Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Public Mobile

WARM Certified Pre-Owned Moto G Power 2022 $189

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2023 5:41 pm
24 replies
Mar 1, 2014
327 posts
242 upvotes
And Motorola "de-spec'd " their 2022 G Power version compared, to the 2021, which was also with worse specs than the 2020. There are some YT videos about it. I know somebody with a 2021, it is sufficient for her & well built, but a bit lagging.

tew wrote: The Samsung A13 5G they have for $10 more is a much better buy. Similar specs but unlike the G power it upgrades to Android 13 and has NFC. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/sk/phone ... galaxy-a13
Samsung A13 is twice quicker on Antutu!
https://nanoreview.net/en/phone-compare ... power-2022
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2241 posts
4462 upvotes
I was looking at this phone over the weekend because I needed a replacement for my kid, and I ended up buying a used Samsung Galaxy A52 for $200. Three different sellers in the GTA who had it listed for $230-$250 on Kijiji/FB were willing to sell for $200. The one I got is in mint condition and included a Spigen case and screen protectors, which were nice bonuses. It's a much better value than the G Power 2022 or even 2021.

So if you want a lower end phone, look around in used marketplaces and make an offer.
On vacation
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
umopapisdnwei wrote: I was looking at this phone over the weekend because I needed a replacement for my kid, and I ended up buying a used Samsung Galaxy A52 for $200. Three different sellers in the GTA who had it listed for $230-$250 on Kijiji/FB were willing to sell for $200. The one I got is in mint condition and included a Spigen case and screen protectors, which were nice bonuses. It's a much better value than the G Power 2022 or even 2021.

So if you want a lower end phone, look around in used marketplaces and make an offer.
Problem with used phones in marketplaces is that it happens very often that they get blacklisted because they get declared stolen or they were given on contract and the individual decided to cancel contract but not pay off the balance.
Was considering getting a pixel 6a (which is often selling between $290 and $350 on marketplaces), but I have 1 friend and 1 colleague in the last year that have been burned and stuck with blacklisted phones, that I am quite hesitant. In one case, the phone worked fine for nearly 6 months before it stopped :(
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
tew wrote: The Samsung A13 5G they have for $10 more is a much better buy. Similar specs but unlike the G power it upgrades to Android 13 and has NFC. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/sk/phone ... galaxy-a13
Do you know how many more updates the A13 5G will receive? My other concern is the storage space. Android 13 alone takes up 33.1GB on my A32, that would leave a bit over 30GB for new apps and other things, not sure that's enough for my son who just turned 21.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
althetrainer wrote: Do you know how many more updates the A13 5G will receive? My other concern is the storage space. Android 13 alone takes up 33.1GB on my A32, that would leave a bit over 30GB for new apps and other things, not sure that's enough for my son who just turned 21.
I would be surprised if the A13 5G gets anything past Android 13 (unless they release one for the A13, and decide to extend it to the A13 5G also. The A13 5G was released in 2021 with Android 11. So getting 2 major upgrades is pretty respectable for a budget phone. Keep in mind that you could install a MicroSD card and format it as "internal" storage. Not every app would be able to be installed on it, but there are many that could. And for stuff like google "offline" maps (to save data), you could force them onto the SD card to avoid taking up main storage. My son (22) has the older Moto G power (2020). Nice phone, great battery life, and both my kids prefer the 3.5" audio jack. BUT, the biggest drawback on the G Power (even on the 2022 model), is the lack of NFC. No NFC, no google pay :( Don't know what Moto is thinking with releasing a phone in 2022 with no NFC. Even the cheaper Moto G play (new 2023 edition - released in December) has no NFC.

For the A13, keep in mind there is at least 2 version (the A13 and the A13 5G): https://nanoreview.net/en/phone-compare ... galaxy-a13
And there is a performance difference between the 2.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2516 upvotes
Halifax
Emporium wrote: Problem with used phones in marketplaces is that it happens very often that they get blacklisted because they get declared stolen or they were given on contract and the individual decided to cancel contract but not pay off the balance.
Was considering getting a pixel 6a (which is often selling between $290 and $350 on marketplaces), but I have 1 friend and 1 colleague in the last year that have been burned and stuck with blacklisted phones, that I am quite hesitant. In one case, the phone worked fine for nearly 6 months before it stopped :(
If you are going to sell a stolen phone you you sell a good stolen phone. I have more confidence when I buy closeouts or non flagship phones from sellers. I have my doubts any carrier is going to blacklist a $100 phone. They can, but they will not. saying that, I tend not to buy from marketplaces, because the phones tend to be overpriced, and beat up.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8552 posts
11762 upvotes
GTA
althetrainer wrote: Do you know how many more updates the A13 5G will receive? My other concern is the storage space. Android 13 alone takes up 33.1GB on my A32, that would leave a bit over 30GB for new apps and other things, not sure that's enough for my son who just turned 21.
The A13 will probably only get security updates and not any more OS updates. I don't know why Android 13 is so large on your A32 but the system folder on my A13 is 16.15GB. I'm going to look for a sale on a microSD card to store any photos and videos.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2019
1807 posts
3771 upvotes
YXE, Sask.
I've heard the Samsung Galaxy A14 5G should be dropping any day soon. It comes with Android 13 out of box, and will get Android 14 and 15 plus 4 years of security updates if updates are of concern.
Koodo $34 50 GB
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
Emporium wrote:
I would be surprised if the A13 5G gets anything past Android 13 (unless they release one for the A13, and decide to extend it to the A13 5G also. The A13 5G was released in 2021 with Android 11. So getting 2 major upgrades is pretty respectable for a budget phone. Keep in mind that you could install a MicroSD card and format it as "internal" storage. Not every app would be able to be installed on it, but there are many that could. And for stuff like google "offline" maps (to save data), you could force them onto the SD card to avoid taking up main storage. My son (22) has the older Moto G power (2020). Nice phone, great battery life, and both my kids prefer the 3.5" audio jack. BUT, the biggest drawback on the G Power (even on the 2022 model), is the lack of NFC. No NFC, no google pay :( Don't know what Moto is thinking with releasing a phone in 2022 with no NFC. Even the cheaper Moto G play (new 2023 edition - released in December) has no NFC.

