Expired Hot Deals

[Public Mobile] Public Mobile: Second 30 Days Free (New Activations) - Sept 18-21, 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2020 11:27 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
1555 posts
1467 upvotes
fx991esplusc wrote: I just signed up for a plan with Public Mobile a week ago, does anyone if they'll let me hop onto this promo?
Unfortunately, you are out of luck. From past experience, Public mobile will not back date these flash promotions.
Public Mobile , Freedom Mobile, Tangerine
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2457 posts
3917 upvotes
Sievert wrote: You just don't understand PM's business model.
Their model is to provide little data at slow speeds and at unattractive rates. When they offer a benefit to existing customers, they refuse to provide it to a potential new customer because they don't want all the hassle and revenue of more customers.
I suspect that @will888 undestands Public Mobile's business model better than many/most. Public Mobile's business model is to offer the absolute lowest possible rates by sometimes cutting corners. But, those lowest rates come by the way of their rewards program, discounts that take time to earn.
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12.5GB
Sep 2, 2009
995 posts
705 upvotes
Ottawa
They are also trying to attract a different clientele. Offer lower data plans for lower prices.

Can you get 5...10...20+ GB from the other guys for 10 dollars more plus a tab/fee/credit for a phone? Sure.

Someone who only needs 1 or 2GB? Has their own phone? Why pay an extra 10 bucks a month for something you don't need or use?

I am on the 1GB for 25/month (before any credits or discounts). Could I cheaply get more data elsewhere? Yes, but I'd be throwing money away; I haven't even touched the 2GB (1GB x 2) free add-ons they have me (and many others) last year.

My spouse is also on the Koodo plan that they offered for a switch from PM to Koodo.
Nov 13, 2017
111 posts
183 upvotes
Vancouver
Dunkster wrote: Unfortunately, you are out of luck. From past experience, Public mobile will not back date these flash promotions.
A bit off topic but could you pls suggest a cheap plan that has fairly generous nation-wide talk minutes. I don't need data cuz I have a data only SIM from Fido. Thank you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2457 posts
3917 upvotes
RosalynG779926 wrote: A bit off topic but could you pls suggest a cheap plan that has fairly generous nation-wide talk minutes. I don't need data cuz I have a data only SIM from Fido. Thank you.
When it comes to Public Mobile, your best option would be the $25 plan that includes unlimited calling.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
1555 posts
1467 upvotes
RosalynG779926 wrote: A bit off topic but could you pls suggest a cheap plan that has fairly generous nation-wide talk minutes. I don't need data cuz I have a data only SIM from Fido. Thank you.
You could look into Freedom mobile. $99 for one year for unlimited talk and text. In Vancouver, the reception and coverage should be fine.
freedom-mobile-nationwide-unlimited-tal ... d-2362648/
Public Mobile , Freedom Mobile, Tangerine
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2457 posts
3917 upvotes
Dunkster wrote: You could look into Freedom mobile. $99 for one year for unlimited talk and text. In Vancouver, the reception and coverage should be fine.
freedom-mobile-nationwide-unlimited-tal ... d-2362648/
Join freedom for the price, and the amount of data included with the plan, but definitely not for the network.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1592 posts
968 upvotes
Toronto
Awww shoot, I thought they still had the $30 2GB plan. Was gonna sign up with this as a bonus.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2457 posts
3917 upvotes
Alexandero2 wrote: Awww shoot, I thought they still had the $30 2GB plan. Was gonna sign up with this as a bonus.
Sorry, but that ended on the 17th. You'll need to decide if either the $25 or $40 plan suits your needs.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2006
2112 posts
248 upvotes
SW Ontario
computergeek541 wrote: Sorry, but that ended on the 17th. You'll need to decide if either the $25 or $40 plan suits your needs.
It actually expired end of day on the 16th... Very misleading on PM’s part. If it expired on the 17th as stated, it would be end of day in 17th.

How many other stores end their sales/flyers at midnight the day before the end date says on their flyer? None. They end at the end of the day listed on the flyer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2457 posts
3917 upvotes
mobifree wrote: In the past has Lucky matched PM's "flash" sales?
For quite a while now, it's often Public matching Lucky. But yes, these two brands often match promotions done by the other.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2605 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto, ON
computergeek541 wrote: For quite a while now, it's often Public matching Lucky. But yes, these two brands often match promotions done by the other.
I think there's more value in Lucky's $25+ plans as the unlimited 128Kbps data usage is very useful (for WhatsApp, google maps, emails, iMessage / RCS and other light data usage).

Obviously the auto-pay, annual loyalty bonus and referral bonus are great if you can stay within the 1GB monthly (have my parents on the plan) but I think the Lucky's plan may be useful for those who may use the data a bit more.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
6445 posts
4955 upvotes
computergeek541 wrote: I suspect that @will888 undestands Public Mobile's business model better than many/most. Public Mobile's business model is to offer the absolute lowest possible rates by sometimes cutting corners. But, those lowest rates come by the way of their rewards program, discounts that take time to earn.
Lol, the lowest possible rates. In the rest of the world it costs considerably less for considerably more.

More like giving the illusion of providing low rates, so that Telus can then tell the CRTC, see? There's no need to regulate us.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2605 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Poutinesauce wrote: Lol, the lowest possible rates. In the rest of the world it costs considerably less for considerably more.

More like giving the illusion of providing low rates, so that Telus can then tell the CRTC, see? There's no need to regulate us.
"Lowest possible rate" relative to other providers in Canada.

I'm not saying it's justified, but Google, Spotify and other vendors charge less in India and other countries vs. Canada / USA.

Similarly wireless providers in Canada/USA charge more than other countries.

What can we do about this? I DON'T KNOW.
Feb 5, 2008
982 posts
314 upvotes
Fraser Valley
Shaw Mobile's $0 plan which includes unlimited Canada wide calling and texting and pay by the gig data. The only drawback is that you need to be a Shaw internet customer to take advantage of the deal.

I've had the service since it launched and I've had a great experience with the network coverage.