Expired Hot Deals

[Public Mobile] Price Increase. 12GB 120$/90day plan increase to $150 unless switch to Koodo

[OP]
Nov 6, 2017
20 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto

Price Increase. 12GB 120$/90day plan increase to $150 unless switch to Koodo

Retailer:
Public Mobile
I got a text today from PM
Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for (my number). Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.
Looks similar to the other thread posted the other day ($100 credit incentive, provincial to Canada wide calling, but losing the auto reload and referral discounts). What are our thoughts? Definitely switch right? But now it’s got me concerned about Telus' end game. Here is the thread on PM forums

EDIT: Our plans are saved! Moment of silence to those that switched to Koodo. Let's get this off Hot Deals now.
Hey Community,

I am writing to you today to let you know that we will not be moving forward with a price increase on the infamous “$40 for 4GB” plan ($120 90-day Province-Wide Talk + Text + 12GB Data), contrary to the SMS that customers on that plan received yesterday.

After sending out an offer to select customers, we heard your feedback loud and clear: we said no surprises, and we surprised you. While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today. As a brand, we have always been proud of our transparency, and of our commitment to our customers. We are sincerely sorry for any frustration caused and we want you to know that this has been a learning experience for us all.

We have been reminded that you, our customers, are vocal and passionate. We’ve seen how much some of you love Public Mobile and we’ve also seen how many of you like the added value that our sister brand, Koodo, has to offer. To that end, we are happy to say that the Koodo offer that our Public customers on the “$40 for 4GB” plan received still remains available for anyone who wishes to take advantage of it.

Thank you for your continued support,

Dave
Announcement from Public Mobile
Last edited by statsbrah123 on Feb 15th, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Thread Summary
This thread will remain in Hot Deals after discussing it with the Admin staff - please don't report it to have it moved. Thank you. -your Mod team

UPDATE: No more price increase
LINK: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... d-p/220067

Please upvote this thread for awareness, and don't downvote OP!
Everyone needs to file complaints!
Share your frustration where it might matter 🤔

Express your concerns to TELUS

Public Mobile Facebook

Telus Facebook
Telus Twitter

(Although, be mindful that during the sign-up process for this plan, you clicked "I agree" to their Terms of Service which states that the plan can be increased anytime with 30 days notice.)

Filing Complaints DO Work

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/02/15/publ ... lan-koodo/
In response to MobileSyrup‘s request for comment, a representative for the CCTS said the commission could not comment on the case but noted:

“I can tell you that the role of the CCTS is to ensure that providers respect the commitments made to their customers, and if we receive complaints regarding price changes/increases we will look into them and ensure that customers receive what they were promised.”

File a Complaint!

CCTS (CRTC) COMPLAINT

COMPETITION BUREAU COMPLAINT - takes < 90 seconds to complete online (choose "Contract" => "Wireless")

STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO FILE COMPLAINT WITH CCTS!

1. Select Contract
2. Select Wireless
3. When did you become aware? Feburary 15, 2018
4. Select Public Mobile
5. Select Personal
6. Answer: YES that you have tried to resolve this with the company (complain to Public Mobile forums too!)
7. Answer: NO that there are no other organizations which have the authority to compensate a customer for losses currently helping you to resolve this complaint.

8. You can answer with the following or change it as follows:

Please provide the details of your complaint. Please ensure that you describe, in as much detail as possible, the steps you took to resolve the issue with your service provider and your service provider’s response. *
My plan provided me with 12gb of data for for $120/every 3 months. They are increasing my bill to $150/3 months starting March 20th. This is inconsistent and not what was promised when the advertisement indicated the following "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

What do you consider to be a reasonable resolution to your dispute? *
To allow me to keep my plan as I have fulfilled my side of the contract to continue to be an active customer at $120/3 months for the same service I was guaranteed without having to switch to another carrier.

9. Enter your personal info

10. Attach a photo of the public mobile post screenshot if you want.

THATS IT, TAKES 2 MINUTES. FILE A COMPLAINT!

