Cell Phones

Public Mobile price increase.

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2021 9:38 pm
[OP]
Member
Apr 25, 2019
309 posts
482 upvotes

Public Mobile price increase.

They have reintroduced Province-Wide Talk plans for the same price as the previous Canada-Wide plans and increased the Canada-Wide plans by $5.
Currently PM is having a sale on the Canada-Wide plans by discounting the plan by $5 which is the same plan structure as before.
The $15 plan now has 100 province-wide minutes downgraded from the previous Canada-wide plan, thus the $15 Canada wide plan is no longer available.
Here's the link to the Public Mobile Community forum:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... m-p/655479
Public Mobile plans website:
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/plans
If you are a current Public Mobile customer, your plan price and features will be grandfathered until you decide to change plans.
While a price increase is disappointing, please do not downvote this! I am only passing on the news.
Last edited by LeifS39303 on Feb 17th, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
28 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 10, 2005
4626 posts
1942 upvotes
GTA
FAQ’s:

What happens to existing customers’ plans?

There is no impact to existing customers' plans. All customers’ plans will be grandfathered, including those who had scheduled rate plan changes before this update. Note, if you change your plan you may not be able to go back to your previous plan if it is no longer available on our website.
Well, at least plans are grandfathered I guess
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2005
12214 posts
11094 upvotes
The advantage in switching to PM is getting less now for new PM subscribers.
- First, PM does not offer the $10 50/50 plan any more.
- Now, the $15 plan will have only provincial minutes.
- The reason that I did not activate the $120 90 days plan with 12GB data back in 2016 and stay with Zoomer $36 4GB monthly loyalty plan with Canada wide minutes.

I will keep my grandfathered plans with Canada wide minutes. I will not activate new PM plan after the $5 increase.

I spread my eggs over PM, Zoomer and Fido so that something change in one of my providers will keep my exposure to the rate increase to the minimum.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
34979 posts
4269 upvotes
Winnipeg
embguy wrote: The advantage in switching to PM is getting less now for new PM subscribers.
- First, PM does not offer the $10 50/50 plan any more.
- Now, the $15 plan will have only provincial minutes.
- The reason that I did not activate the $120 90 days plan with 12GB data back in 2016 and stay with Zoomer $36 4GB monthly loyalty plan with Canada wide minutes.

I will keep my grandfathered plans with Canada wide minutes. I will not activate new PM plan after the $5 increase.

I spread my eggs over PM, Zoomer and Fido so that something change in one of my providers will keep my exposure to the rate increase to the minimum.
well this $5 increase puts it on par with zoomer except zoomer offers free phone every 2 year contract renewal so no point for me to switch to public like i planned to do with this coming renewal.
Newbie
Feb 15, 2021
10 posts
7 upvotes
This is how the telcos will maintain revenue to get the unlimited minutes 2GB plans to less than $40 a month. Try to force those of us on cheap plans to pay more.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2005
12214 posts
11094 upvotes
divx wrote: well this $5 increase puts it on par with zoomer except zoomer offers free phone every 2 year contract renewal so no point for me to switch to public like i planned to do with this coming renewal.
If you are taking the advantage of the PM rewards system, you can pay less than Zoomer or even free.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone.
Newbie
User avatar
Nov 13, 2020
7 posts
14 upvotes
Saskatchewan
With rewards, my "$15" plan is only costing $1/mo right now.

The old $15 plan is already gone, and the only difference for the "new" one is province-wide calling instead of canada wide. All the other canada-wide plans are still available probably for the next 30 days, and will be grandfathered.

Even with a province wide plan, unlimited incoming calls are still included when you are anywhere in canada. For outgoing calls out-of-province, you can add 500 canada wide minutes for $5 - which is a better deal than paying $5 more every month if you don't actually use 500 or more minutes every month.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2089 posts
1512 upvotes
Something interesting with the $15 plan... The plans page on the website suggests that it only includes 250MB while Self Serve actually suggests it comes with 250MB + 250MB, which is 500MB of data in total. I wonder which one is correct...
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2005
12214 posts
11094 upvotes
IEpicDestroyer wrote: Something interesting with the $15 plan... The plans page on the website suggests that it only includes 250MB while Self Serve actually suggests it comes with 250MB + 250MB, which is 500MB of data in total. I wonder which one is correct...
Can you post a screenshot of your plan details with your personal info masked out?
My self-serve plan details shows only 250MB at 3G speed
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2089 posts
1512 upvotes
embguy wrote: Can you post a screenshot of your plan details with your personal info masked out?
My self-serve plan details shows only 250MB at 3G speed
Attempt to change plans in Self Serve and you'll see it as the $15 option. In some of the threads discussing the new plans at their Community, it also discusses this as well. In practice, no one really knows yet if it's actually 500MB or just old 250MB.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
21501 posts
2763 upvotes
Toronto
I guess this was to be expected in some ways......

