Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Public Mobile

(YMMV) $10 Off/$15 Off For 12 Months For Previous Customers

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2020 8:55 pm
Apr 7, 2007
873 posts
750 upvotes
Toronto
I'll switch my mom back from Virgin. Bought a PM sim from eBay for $3 after using my $5 off code. Savings over the next 12 months will be greater than the remaining device subsidy.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
2444 posts
3165 upvotes
mischievousboy wrote: How is the service compared to koodo? Is there a noticable difference in the data speed?
Data speed slower than Koodo, which is full LTE speed. Public Mobile is LTE, capped to 3G speed. For most day to day uses of data, PM speed works fine. LTE latency with 3G speeds.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
Jul 17, 2011
142 posts
135 upvotes
Dunkster wrote: Data speed slower than Koodo, which is full LTE speed. Public Mobile is LTE, capped to 3G speed. For most day to day uses of data, PM speed works fine. LTE latency with 3G speeds.
Thanks. What if you disable LTE on your phone and run on 3G only? Theoretically it would be faster if there's no cap on the 3G connection.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
4264 posts
5639 upvotes
Muskoka
mischievousboy wrote: Thanks. What if you disable LTE on your phone and run on 3G only? Theoretically it would be faster if there's no cap on the 3G connection.
That's true and has been proven by many here and at the PM community. Most prefer the LTE network, even at lower max speed because the better latency times make it feel snappier.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
2444 posts
3165 upvotes
mischievousboy wrote: Thanks. What if you disable LTE on your phone and run on 3G only? Theoretically it would be faster if there's no cap on the 3G connection.
As stated previously, you are correct. You can manually select 3G. Usually I will just select LTE for my accounts. It seems a bit faster response. For downloads, I might choose 3G (I don't do many downloads though). Customers can choose what works better for them.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
Yes, you can. You may get higher 3G speed than 3Mbps, But it is still feel slower because 3G has higher latency which means 3G may take longer to see anything on screen. If you are using VoIP calls, high latency will result with choppy voice because of the higher latency.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Sep 14, 2018
373 posts
667 upvotes
Trying to sign up as I did get the email, ported out to Koodo a few months back.

Hilariously I can't sign up with the email they sent me the promotion to because of their activation page limitations "Your email address must contain 30 characters or less. Please try again." I've obviously signed up with this email before, and they emailed me the promotion at this email and now I can't sign up!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
2444 posts
3165 upvotes
asmcar wrote: Trying to sign up as I did get the email, ported out to Koodo a few months back.

Hilariously I can't sign up with the email they sent me the promotion to because of their activation page limitations "Your email address must contain 30 characters or less. Please try again." I've obviously signed up with this email before, and they emailed me the promotion at this email and now I can't sign up!
Website can be finicky. You can clear cache, incognito mode or another browser. Chrome incognito works well with PM site.

Maybe try the live chat feature for help on activation
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-started

If that fails, you may need to contact moderator.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
Sep 14, 2018
373 posts
667 upvotes
Dunkster wrote: Website can be finicky. You can clear cache, incognito mode or another browser. Chrome incognito works well with PM site.

Maybe try the live chat feature for help on activation
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-started

If that fails, you may need to contact moderator.
I PM'd the moderator on their community page. To be honest I know their support is lacking because they're a budget option but it's a pretty bad sign up experience. Tried the live chat, got no agent available and instead of placing you in a queue it just kicks you off.

So I tried their chatbot and then submitting a ticket, but if you select 'something else' as the problem then explain the issue, it requires you to verify your account before submitting the ticket, which once again, you can't do as you haven't activated an account yet. It's just one thing after another - a comedy of errors really.

I'm sure it will be sorted eventually and i've been with them before so I know once you're signed up the service is fine but they're not making it easy!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
2444 posts
3165 upvotes
The live chat feature is something new and likely short term only. Public mobile did have kiosks across Canada. With Covid, the kiosk workers were not working so they are now helping with the live chat feature. Live chat only can help with activation issues and have no access to account issues. Once the kiosks reopen, then the live chat feature will likely be eliminated. It is possible that the live chat does not operate on weekends or less workers online.

Overall, the online customer service has been improving the last year. PM did hire more moderators.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
Sep 14, 2018
373 posts
667 upvotes
Dunkster wrote: The live chat feature is something new and likely short term only. Public mobile did have kiosks across Canada. With Covid, the kiosk workers were not working so they are now helping with the live chat feature. Live chat only can help with activation issues and have no access to account issues. Once the kiosks reopen, then the live chat feature will likely be eliminated. It is possible that the live chat does not operate on weekends or less workers online.

Overall, the online customer service has been improving the last year. PM did hire more moderators.
Got through to live chat in incognito, they couldn't help even though this is really an 'activation' issue since I can't even activate the sim. Their suggestion was submitting a ticket, I'll wait for them to reply to my PM I suppose. Glad i'm still with another carrier and this isn't urgent to resolve for my service.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
asmcar wrote: Trying to sign up as I did get the email, ported out to Koodo a few months back.

PM is still remember your old email address on their self-serve portal. PM self-serve login uses email address as the username. Therefore, the activation system do not allow to create another account with an email address already used. I think the error message is giving you the wrong message.

Online chat agent is not PM community forum moderator. That is the reason why @asmcar post about how to contact moderator. But you need to create a community account first. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca
Since you don't have PM account yet, it is easier to send a private message to moderator team to ask them to remove your old account email address from their self-serve system so that you can create a new account with the same email address receiving the offer.
Good luck
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
2444 posts
3165 upvotes
IEpicDestroyer wrote: $3.99 for the SIM sounds like a really good price, they deliver reliably and the SIM works fine?
According to several PM community members, no issues at all. Personally I have not ordered. This website also sells via eBay but at a increased cost.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
4025 posts
6396 upvotes
spots01 wrote: No. The $10 offer is for $25 or lower (not higher)
Thanks. I see that now. I find that to be a strange way to advertise.
Public Mobile customer: $40 75GB 5G Canada-US plan
EQ Bank Savings Plus Account
Wealthsimple Premium client
Neo Financial customer
May 30, 2020
1 posts
Anyone order a sim card from canadiancellsupplies recently? Wonder how long it would take to ship these days.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
I got this e-mail too. On an account with complicated history. Ported to Koodo. Then re-opened again for a few months
and let expire....

Might be tempted to either jump back from Koodo, or just to open a $3/month minimalistic line for a year.
Too bad the promo does not allow plan change mid-way.

How are those outrageous call problems with PM? Resolved by now?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
2444 posts
3165 upvotes
Tichi wrote: I got this e-mail too. On an account with complicated history. Ported to Koodo. Then re-opened again for a few months
and let expire....

Might be tempted to either jump back from Koodo, or just to open a $3/month minimalistic line for a year.
Too bad the promo does not allow plan change mid-way.

How are those outrageous call problems with PM? Resolved by now?
No recent isssues with talk with PM.

BTW, for this interested, PM just lowered SIM costs to $5. Order from PM website if interested.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
2444 posts
3165 upvotes
turtleshells wrote: Anyone order a sim card from canadiancellsupplies recently? Wonder how long it would take to ship these days.
According to community forum members, this vendor sends by Canada Post. Usually receive SIM card within one week. To more remote areas, may take longer.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
Aug 7, 2011
118 posts
26 upvotes
BRAMPTON
I also recaived this email...so how do i activate it now? I do have another line with public mobile though.

Do i try to login with the old email with which the promotion is linked? or i would have to create a new account and buy a sim and then...enter this promo somewhere?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)