Link to Public Mobile term on the 40$/4gb plan: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... /m-p/77350

Switching from Public Mobile to Koodo
For those thinking of switching, here are the potential "conditions", based on what was offered from people who got the offer last week:

Here is the fine print from Koodo when I try to use their promo code.
Roaming rates apply outside of Canada. Included data does not roll over at the end of each month.
Includes international text messages sent and received anywhere in Canada. Availability of service will vary by country and is subject to change without notice. Excludes premium and subscription-based messages. Additional data charges apply depending on picture size when roaming in the U.S. and internationally. Picture messaging is supported by BlackBerry smartphone with a SIM card only if a BlackBerry is added to a Koodo plan or a Koodo data plan is chosen. Picture messaging works only if data is turned on.
Unlimited local calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday. For Canada-wide plan, unlimited Canada-wide calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday.
Rate plan available for Manitoba and Saskatchewan residents with Manitoba & Saskatchewan area codes only. Subscribers moving to another province will be transferred to an applicable rate plan for that location.
Rate plan available for Quebec residents with Quebec area codes only. Subscribers moving to another province will be transferred to an applicable rate plan for that location.
Calls must be made and completed within Canada. Applies to calls made between phones on the same account.
The requirements to get the $100 credit:
Subject to credit approval.
While supplies last.
Must upgrade on a Tab to redeem this offer.
Monthly Tab charge and conditions apply.

For anyone that thinks $40/month at Koodo is the same thing:

1. Koodo is post-paid (not pre-paid)
2. Your 4gb/month do not roll-over
3. All your credits are lost. (e.g. discounts for auto re-new, referrals, loyalty)

You do gain more services by switching, such as: Nationwide Call (public mobile has this too for a low cost addon, do the math if increase of Koodo is worth your usage for cdn wide), actual phone customer service, roaming features, and a phone subsidy tab. And the data unlike other postpaid carriers is "shock free", so you won't have to worry about unsuspected data overages
2166 replies
Aug 8, 2012
140 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
Edit: plan is saved! At least for now...
Last edited by Symbol87 on Feb 15th, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1041 posts
278 upvotes
Just double checking, is this 4GB/90 days or the 12GB/90days?
[OP]
Nov 6, 2017
20 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
pitabread wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 1:53 pm
Just double checking, is this 4GB/90 days or the 12GB/90days?
12GB/90 day, 4GB per month. Changed title to make it more clear.
May 17, 2008
137 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
I've just received the same message. Considering that I'm paying $35 tax included per month with PM. Even a $10 increase for 3 months isn't enough to get me move to other providers.
Dec 25, 2002
634 posts
200 upvotes
Just got the same text....guess I'm switching to koodo.

Kelly
Jul 22, 2016
66 posts
34 upvotes
MSZsama wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 2:21 pm
I've just received the same message. Considering that I'm paying $35 tax included per month with PM. Even a $10 increase for 3 months isn't enough to get me move to other providers.
With Public Mobile appearing to increase most if not all their grandfathered plans, a lot of people will start losing their referral credits as their friends leave. It'll be a domino effect.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
1425 posts
1206 upvotes
Toronto, ON
F$#@

Wow PM.
Last edited by blackston3 on Feb 15th, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 23, 2016
57 posts
24 upvotes
Port Severn, ON
I also just got that exact same text from PM. That’s an increase of ~25%!!!
MSZsama wrote:
Read carefully, the message says increases by $10/month, so it’s an extra $30/3 month!
I am pissed off that PM is not honoring their old pattern of grandfathering agreements. However, I cannot see how I can’t take the offered switch.

John
Nov 26, 2015
731 posts
439 upvotes
Ontario
MSZsama wrote:
It isn't $10 increase per 3 months. It is $10 increase PER MONTH. $30 per 90 days. It increases on March 20, but those in between the 90 day, do they lose out what they already paid? Boooooo less than 1 year grand-fathered.
Last edited by Etabol on Feb 15th, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9071 posts
1710 upvotes
Somewhere
MSZsama wrote:
+1

salty about it, but not salty enough to switch.
:confused:
Mar 15, 2003
687 posts
153 upvotes
Just got the txt too, my 90 cycle just started, so if I switch, I'll lose out on 2 months? That sucks
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
1425 posts
1206 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I just had my plan renewed a few days ago. Will this be implemented on my next renewal or we'll we be seeing sudden $10 charges in March?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3049 posts
1560 upvotes
Toronto
Just got the text. I am not happy at all about this. Losing my loyalty bonuses and the ONLY reason I didn't jump on the 10gb for $60 plan was I liked my PM plan.

Crappy situation

This is also a massive increase.

Also we better be getting a credit for the remaining time, I just renewed 20 days ago for 3 months and made a full $125 payment.
Last edited by CoolDudeClan on Feb 15th, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FreezingCanada wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 5:41 pm
We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?