Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Public Mobile

Price Increase. 12GB 120$/90day plan increase to $150 unless switch to Koodo

Aug 27, 2017
190 posts
150 upvotes
Don't switch yet, but instead use up the 12GB you paid for by March 15th. That's only about 400MB per day, it's easy to do!
Last edited by ceptionin on Feb 15th, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
Cocopuffs43421 wrote: I doubt the CRTC will be involved, this isn't really under their purview.

But the Competition Bureau will absolutely look into this. I wouldn't make the switch and wait to see if there is restitution.
Public Mobile (TELUS) plainly stated that there are no surprises and that nothing will change with the promotional plan. Barely a year later, there are changes to the turf of 25%.

EVEN ROGERS DOESN'T DO THIS!!!

This is absolutely a bait and switch.

CCTS (CRTC) COMPLAINT

COMPETITION BUREAU COMPLAINT
Last edited by Anikiri on Feb 15th, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 11, 2012
237 posts
55 upvotes
I will go back to Freedom which I had for last 5 years without any increase in all those years. I already start to hate public/Telus/koodo.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
zamiju wrote: I would hold up making the switch everyone. I think the CRTC and competition bureau will be involved in this one. Don't make the switch so quickly . Wait it out .
Yup. Wait it out, complain and fight. Telus just swallowed up Public Mobile three years ago, and now there are huge price increases. Competition Bureau complaints will probably be involved.
Nov 26, 2015
887 posts
671 upvotes
Ontario
I am about 30 days in. I will ride it out close to march 15. Then accept offer and receive bill credit and ride that out while on a decent 4GB plan. Likely to lose all my referrals anyways.

I am now trying to figure out if I can combine this buyout plan with a koodo new customer deal for a new phone. Even better if somehow possible to combine with WOW $100 trade-in credit (highly unlikely). It is happening so got to start thinking of ways to make it positive.
Sep 19, 2012
626 posts
353 upvotes
Kitchener
To the guy who said to stop being whiny millenials, and the guy that defended him:

I'm paying $36 a month to PM after loyalty and referral bonuses. I'd have to switch to Koodo just to get to $40/mo. I don't need Canada wide calling. I don't call people in any other province.

Public Mobile told me that the price would never increase. They are straight up lying.

Also they are screwing me out of a month and my fiancee out of 2 if we were to switch March 15th (she just paid a few days ago for another 3 months).

IDK what I'll do. Probably switch to Koodo if I can do it on a month-month basis, bring my own phone, and then jump ship at the next best offer.
Last edited by Tumdace on Feb 15th, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 5, 2016
721 posts
1117 upvotes
ceptionin wrote: Don't switch yet, but instead use up the 12GB you paid for by March 15th. That's only about 400MB per day, it's easy to do!
Is the insinuation here to burden them with those costs? Users using 400MB/day isn't costing them anything.
Jun 21, 2017
402 posts
919 upvotes
Anikiri wrote: Public Mobile (TELUS) plainly stated that there are no surprises and that nothing will change with the promotional plan. Barely a year later, there are changes to the turf of 25%.

This is absolutely a bait and switch.

CCTS (CRTC) COMPLAINT

COMPETITION BUREAU COMPLAINT
Rogers doesn't do this because bait and switch is a criminal act.

That they specifically targeted Freedom mobile customers makes this even more egregious.

Could someone please look up and archive/post the advertised plans from when we signed up? It would be useful to have (I don't have time atm)
Dec 14, 2007
670 posts
824 upvotes
Same boat here. Had it since Nov 2016. Obviously they are trying to kill off the public mobile brand. Will probably just take the koodo switch deal. Seems to be the best available right now.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2010
1374 posts
345 upvotes
Brampton
It clearly states that the price won't increase if the account remains active so this should be grounds for breaking their promise of "no surprises"
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2423 posts
1948 upvotes
Calgary
I'm glad I kicked Public Mobile out during the 10GB/month a couple months back. I would not be a happy camper now.
Last edited by FatWallet on Feb 15th, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In your pants!
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1266 posts
642 upvotes
Oakville
Anikiri wrote:
Wrong, they (Rogers) upped my plan $9 per month. And no switch offered. One of the reasons I ended up with public mobile. Luckily I jumped on the 60/10, but I’m sure that will go up in the future.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
1198 posts
363 upvotes
filed complaint to ccts and competition bureau
Nov 6, 2016
6 posts
3 upvotes
Markham
Cocopuffs43421 wrote: Rogers doesn't do this because bait and switch is a criminal act.

