Expired Hot Deals

[Public Mobile] Limited time only: 500MB/ 30 day Bonus Data on select 3G data plans!

• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2018 1:48 pm
[OP]
Aug 29, 2017
508 posts
1663 upvotes

Limited time only: 500MB/ 30 day Bonus Data on select 3G data plans!

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Public Mobile
Not much extra, but better than nothing.

We are excited to launch a limited time only bonus 500MB/ 30 days on select 3G data plans. This offer is available to new and existing customers. The bonus data can be found on select data buckets in the calculator and in one of our ready-made plans. See below for what is new, and the FAQs.

Ready-Made Plan: $40 for Canada-wide Talk, International Text, 2GB + 500MB of BONUS data at 3G speed.

30 Day

2 + 500 MB BONUS at 3G speed
4 + 500 MB BONUS at 3G speed
6 + 500 MB BONUS at 3G speed

90 Day

6 + 1.5 GB BONUS at 3G speed
12 + 1.5 GB BONUS at 3G speed
18 + 1.5 GB BONUS at 3G speed

See link for FAQs
“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do."― John Ruskin
15 replies
Dec 7, 2007
282 posts
123 upvotes
I just don't understand why PM focused on 3G network? 5g is testing and 4g is normal using everywhere. Why are you going backwards?
Jul 24, 2008
951 posts
586 upvotes
corollace wrote: I just don't understand why PM focused on 3G network? 5g is testing and 4g is normal using everywhere. Why are you going backwards?
They are going backwards in order to save cheap bastards, like myself, a few bucks.
Unfortunately, I signed up a couple days ago, before the half a gig bonus. =/
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3585 posts
3200 upvotes
Muskoka
Instead of a simple copy/paste, it may help to include some prices

30 Day - unlimited text and unlimited Cda wide calling

$40 - 2GB + 500 MB BONUS at 3G speed
$45 - 4GB + 500 MB BONUS at 3G speed
$50 - 6GB + 500 MB BONUS at 3G speed

90 day plans are simply include 3x the data and 3x the above cost

Still, if you are on one of these plans, it's a free 500MB upgrade
Public Mobile
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14758 posts
2741 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
corollace wrote: I just don't understand why PM focused on 3G network? 5g is testing and 4g is normal using everywhere. Why are you going backwards?
I think it is to artificially create difference between PM and Koodo's offerings. Initially, there was a backlash of Koodo subs moving over to PM. Not so much anymore.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3585 posts
3200 upvotes
Muskoka
It's not a 3G network, as mentioned many times here. It is LTE capped at 3mb/s up/down. Except for large file downloads, most don't seem to notice any lag.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3583 posts
1852 upvotes
Halifax
When there is a 500 MB data bucket, the concern over 3G speeds is somewhat moot. It is still LTE, but throttled at 3G speeds, so the real effect on most people is practically nil. You won't be able to stream that 4k movie, but then again, your monthly data allotment will not be gone in 10 minutes either.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1896 posts
608 upvotes
BuciMaci wrote: Not much extra, but better than nothing.

We are excited to launch a limited time only bonus 500MB/ 30 days on select 3G data plans. This offer is available to new and existing customers. The bonus data can be found on select data buckets in the calculator and in one of our ready-made plans. See below for what is new, and the FAQs.

Ready-Made Plan: $40 for Canada-wide Talk, International Text, 2GB + 500MB of BONUS data at 3G speed.

30 Day

2 + 500 MB BONUS at 3G speed
4 + 500 MB BONUS at 3G speed
6 + 500 MB BONUS at 3G speed

90 Day

6 + 1.5 GB BONUS at 3G speed
12 + 1.5 GB BONUS at 3G speed
18 + 1.5 GB BONUS at 3G speed

See link for FAQs
bridonca wrote: When there is a 500 MB data bucket, the concern over 3G speeds is somewhat moot. It is still LTE, but throttled at 3G speeds, so the real effect on most people is practically nil. You won't be able to stream that 4k movie, but then again, your monthly data allotment will not be gone in 10 minutes either.
It is technically pointless to stream a 4K movie to a smart-phone (merely because of the screen size).

Regardless, what a rapid decline of Public Mobile!

Only 1.5 years ago everyone were in awe about their "Fall 2016 promo" plan, the best wireless plan in Canadian history, etc.

Now it is just ... "meh ... but better than nothing". :(
May 27, 2011
469 posts
504 upvotes
Montreal
Tichi wrote: Now it is just ... "meh ... but better than nothing". :(
Guys, that's actually their strategy: to target people that either have minimal needs and/or minimal budget allocated for a cell phone.

It's even part of their marketing slogans: Less for Less
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
193 upvotes
spotts01 wrote: 90 day plans are simply include 3x the data and 3x the above cost

For the 90 days plans, can you use the 1.5G up in 30 days?
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
193 upvotes
bobitza wrote: Guys, that's actually their strategy: to target people that either have minimal needs and/or minimal budget allocated for a cell phone.

I think is Telus's strategy. Koodoo and Public Mobile target the low end customers.
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
193 upvotes
spotts01 wrote: Instead of a simple copy/paste, it may help to include some prices

30 Day - unlimited text and unlimited Cda wide calling

$40 - 2GB + 500 MB BONUS at 3G speed
$45 - 4GB + 500 MB BONUS at 3G speed
$50 - 6GB + 500 MB BONUS at 3G speed

90 day plans are simply include 3x the data and 3x the above cost

At those prices, I much prefer Zoomer. And at least with Zoomer if you have any issues you can talk to a live real helpful customer associate.
May 27, 2011
469 posts
504 upvotes
Montreal
mountaintree wrote: I think is Telus's strategy. Koodoo and Public Mobile target the low end customers.
Exactly.

PM - Less for Less
Kodoo - erm, Middle for middle?
TELUS - More for More
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1896 posts
608 upvotes
bobitza wrote: Guys, that's actually their strategy: to target people that either have minimal needs and/or minimal budget allocated for a cell phone.

:) sure, The problem is, one of those "less" 'es (namely the one that you pay) is now much "more", than the other one (the one that you get)

Of course, this is sort of standard strategy of differential approach of all Canadian providers to various customer groups.

Same thing basically occurs if you bargain with Big 3 (or their second-hand flankers like Koodo or Fido) about your pricing.
I personally find now that this last case gives me better pricing wrt PM.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3585 posts
3200 upvotes
Muskoka
mountaintree wrote: For the 90 days plans, can you use the 1.5G up in 30 days?
yes - you can use the data anyway you want within the 90 day period.
Public Mobile

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)