Cell Phones

Public Mobile: Plan Changes April 9, 2021. Canada-wide $15 plan Returns, $35/3GB, $50/10.5GB

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2021 9:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2730 posts
4381 upvotes

Public Mobile: Plan Changes April 9, 2021. Canada-wide $15 plan Returns, $35/3GB, $50/10.5GB

Public Mobile has updated the price plans as of April 9, 2021.

The province-wide plans have been discontinued and are no longer available to those who don't already have them.

Both versions of the $45 plan have been eliminated.

The $15 plan with 100 outgoing Canada-wide minutes, Unlimited incoming calls, Unlimited SMS/MMS, and 250MB of data has returned.

Other plans include:
$25 Unlimited Canada-wide calling, Unlimited SMS/MMS, 1GB of data
$35 Ulnlimited Canada-wide calling, Unlimited SMS/MMS, 3GB of data
$40 Unlmited Canada-wide calling, Unlimited SMS/MMS, 5GB of data
$50 Unlimited ougoiing calls to Canada and U.S. while in Canada (also unlimited Incoming calls while in Canada), Unlimited SMS/MMS, 10.5GB of data

The above data amounts already include the autopay data bonus. A $2 autopay discount is available. All of these plans have a data speed of 3Mbps while connected to the LTE network. There is no impact to existing customers. Existing customers who want the newer version of a plan should pre-scheddule a plan change from with their Public Mobile self serve accounts to occur during the next renewal.

Further details at: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans#plans-start
Public Mobile client: $50 calls/texts/10.5GB
43 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20919 posts
9181 upvotes
Toronto
I will give this an upvote for the price increase rollback. It is rare that competition leads to a price rollback.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4864 posts
3525 upvotes
Burnaby
Has anyone heard of a PM 10GB/$25 promo? A Canadian Cell Supplies marketing email mentioned that (without providing details) along with the price updates at PM but I couldn't find any other information about such promo at PM forums. Or maybe it's a vendor specific promotion.

Incompetent workers (and criminals) cover each other's "lower back"
Keywords: doxxers, moles, security breaches, cs*s,
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2730 posts
4381 upvotes
aviador wrote: Has anyone heard of a PM 10GB/$25 promo? A Canadian Cell Supplies marketing email mentioned that (without providing details) along with the price updates at PM but I couldn't find any other information about such promo at PM forums. Or maybe it's a vendor specific promotion.
Sorry, but there's no such price plan. This is likely some type of temporary discount but, otherwise, the $25 plan only includes 1GB.
Apr 25, 2019
387 posts
613 upvotes
Still pricey compared to other countries but by Canadian standards, pretty decent plans! Especially the $50 rate and the $35 rate. Wonder if the competition will follow!
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
Aug 4, 2019
195 posts
50 upvotes
ONTARIO
Bringing back long distance didn't go over too well.
They dropped it on koodo so I knew public was next.
Glad they figured it out, otherwise I would port out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2730 posts
4381 upvotes
Wildwestbob wrote: Bringing back long distance didn't go over too well.
They dropped it on koodo so I knew public was next.
Glad they figured it out, otherwise I would port out.
None of this would have affected existing Public Mobile customers unless a plan change was desired. Customers were free to keep their current plans.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2730 posts
4381 upvotes
LeifS39303 wrote: Still pricey compared to other countries but by Canadian standards, pretty decent plans! Especially the $50 rate and the $35 rate. Wonder if the competition will follow!
of course they will, or at least very they're very likely to
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2730 posts
4381 upvotes
LeifS39303 wrote: Still pricey compared to other countries but by Canadian standards, pretty decent plans! Especially the $50 rate and the $35 rate. Wonder if the competition will follow!
The new plans line up pretty well with Freedom Mobile's offering at those price points. However, the data speed on the LTE network at Public Mobile is slower for these plans due to speed throttling. Potential customers are going to have to choose between faster possible speeds vs. a much bettter network but slower data.
Mar 29, 2021
23 posts
21 upvotes
I don't think it's fair to compare Freedom Mobile (using their network) and Public Mobile (using Telus network). I was once with Freedom (at that time Wind) and never again since it sucked. As for speed, it is all about marketing as speed that PM provides (LTE throttled to 3Mbps) is way more than enough for majority of the people. I think that PM is actually making a big mistake by not removing that limit as it really doesn't matter what speed do you have, more how much data. And if you use it faster, there is higher chance you'll buy more data.
Nov 28, 2019
327 posts
873 upvotes
All minutes back to Canada-wide calling. Data increases for $35 and $50 plans. In province calling only trend failed. Consumer finally win one.

News Link
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2578 posts
1193 upvotes
Orleans, ON
Good news. Canadian telecoms are greedy.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1268 posts
1966 upvotes
Every account with Public Mobile should have a min of 5GB at no charge since it's only 3G. 3G data cost pennies to them. @poulet is right, telcoms are greedy. LOL
$50 15GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk and Text - Rogers
$22.99 1GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Talk/Text Canada - Public Mobile
$0.00 a month w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk / $9.99 6 months texting (FREE using Google Rewards) - Fongo Mobile App
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10942 posts
5150 upvotes
KenAdams wrote: Every account with Public Mobile should have a min of 5GB at no charge since it's only 3G. 3G data cost pennies to them. @poulet is right, telcoms are greedy. LOL
Or there prices could be $5 at least cheaper per month. Since others like zoomer or fido have 10gb $40 plans or 6gb $40 with a phone ect.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Sep 15, 2018
419 posts
81 upvotes
KenAdams wrote: Every account with Public Mobile should have a min of 5GB at no charge since it's only 3G. 3G data cost pennies to them. @poulet is right, telcoms are greedy. LOL
Do you know how come top corner of phone says connected to LTE if it’s 3G data? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2007
1577 posts
1541 upvotes
I have 1.5 Gb per month at lte for 88 dollars every 3 months
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1392 posts
773 upvotes
Calgary
Don't know about the data since it's capped speed. But that province wide minutes is truly greedy.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2665 posts
1530 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
There was a study conducted about 6 years ago highlighting how much it cost Canadian mobile carriers to deliver 1GB of data to their customers factoring ALL EXPENSES (salary, equipment, utilities, etc.).

In 2014, it costed Canadian telecom carriers less than $0.01/GB (LTE) to deliver 1GB.

The report indicated it cost them less each and every year as technology advances.

In 2021, it will cost them far less than a penny to deliver 1GB.

The gouging in this country is so disgusting that most Canadians can't even comprehend.
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2000 posts
1209 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
AsianXL wrote: There was a study conducted about 6 years ago highlighting how much it cost Canadian mobile carriers to deliver 1GB of data to their customers factoring ALL EXPENSES (salary, equipment, utilities, etc.).

In 2014, it costed Canadian telecom carriers less than $0.01/GB (LTE) to deliver 1GB.

The report indicated it cost them less each and every year as technology advances.

In 2021, it will cost them far less than a penny to deliver 1GB.

The gouging in this country is so disgusting that most Canadians can't even comprehend.
A cent a gig? That sounds high.
Jul 29, 2007
676 posts
399 upvotes
North America
Oh snap! They only upgraded the $35 and $50 plans with extra half gig? Hmm, I would have hoped they upgraded every plan with an extra gig or two.
Every plan so far, after the pandemic started, were getting more gigs for the same dollar amount, hardly anyone is using the gigs as they're at home!!
Here's hoping that they read this message and upgrade everyone an extra gig or two of data to each and every plan (including the grandfathered ones).
Thank you RFD community for helping me with spending money!