Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Public Mobile

Province-wide talk, global text and 4GB for $45 and more

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 1:49 pm
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
kav2001c wrote: Thats the official claim

I can speak from experience that it is not true
Why, how low can you get it?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
Heavenleigh85 wrote: I need to get away from freedom mobile service is terrible!!! Is this company any better in regards to coverage? I need fast internet and reliable talk
Public Mobile is owned by Telus. The service is identical to Telus. So there should be no issues with coverage and reliable service.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
hkhorace wrote: I m wondering what would happen if I do not opt in for text, would I be charged for text incoming and outgoing or would i not be able to receive or send any text?
If text is not added to the plan, you won't be able to send or receive text. The service is prepaid, so if you don't purchase a feature in advance you don't have access to it on a pay per use basis.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
Heavenleigh85 wrote: I need to get away from freedom mobile service is terrible!!! Is this company any better in regards to coverage? I need fast internet and reliable talk
Aside from Freedom Mobile, there's only two national cell phone network. Rogers and Bell/Telus. All the brands and it's the same owners, or people reselling their product. Public is a subsidiary of Telus, so it's on the Telus/Bell network. It's pretty good.
Jul 27, 2016
243 posts
186 upvotes
victoria
The PM 12 gig promo for $45 after autopay seems to still be available in self serve. but even if you dont get it its regular price is 48$ (after auto pay).
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
EliteJay wrote: Hi folks, I'm new to PM and have a question:

Is the $8/$15 long distance addon a one-time charge to "reload" the account with 200/400 LD mins that don't expire, or is this a recurring charge?

I need some canada wide talk but not unlimited, and would like to buy some minutes intead of paying pay-per-use charges or upgrading to the unlim. canada wide plan.
Of course this wouldn't work if the unused minutes only roll over if I keep the addon active, etc.
The add-on purchase is not a recurring thing. Each purchase is separate and must be done individual. If you need some minutes, a single purchase can last a long time since unused minutes never expire.
Sep 9, 2008
409 posts
32 upvotes
Everywhere
I'm just heading back to Canada and will need a new cell plan and number. Should I grab something like this or is it worth signing a 2 year contract with a company for a discounted phone? I'm out of the loop.
Jul 27, 2016
243 posts
186 upvotes
victoria
Brolly wrote: I'm just heading back to Canada and will need a new cell plan and number. Should I grab something like this or is it worth signing a 2 year contract with a company for a discounted phone? I'm out of the loop.
It's a personal choice and only you can make that decision. as mentioned in previous thread Public mobile on this plan cost $45x12 +44 (1 year loyalty) x12 =1068 +phone cost. now look at what your plan would cost over two years with a different provider including phone costs. the cheapest option is your best choice.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
torontokris wrote: True enough everybody will have a plan that works or doesnt work for them.
You could look into koodo QC $49 6GB canada wide plan (enough data for you). Thats under $10/GB and gets texts in the usa.
Thanks. I have been looking at Koodo. I haven't been able to co-ordinate the billing cycles with Rogers. but I am seriously considering going with this plan before the end of the month.

I am fearful though that Koodo will jack up their rates (for current subscribers) and I would be in a worse situation than I am now with Rogers. I don't know their pricing scheme. I was scre wed over by Rogers last year where I was barely out of my grandfathered contract and they forcefully migrated me onto new plan for an additional $10/month + taxes. I have been with Rogers for over 20 + years and the only time they did something similar was more than 15 years ago when they purged the billing codes and I was on a month-month plan for something like 5 years after my contract expired.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4391 posts
1505 upvotes
QC
For those paying PM with an Amex, what value do you enter an CCV2? Front 4 number or the 3 behind the card like MC and Visa?
Mar 13, 2011
150 posts
63 upvotes
Mississauga
jfmartel wrote: For those paying PM with an Amex, what value do you enter an CCV2? Front 4 number or the 3 behind the card like MC and Visa?
Amex is always the 4 digits on the front of the card
Jul 27, 2016
243 posts
186 upvotes
victoria
Pavel wrote: Thanks. I have been looking at Koodo. I haven't been able to co-ordinate the billing cycles with Rogers. but I am seriously considering going with this plan before the end of the month.

I am fearful though that Koodo will jack up their rates (for current subscribers) and I would be in a worse situation than I am now with Rogers. I don't know their pricing scheme. I was scre wed over by Rogers last year where I was barely out of my grandfathered contract and they forcefully migrated me onto new plan for an additional $10/month + taxes. I have been with Rogers for over 20 + years and the only time they did something similar was more than 15 years ago when they purged the billing codes and I was on a month-month plan for something like 5 years after my contract expired.
when you port out doent rogers pro rate your bill? that was my undestanding of [edit] post paid. if you use 15 days out of 30 hey hey will refund you the remainder.
Last edited by DominicL044247 on Sep 24th, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4391 posts
1505 upvotes
QC
ztensa wrote: Amex is always the 4 digits on the front of the card
Thanks. Their payment check system was giving me an ok message with both number entered (and even a random one)...
Jan 12, 2013
679 posts
671 upvotes
Halifax
DominicL044247 wrote: when you port out doent rogers pro rate your bill? that was my undestanding of prepaid. if you use 15 days out of 30 hey hey will refund you the remainder.
My understanding is that there are no refunds of any sort on prepaid. Only time you would see proration or refunds would be on a postpaid plan. So, if you wanted to switch out without “losing” any money on a prepaid plan you would need to do it on, or very close to, your plan renewal date (billing date).
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
DominicL044247 wrote: when you port out doent rogers pro rate your bill? that was my undestanding of prepaid. if you use 15 days out of 30 hey hey will refund you the remainder.
Postpaid they sent me a partial bill, iirc it's what I owe for the period from my usual payment date to the day my number ported out. Prepaid is no refunds afaik.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Pavel wrote: Thanks. I have been looking at Koodo. I haven't been able to co-ordinate the billing cycles with Rogers. but I am seriously considering going with this plan before the end of the month.

... I was screwed over by Rogers last year where I was barely out of my grandfathered contract and they forcefully migrated me onto new plan for an additional $10/month + taxes. I have been with Rogers for over 20 + years and the only time they did something similar was more than 15 years ago when they purged the billing codes and I was on a month-month plan for something like 5 years after my contract expired.
Same here, long time customer, Rogers gradually increased prices then said Corp350 was no longer "available", another $10 slap. It's not how you treat someone off contract going month to month. Despite the calls, they were no longer offering retention credits, they had already stopped those 2y back. Basically they were saying shop around and I did!
Jul 27, 2016
243 posts
186 upvotes
victoria
AncasterRFD wrote: Postpaid they sent me a partial bill, iirc it's what I owe for the period from my usual payment date to the day my number ported out. Prepaid is no refunds afaik.
Yes my mistake I meant post paid in my original post. Will edit
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
3048 posts
944 upvotes
proplayer44 wrote: Just in case porting out primary causes and issues with secondary and leads to a problem or delay in your port, I would port out secondary first. Make sure it's perfect, calls, text data on PB, then primary.
Thanks, did just that for her last night. Port was instantaneous, by the time the sims were in calls and texts worked both ways. May have been fast since the port was from Telus, but either way it was pain free.
Feb 5, 2010
160 posts
54 upvotes
Hamilton
Shit, well I wasted $11 getting a PM SIM card for no reason. They should give you the number so you can register right away. Super annoying.
Jul 27, 2016
243 posts
186 upvotes
victoria
spike32 wrote: Shit, well I wasted $11 getting a PM SIM card for no reason. They should give you the number so you can register right away. Super annoying.
I believe the promo is still active once you get past the first signup screen

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)