers in hopes of scoring a migration plan and attempting to screwing over members
Dec 3, 2008
478 posts
417 upvotes
o0vL wrote: Good thing theyre asking for validation codes now. I’ve had multiple pms for pm referrals yet none of them have signed up yet. I think some people are “asking” for referrals and they end up harvesting pm numbers in hopes of scoring a migration plan and attempting to screwing over members
Except the validation code is their phone number.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)