Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 3, 2015
38 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Public Mobile - Is it worth it?

Has anyone tried public mobile? I messed around and made an unlimited talk, text and 1gb data for $45. It has the 4G LTE network since it is under Telus. Although it doesn't offer any cell phones, is it worth it? http://publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans
11 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3773 posts
1050 upvotes
Home
Couple of things:
1. It is pre-paid, so unless you have a separate data add-on pre-purchased, your cannot use data once you reach 1GB cap.
2. As you know, it is bring-your-own-phone.
3. It doesn't have any roaming available out of Canada.
4. Harder to get timely support due to lack of physical presence (I've heard now there are PM shops opening, so it may be different now).
[OP]
Jun 3, 2015
38 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks I am going to try to use this as leverage when talking to fido retention. Wish me luck.
Apr 17, 2014
978 posts
401 upvotes
Corunna, ON
I have one line for my mother in law. No data though just talk and text. Had no problems. There may be issues getting the data to work on an iphone though. Maybe that has changed now but I think it was something with the APN settings. Might want to look into that.
Jan 15, 2014
529 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
My wife uses one of the grandfathered plans with the Canada wide talk text and a gb of data and has no issues. iMsg works for her as the older plans had international text Inc. The new plans do not include int text so iMsg is a complaint. PM are thinking about making it work as per conversation with one of the moderators.

The iPhone i4s and up will work without any real issues but you will require iOS 8 to be able to edit apn. The i4 and below will work as well but it requires downloading the apn from unlockit website and even then no MMS.
[OP]
Jun 3, 2015
38 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yeah I am planning on buying a samsung s5 online for 360 and then getting a public mobile for 43 if I set up the autopay + an additional $1 off if I get my brother to switch. Lets see if Fido will give me a better deal. Otherwise bye bye fido.
Apr 2, 2015
230 posts
92 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Telus, there are crickets chirping and the steeped tea is already cold. Brush off the Rogers hat trick on Mobilicity and get in the game this period please.

Keep sending me free beta SIMs I suppose. Free adapters I guess as not one will be activated until you revamp the plan generator to come up with a DEAL for self supporting consumers. Could the luchador marketers behind Koodo please consider a data only plan that rivals flex in any market?

Perhaps it's just rebranding we need. Drop the "i" in Public and you have my activation. Will hit your forums and try to be as helpful as the name implies.

Anyone on a legacy plan with a read on why the beta is stalled and pricing is not even Koodo territory?
Apr 2, 2015
230 posts
92 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
proplayer44 wrote: I have one line for my mother in law. Might want to look into that.
Hope it's not a direct line to your mother in law. ;) if so there should be a special $2 off a month for that referral...:p

Have you set up data top ups on her legacy talk/text plan before... cost seems different in the beta than old posts?

"Public Mobile, it's good enough for my mother in law."
Apr 2, 2015
230 posts
92 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Kursor17 wrote: My wife is on the Grandfathered unlimited everything and 1GB data for $40 plus tax. No complaints.
Willing to sell, consider a PM? Just the plan though, already have a wife and no complaints either. ;)

Pretty hard to come by a sub $40 plan so probably not ... but a referral code I will take if you just laughed a little.

"Public Mobile, good enough for the wife but only if she's a grandfather..."
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1763 posts
715 upvotes
Oakville
I'd sell (the plan, not the wife), but I cant seem to convince her to switch to Tbaytel Prepaid (20GB per year for $100). $40 down to $8.33 per month isn't bad.

she, like many others believes she requires unlimited voice and txt, even though she mostly uses instant messaging (for chat, txt, voice, video).

Big 3 have done a really good job at brain washing the masses into believing they require unlimited voice and txt
canconsumer wrote: Willing to sell, consider a PM? Just the plan though, already have a wife and no complaints either. ;)

Pretty hard to come by a sub $40 plan so probably not ... but a referral code I will take if you just laughed a little.

"Public Mobile, good enough for the wife but only if she's a grandfather..."
Apr 17, 2014
978 posts
401 upvotes
Corunna, ON
canconsumer wrote: Hope it's not a direct line to your mother in law. ;) if so there should be a special $2 off a month for that referral...:p

Have you set up data top ups on her legacy talk/text plan before... cost seems different in the beta than old posts?

"Public Mobile, it's good enough for my mother in law."

We've never attempted to add data. I just logged in and checked. $10 for 200 meg or $30 for 1Gig. She on the legacy old plan $25 unlimited talk text.