That they specifically targeted Freedom mobile customers makes this even more egregious.

Could someone please look up and archive/post the advertised plans from when we signed up? It would be useful to have (I don't have time atm)
I found this image in the Public Mobile community forums.
Images
  • D10E7090-7802-49E5-90EB-1AF888FB9E6E.png
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2011
1510 posts
2731 upvotes
Tumdace wrote: To the guy who said to stop being whiny millenials, and the guy that defended him:

I'm paying $36 a month to PM after loyalty and referral bonuses. I'd have to switch to Koodo just to get to $40/mo. I don't need Canada wide calling. I don't call people in any other province.

Public Mobile told me that the price would never increase. They are straight up lying.

Also they are screwing me out of a month and my fiancee out of 2 if we were to switch March 15th (she just paid a few days ago for another 3 months).

IDK what I'll do. Probably switch to Koodo if I can do it on a month-month basis, bring my own phone, and then jump ship at the next best offer.
Cocopuffs43421 wrote: Rogers doesn't do this because bait and switch is a criminal act.

endokuken wrote: It clearly states that the price won't increase if the account remains active so this should be grounds for breaking their promise of "no surprises"
Outlined very clearly on their terms of service page: https://publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Public_Mob ... ervice.pdf

"Can the terms of service change?
Yes, Public Mobile has the right to change any of the terms of service, including rates, without notice. Changes become effective thirty days after being posted at publicmobile.ca/ plans. By purchasing service after a change is posted, including by continuing to top up your account, you accept the current terms of service. You can cancel service at any time, without penalty or cancellation fees. "

The number one assumption when you are a customer of the big 3 is they can be assholes and change the rule in their favour at anytime, never assume anything is permanent.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
1198 posts
363 upvotes
FatWallet wrote: I'm glad I kicked Public Mobile out during the 10GB/month a couple months back. I would not be a happy camper now.
sadly, it will just a matter of time the other carriers start increasing their prices as well...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7675 posts
10977 upvotes
Scarbs
EDIT:
I was wrong:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-m ... #p28944313

From Reddit:
Here is the fine print from Koodo when I try to use their promo code.
  • Roaming rates apply outside of Canada. Included data does not roll over at the end of each month.
  • Includes international text messages sent and received anywhere in Canada. Availability of service will vary by country and is subject to change without notice. Excludes premium and subscription-based messages. Additional data charges apply depending on picture size when roaming in the U.S. and internationally. Picture messaging is supported by BlackBerry smartphone with a SIM card only if a BlackBerry is added to a Koodo plan or a Koodo data plan is chosen. Picture messaging works only if data is turned on.
  • Unlimited local calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday. For Canada-wide plan, unlimited Canada-wide calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday.
  • Rate plan available for Manitoba and Saskatchewan residents with Manitoba & Saskatchewan area codes only. Subscribers moving to another province will be transferred to an applicable rate plan for that location.
  • Rate plan available for Quebec residents with Quebec area codes only. Subscribers moving to another province will be transferred to an applicable rate plan for that location.
  • Calls must be made and completed within Canada. Applies to calls made between phones on the same account.
The requirements to get the $100 credit:
  • Subject to credit approval.
  • While supplies last.
  • Must upgrade on a Tab to redeem this offer.
  • Monthly Tab charge and conditions apply.
Last edited by aeba7 on Feb 15th, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
4021 posts
2373 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm going to have to wait until nearly the last day to switch over. My plan just renewed TWO DAYS AGO!
The only thing I might enjoy on this is the Koodoo phone deals.

This is however VERY disappointing they would raise prices by 25% in one shot. I hope they get flooded with CRTC complaints.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)