Expired Hot Deals

[Public Mobile] Price Increase. 12GB 120$/90day plan increase to $150 unless switch to Koodo

Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1438 posts
787 upvotes
aevol wrote: This new pricing is a bit confusing.

The new price is $150 for 90days for Public Mobile. (From txt msg), which is $50 a month.
The current pricing on the website shows $45 per month (includes the $2 autopay deduction.)

So existing members will be charged $50 a month vs, new sign ups get charged $47?

Trying to calculate if it is worth to stay with current reward deductions.
Where do you see that?
12GB for 90 days & 4GB for 30 days is not even listed on website
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming
Jr. Member
Oct 15, 2005
127 posts
21 upvotes
I hope they get a few thousand CCTS complaints tomorrow. Need to stick it to Telus for trying to screw us over.
Member
Jun 21, 2017
253 posts
513 upvotes
kav2001c wrote: Not at all
They sell you a plan
It says in terms they can change it
What false pretence (beyond not understanding terms) are you referring to?
I'm not going to continue arguing with your absurd comments. Anyone with eyes and half a brain can see the false advertising.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2176 posts
978 upvotes
Victoria
kav2001c wrote: Not at all
They sell you a plan
It says in terms they can change it
What false pretence (beyond not understanding terms) are you referring to?
According to the Competition Bureau, written assurances (which all of those screenshots contain) supersede generic terms & conditions. That's the problem everyone here has. The problem isn't with the concept of a price increase, the problem is that they said they wouldn't do it and then less than a year later, they did. I've done some research and it looks like the people who got this plan in 2017 have legitimate grounds to complain. For people like me who signed up just over a year to go, it's more unclear because of the amount of time since the written assurance has passed is over a year.
Jr. Member
Oct 22, 2011
176 posts
169 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
kav2001c wrote: Not at all
They sell you a plan
It says in terms they can change it
What false pretence (beyond not understanding terms) are you referring to?
The TOS is irrelevant, if the CCTS or another body finds PM's statements/adverts about the plan deceptive there will be consequences.

Considering that a normal consumer would most certainly interpret their messaging as meaning their plan is safe as long as their account is in good standing, I'd say there's most certainly a case to be made here.

A TOS is not the get out of jail free card that allows companies to do and say whatever they want that some people seem to think it is.
Penalty Box
Aug 15, 2015
8059 posts
4283 upvotes
ON
MaxPower19 wrote: According to the Competition Bureau, written assurances (which all of those screenshots contain) supersede generic terms & conditions. That's the problem everyone here has. The problem isn't with the concept of a price increase, the problem is that they said they wouldn't do it and then less than a year later, they did. I've done some research and it looks like the people who got this plan in 2017 have legitimate grounds to complain. For people like me who signed up just over a year to go, it's more unclear because of the amount of time since the written assurance has passed is over a year.
I don't see why that would be. One year doesn't magically change what they can do and what they cannot do if it's established they did promise customers no changes in price.
Member
Jun 21, 2017
253 posts
513 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote: I don't see why that would be. One year doesn't magically change what they can do and what they cannot do if it's established they did promise customers no changes in price.
I think what he means is that under one law, they have to provide the promo for a "substantial" period of time. False advertising and misrepresented products are also covered by competition bureau but under separate laws. People who signed up in 2017 have the benefit of referring to both violations.
Penalty Box
Aug 15, 2015
8059 posts
4283 upvotes
ON
Cocopuffs43421 wrote: I think what he means is that under one law, they have to provide the promo for a "substantial" period of time. False advertising and misrepresented products are also covered by competition bureau but under separate laws. People who signed up in 2017 have the benefit of referring to both violations.
Yeah I see your point.
Well in that case, the "no price change for as long as ..." doesn't even come into play , as there's other rules being infringed . Chances are, if they do something about it, it will be for everyone and PM/Telus will back off and maybe offer something more enticing so people will move over willingly as it should've done from the beginning.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 19, 2003
19264 posts
6260 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I still don't regret leaving freedom, honestly the reception and service in general has been a lot better for me on PM. Plus in the summer when I was at the cottage I could actually use my phone there for the first time.