For the A13, keep in mind there is at least 2 version (the A13 and the A13 5G): https://nanoreview.net/en/phone-compare ... galaxy-a13
And there is a performance difference between the 2.
Thanks for the info. I still have three other android phones that are 100% functional if not because of their OS being out of date, from 7 to 9. I remember keeping a phone for 5 years back in the day but now we're forced to buy new phones more often because they keep pushing out new OS. My A32 will suffer the same fate since it came out in 2021 with Android 11 and now they've just updated to 13, likely will get only security updates but no more.

I do like Moto phones but they seem to be lagging behind the market for whatever reasons. I remember converting the microSD into "internal memory" some apps still refused to go there. The biggest problem was that the conversion tended to corrupt the card and once that happened it was a total mess. It happened to me once so never again.
tew wrote:
The A13 will probably only get security updates and not any more OS updates. I don't know why Android 13 is so large on your A32 but the system folder on my A13 is 16.15GB. I'm going to look for a sale on a microSD card to store any photos and videos.
Thanks. I noticed most apps can't be moved to a microSD, in that case, I will look for a different phone for him. I have no idea why Android 13 is so big on my A32. Android 12 was only 20GB until it got updated. Fortunately, my phone has 128GB so storage is not a problem to me.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8552 posts
11762 upvotes
GTA
althetrainer wrote:
Thanks. I noticed most apps can't be moved to a microSD, in that case, I will look for a different phone for him. I have no idea why Android 13 is so big on my A32. Android 12 was only 20GB until it got updated. Fortunately, my phone has 128GB so storage is not a problem to me.
You don't need the apps to be on the microSD. There will be plenty of room if the photos/videos are stored on the card leaving the internal storage for apps. I don't have a card yet and I have downloaded 12 apps and still have 41GB of storage left. There's 102 apps on my phone and they take up a total of 7.57GB
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
6948 posts
7521 upvotes
BC
Dumb question, but phones sold by carriers are locked to be only used on that carrier's network, correct?
-Read store exceptions before combining discounts with cash back sites
-HomeDepot clearance prices are not shown on stocktrack or HD.ca
-There is a difference between NEED (necessities) and WANT (desires). The word NEED is over-used on RFD and in general.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8552 posts
11762 upvotes
GTA
SizzleChest wrote: Dumb question, but phones sold by carriers are locked to be only used on that carrier's network, correct?
Nope, not since 2017 in Canada, just over 5 years ago.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
6948 posts
7521 upvotes
BC
tew wrote: Nope, not since 2017 in Canada, just over 5 years ago.
Are locked phones no longer allowed to be sold in Canada at all then?
-Read store exceptions before combining discounts with cash back sites
-HomeDepot clearance prices are not shown on stocktrack or HD.ca
-There is a difference between NEED (necessities) and WANT (desires). The word NEED is over-used on RFD and in general.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2357 posts
907 upvotes
Good price but is 4GB of ram sufficient for today?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8552 posts
11762 upvotes
GTA
kenvin100 wrote: Good price but is 4GB of ram sufficient for today?
These are entry level phones meant for casual users. I was using a 3GB phone until a few weeks ago.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5679 upvotes
VANCOUVER
kenvin100 wrote: Good price but is 4GB of ram sufficient for today?
tew wrote: These are entry level phones meant for casual users. I was using a 3GB phone until a few weeks ago.
Unless you're a power user, or gamer, 4GB is plenty. Just like Tew, I have still have 3GB secondary phones in active service. (I think I've retired all the 2GB phones!) Heck, the Essential Phone, which was my daily driver until July 2022, worked great with only 4GB. My LG G7,which I'm still using, only has 4GB, and works just fine. I think a lot of people get sucked in to the notion that you need a phone with 8 - 12 GB of RAM. It's not a Windows PC! lol
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5679 upvotes
VANCOUVER
SizzleChest wrote: Dumb question, but phones sold by carriers are locked to be only used on that carrier's network, correct?
tew wrote: Nope, not since 2017 in Canada, just over 5 years ago.
Only exception is iPhones on the Bell network. And even then, they unlock automatically when you insert an active Bell sim.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)