• May 23rd, 2021 7:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
2925 posts
2967 upvotes
Province of Bring Ca…

Public Storage in GVA

Unfortunately we're being forced to downsize as our landlord is coming back to Canada and gave us really short notice, and we don't want to risk ourselves to stay with them together so we had to act quick and find a smaller suite. We need some space to store our stuffs in the next 3-4 months, before our presale condo completes.

Does anyone know a good self storage in BBY/VAN/NW/N.VAN with good security and, of course, good pricing? I found most storage to be $130+/month for a mere 5'x5' space and my US colleague (in PA) can't imagine the crazy price Face With Tears Of Joy
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
6050 posts
5871 upvotes
Vancouver
Pricing is all about location.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2705 posts
2055 upvotes
Vancouveresque
Since when is it GVA and not GVR?
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Get that crap out of your signature.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15885 posts
21653 upvotes
Vancouver
GeeCee wrote: Since when is it GVA and not GVR?
Since always?
GVA is RFD slang for metro Vancouver. Probably derived from GTA. Where does GVR come from? What’s the R?
I’m just glad he didn’t use the 3-letter airport code to mean the whole metro area. That’s just sick and wrong!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
6050 posts
5871 upvotes
Vancouver
Unless you're in government or a politician, I don't think anyone uses GVR.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3187 posts
2853 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
naticom wrote: ...my US colleague (in PA) can't imagine the crazy price Face With Tears Of Joy
Move to PA then. You're welcome. :)
Different storage places have different prices, and even different locations of the same chain have inconsistent prices. Certainly pays to shop around. In this regard I can't help. Sorry.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12516 posts
15671 upvotes
Spinner wrote: Unless you're in government or a politician, I don't think anyone uses GVR.
Its the other way with me, beside on RFD, no one uses GVA. GVR is the more common term. GVRD is another term that is often used. That is a favorite with governments and politicians.
Have a nice day!

Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5302 posts
3768 upvotes
Vancouver
A few years ago the naming officially became Greater Vancouver Area instead of region/district. Since then it has become the common term used by most.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15885 posts
21653 upvotes
Vancouver
Paigne wrote: A few years ago the naming officially became Greater Vancouver Area instead of region/district. Since then it has become the common term used by most.
No it actually became Metro Vancouver Regional District, or MVRD, which nobody uses. The old term GVRD is still used by many. "Greater Vancouver Area" isn't official at all. When you say that Greater Vancouver Area "has become the common term used by most" do you mean here on RFD? Because I don't see it being used outside of RFD. And "GVR"? That's an extremely rare one.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29402 posts
14902 upvotes
Back to OP's original post, Queensborough is pretty cheap. 5x5x10 is roughly $100.
Queensborough Storage has the best access hours (9PM) but Annacis lockup feels more secure. Their hours suck though.
Public storage can be a great deal with their "$1" first month (actually about $20 since you have to buy a crappy lock) but there's no strings. $20 gets you basically any size for a month then regular price applies.
So even averaged over 2 months it's pretty okay. The facilities at the ones I've been to have been meh at best, but you can't argue the first month cost.

Vancouver (especially proper) is gonna be expensive since land is expensive.
Surrey gets even cheaper. There's Seaboard which is apparently $80 for a 5x5. But if you live in Vancouver proper, the mileage bill is gonna be more than the cost difference in storage pricing especially if you're driving a U-Haul.

Kiraly wrote: Where does GVR come from? What’s the R?
I always figured it was Greater VancouveR or Greater Vancouver Regional and they dropped the district.
I’m just glad he didn’t use the 3-letter airport code to mean the whole metro area. That’s just sick and wrong!
How about YXX instead Face With Tears Of Joy
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.