I don't really think the Koodo deal is bad for me, I didn't have a ton of referrals or anything, however, it does piss me off because I too was in the belief that this plan was going to be good for a good deal longer than a few months based on their communication about it.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2176 posts
978 upvotes
Victoria
dilligafeh wrote: Yeah I see your point.
Well in that case, the "no price change for as long as ..." doesn't even come into play , as there's other rules being infringed . Chances are, if they do something about it, it will be for everyone and PM/Telus will back off and maybe offer something more enticing so people will move over willingly as it should've done from the beginning.
If this backlash does translate into hundreds of CCTS complaints, they’ll probably back down. Rogers has reversed plans a couple times because of backlash/mass CCTS complaints over an incident.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2013
5637 posts
2207 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
BinaryJay wrote: I still don't regret leaving freedom, honestly the reception and service in general has been a lot better for me on PM. Plus in the summer when I was at the cottage I could actually use my phone there for the first time.

I don't really think the Koodo deal is bad for me, I didn't have a ton of referrals or anything, however, it does piss me off because I too was in the belief that this plan was going to be good for a good deal longer than a few months based on their communication about it.
If they sweetened the pot and offered 5 GB for $40/month, I would jump in a heartbeat....but that is a pipe-dream. One can wish lol. I'll just wait until the last minute (March 14/15) before taking the Koodo offer if the backlash amounts to nothing.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 20, 2005
1158 posts
431 upvotes
pcypoon wrote: Here I will make it as easy for you guys to file a complaint

Go to this link
https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers ... aint-form/

1. Select Contract
2. Select Wireless
3. When did you become aware? Feburary 15, 2018
4. Select Public Mobile
5. Select Personal
6. Answer: YES that you have tried to resolve this with the company
7. Answer: NO that there are no other organizations which have the authority to compensate a customer for losses currently helping you to resolve this complaint.
8. You can answer with the following or change it as follows:

My plan provided me with 12gb of data for for $120/every 3 months. They are increasing my bill to $150/3 months starting March 20th. This is inconsistent and not what was promised when the advertisement indicated the following "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

To allow me to keep my plan as I have fulfilled my side of the contract to continue to be an active customer at $120/3 months for the same service I was guaranteed without having to switch to another carrier.

7. Enter your personal info
8. Attach a photo of the public mobile post screenshot if you want.
Thanks, submitted.
Member
User avatar
Sep 18, 2017
478 posts
635 upvotes
Vancouver
Why the f is this thread continually moved and merged?

Congratulations on burying it in a sub-forum instead of having it on the main page and giving it the attention it deserves

Image
Sr. Member
Feb 18, 2004
757 posts
210 upvotes
MaxPower19 wrote: If this backlash does translate into hundreds of CCTS complaints, they’ll probably back down. Rogers has reversed plans a couple times because of backlash/mass CCTS complaints over an incident.
Judging by the way the PM PR/media/mod teams tweeted and replied, PM fully anticipates backlash from people affected by this price hike. I am 100% sure PM/Telus ran this by their counsel before going ahead with it. Therefore I don't think the legal route or complaining to CCTS would help much. That said, negative press might force them not to back down but to do something to "quiet" those who are angry, maybe by sweetening the deal a little. Frankly I'd be OK if they allow me to keep the current plan until my next billing cycle, and pay me $100 to move to Koodo for the $40/4GB plan. The $100 should be to compensate me for the trouble, and also to cover the additional cost for moving to Koodo (I will be paying $30/year more than right now, plus the $15 Koodo SIM).

I'd still complain to CCTS though and hopefully generate some negative press.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
1980 posts
1035 upvotes
Vancouveresque
kaiseki wrote: Why the f is this thread continually moved and merged?

Congratulations on burying it in a sub-forum instead of having it on the main page and giving it the attention it deserves

Image
I think everybody who is affected and uses RFD will go looking for it here if they want to discuss it. I know that I'd be irritated by seeing it in Hot Deals if I wasn't personally affected..

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)