I'm still locked into my Telus EPP 20GB plan until Dec 2021 & will look for a sub-$30 unlimited talk \ txt & 1+GB plan...................hoping PM will still fit the bill.


Tho as previously mentioned, PM referrals will bring the cost down & I have a few family members on PM....

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2017
1137 posts
533 upvotes
hm.. I downgraded my dad to the 15$ plan since he got the Christmas bonus data.

Looks like I'll have to put him back on the 25$ plan.

sigh... It was nice only paying 9$/mo for cell service
IEpicDestroyer wrote: Something interesting with the $15 plan... The plans page on the website suggests that it only includes 250MB while Self Serve actually suggests it comes with 250MB + 250MB, which is 500MB of data in total. I wonder which one is correct...
It's 250MB.. I made the change a few months ago (Dec/November)
Nezgar wrote: With rewards, my "$15" plan is only costing $1/mo right now.

The old $15 plan is already gone, and the only difference for the "new" one is province-wide calling instead of canada wide. All the other canada-wide plans are still available probably for the next 30 days, and will be grandfathered.

Even with a province wide plan, unlimited incoming calls are still included when you are anywhere in canada. For outgoing calls out-of-province, you can add 500 canada wide minutes for $5 - which is a better deal than paying $5 more every month if you don't actually use 500 or more minutes every month.
^^This make sense. I think I"ll do the same and purchase some minutes instead of changing the plan.
Images
  • Capture.PNG
Newbie
User avatar
Nov 13, 2020
7 posts
14 upvotes
Saskatchewan
PerformingAzura wrote: hm.. I downgraded my dad to the 15$ plan since he got the Christmas bonus data. ... I think I"ll do the same and purchase some minutes instead of changing the plan.
Also keep in mind with Public Mobile limited minutes plans that outgoing calls to toll-free numbers don't come out of the 100 minutes bucket. Installing a WiFi calling app like TextNow can be a handy compliment as well if good WiFi is available.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2005
12214 posts
11094 upvotes
PerformingAzura wrote: hm.. I downgraded my dad to the 15$ plan since he got the Christmas bonus data.

Looks like I'll have to put him back on the 25$ plan.

sigh... It was nice only paying 9$/mo for cell service


It's 250MB.. I made the change a few months ago (Dec/November)


^^This make sense. I think I"ll do the same and purchase some minutes instead of changing the plan.
Your Dad's $15 plan with Canada wide minutes is already grandfathered. People can only get the $15 provincial minutes.
Login to his account. Schedule plan change on his next renewal date for the $25 with the Canada wide minutes. He will be protected even PM start charging extra $5 before his next renewal date.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2005
12214 posts
11094 upvotes
crimsona wrote: With the 100 minute plan I've just been dialing out with Google hangouts. Spent 3 hours on hold with CRA, not that I got anywhere with it...
Google handout VoIP is free anyway.
You can dial out using your PM number. Calling out to a toll free number is free on PM. I am using the old PM $10 with 50 minutes for in and out plan. Even someone call you with a toll free number will not count as your plan minutes.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone.
Sr. Member
Aug 19, 2013
764 posts
605 upvotes
TORONTO
embguy wrote: Google handout VoIP is free anyway.
You can dial out using your PM number. Calling out to a toll free number is free on PM. I am using the old PM $10 with 50 minutes for in and out plan. Even someone call you with a toll free number will not count as your plan minutes.
Does that voip service still actually work? i thought it was shutting down soon?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4962 posts
3126 upvotes
Burnaby
Canadian Cell Supplies is offering the "new" $15 plan with a bonus first month free (up-to $25 off) and other discounts. https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collec ... lic-mobile

Has anyone used this seller for public mobile and can comment about their experience?

This has been effectively a $5 price increment across the board and a simultaneous reduction of features offered. Canadian TelCos can get away with it due to oligopoly and regulator support.

BTW, is VoLTE still not available on PM?
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs

Top