Cell Phones

Public Mobile - Port Out Number while Keeping Current Plan?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2017 4:49 pm
[OP]
Aug 28, 2010
54 posts
9 upvotes

Public Mobile - Port Out Number while Keeping Current Plan?

Hi everyone, I'm currently on PM's $40 4GB plan and recently opened a new line on Fido with their $15 3GB data-only plan. Looking to make the switch to Fido permanently b/c savings.

I want to port out the number on my PM account onto voip.ms or another VOIP provider (so I can make calls / texts on Fido data-only plan), but at the same time, I want to keep my current PM $40 plan (I'm guessing most likely through getting a new phone # through PM). Is this possible, and if so, what's the best way of doing so? Thanks!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4704 posts
2071 upvotes
GTA
You can't. Once you port a number out to another provider, the account is closed.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5291 posts
3770 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Contact PM and see if they willing to do a number swap for you, it's rare but not impossible. However, with PM customer service, good luck trying to even get a hold of them.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19720 posts
9171 upvotes
Oakville
If you send the mods a pm, they're generally going to respond in an hour or less. But people have asked about this on the PM forums without success, so I don't like your odds.
Banned
Sep 3, 2016
122 posts
57 upvotes
Buddy don't get too emotionally attached to your phone number. That's how Robelus get you. Just get the new number and send a mass text to all of your closest buddies.

/closed thread
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2608 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I too would like to know what PM has to say about this.
I have a number I use for business purposes currently with PM. Ideally I want to switch it over it to Koodo on one of those Quebec plans, but not lose the PM plan either.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20424 posts
8461 upvotes
Toronto
I think moving the number to another carrier while keeping the promotion is feasible if you can convince the moderators to do a plan swap. The process would be as follows. Activate a second account with a new number and in market plan. Tell the moderators you own two accounts and that you would like to swap plans between the accounts. If they will do that for you, then you are free to port without losing the promotion. This comes with a cost of setting up a new account. Timing this with renewal of the old account should minimize the cost to basically a few days with two accounts and cost of a SIM card.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19720 posts
9171 upvotes
Oakville
will888 wrote: I think moving the number to another carrier while keeping the promotion is feasible if you can convince the moderators to do a plan swap. The process would be as follows. Activate a second account with a new number and in market plan. Tell the moderators you own two accounts and that you would like to swap plans between the accounts. If they will do that for you, then you are free to port without losing the promotion. This comes with a cost of setting up a new account. Timing this with renewal of the old account should minimize the cost to basically a few days with two accounts and cost of a SIM card.
People have tried this multiple times in the PM forums, and to the best of my knowledge none have been successful. At least, none have publicly said that they were successful. I would imagine that if PM is willing to do this, they don't want to make it public knowledge that they are willing to do it.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20424 posts
8461 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote: People have tried this multiple times in the PM forums, and to the best of my knowledge none have been successful. At least, none have publicly said that they were successful. I would imagine that if PM is willing to do this, they don't want to make it public knowledge that they are willing to do it.
People who publicly talk about this are shooting themselves in the foot. These kind of things are best done via private message. Asking in the community forum for this favor is asking for a big fat NO response. If they say yes publicly, then how do they say no to anyone who wants this done.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2014
1427 posts
1196 upvotes
This is simply not possible. Don't waste your time contacting mods.