[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2814 posts
1211 upvotes
Quebec

Pull up question

So kid is now 2 years and is not interested in potty training at all for now

We often ask him if he wants to go on it without forcing him, as we know it can do worse the good to force him. But we still try different approach to try to make him interested

Question tho

Would changing hi full time from diapers to pull up ( at home and daycare) might help him want to try it? Or it’s a waste of time for now

Thanks
14 replies
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7194 posts
2228 upvotes
0 downvotes
it worked for both my kids
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26693 posts
5819 upvotes
Might work, it might not. They have to be mentally ready and if they're not, nothing will work. But you never know unless you try.

I tried to potty train my son when he turned 2. It didn't work at all. A month later, he just started using the toilet himself. I didn't have to do anything at all.

So keep at it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7173 posts
9145 upvotes
The NORTH
Make it fun, I did a Potty Board for my daughter. Just a cork board with stars on it. It was kept by the toilet and she got to move stars around the board when she went potty. It took less than two weeks from diapers to training underwear.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7194 posts
2228 upvotes
0 downvotes
give them a treat like a smarties or skittles or life saver every time they go pottie, it worked for me
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2540 posts
2489 upvotes
Ottawa
Agree with @Shaner. It might work, it might not, but it's worth a try.

We took a pretty organic approach and let our son lead the potty training. Letting him train when he was ready, with some small encouraging nudges here and there, worked for us. But it took an incremental approach over ~15 months.

He started showing interest around 22 months. He was mostly poop trained around 2 years. He was still in diapers at his dayhome or for long outings, but we started to use cloth pull-ups (that only absorb 1 pee) when home.

We moved him full-time to disposable pull-ups for his dayhome when our box of diapers ran out, around 30 months. At 33 months, he was almost potty trained (very rarely pooped in his diaper, and pull-ups, both disposable or cloth, remained dry most of the time), but there was still some reluctance to go the whole way.

A few weeks ago, we decided to rip off the bandaid and made a big deal about taking him to by big boy underpants. We started putting them on him full time at home, though he was still in his disposable pull-ups at his dayhome. He had a handful of accidents (peed on the floor or grass, or had an accident at nap time), and that was that. Now we actually goes to the bathroom himself - walks in there, pulls down his pants, pees, pulls his pants back up, and washes his hands.

He's just over 36 months.

He still wears something more absorbent for naps and bed, but he went to his dayhome in underwear for the first time this morning.
Apr 24, 2017
134 posts
48 upvotes
vancouver
We took a longer period of time with potty training. It would have been much faster had it not be for the pandemic. The daycare started training at around 16months because other kids were starting so they made it a class activity to introduce and see watch them go at their own pace. We then also doing it more at home. But then we stopped because pandemic closed the day care for some time and during that time, interest was lost.
We slowly got her interested again by reading books and playing the potty training song on Cocomelon.
Figured out pooping very quick. Peeing took a bit longer. But we let her go at her own pace.

Below is a rough timeline for us

started at 16months
paused from 17-21 months
mastered pooping at 22months
mastered holding overnight/nap pee around 23-25 months
consistently using potty around 28 months
no more day time pull ups by 30 months
no more night pull ups by 36 months (This was more me being paranoid about having an accident.)
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2540 posts
2489 upvotes
Ottawa
donlaw wrote: We took a longer period of time with potty training. It would have been much faster had it not be for the pandemic. The daycare started training at around 16months because other kids were starting so they made it a class activity to introduce and see watch them go at their own pace. We then also doing it more at home. But then we stopped because pandemic closed the day care for some time and during that time, interest was lost.
We slowly got her interested again by reading books and playing the potty training song on Cocomelon.
Figured out pooping very quick. Peeing took a bit longer. But we let her go at her own pace.

Below is a rough timeline for us

started at 16months
paused from 17-21 months
mastered pooping at 22months
mastered holding overnight/nap pee around 23-25 months
consistently using potty around 28 months
no more day time pull ups by 30 months
no more night pull ups by 36 months (This was more me being paranoid about having an accident.)
Some of that order is actually atypical. It's easier to day train than night train, and most people recommend waiting to night train until daytime is mastered. You seem to have experienced the reverse.

Statistically, kids tend not to be consistently dry at night until 3.5-4 years old on average, but it's common to be in night time pullups until school age ... and accidents until 6 or 7 years are pretty common.

Our 37 month old isn't fully sleep trained yet. He's solid and dry while awake, but he still wears his overnight pullups at night. He was dry the last 2 nights, though!
Apr 24, 2017
134 posts
48 upvotes
vancouver
Dynatos wrote: Some of that order is actually atypical. It's easier to day train than night train, and most people recommend waiting to night train until daytime is mastered. You seem to have experienced the reverse.

Statistically, kids tend not to be consistently dry at night until 3.5-4 years old on average, but it's common to be in night time pullups until school age ... and accidents until 6 or 7 years are pretty common.

Our 37 month old isn't fully sleep trained yet. He's solid and dry while awake, but he still wears his overnight pullups at night. He was dry the last 2 nights, though!
Yea true, out of all my friends only 3 of us experienced the same for mastering night training. At first I thought it was a gender thing because 2 of us had girls, but then when the 3rd one which was a boy said they experienced the same, then just threw that theory out the window lol
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15230 posts
20497 upvotes
Vancouver
We just let our girls run around the house with no pants at all at that age. They seem to be much more aware of when they pee when it starts running down their leg. That gave them a built in incentive to use the potty pretty quick. The handful of times we had to wipe pee up off the floor was well worth how quickly they learned to use the potty.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1077 posts
716 upvotes
Toronto
Not working in my case for my son. He doesn't like pull ups but does show interest of sitting on the toy toilet pretending. I will let him run his course.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12975 posts
7071 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: We just let our girls run around the house with no pants at all at that age. They seem to be much more aware of when they pee when it starts running down their leg. That gave them a built in incentive to use the potty pretty quick. The handful of times we had to wipe pee up off the floor was well worth how quickly they learned to use the potty.
Lol, whatever works I guess.

My oldest was odd. He start pooping on the toilet very early, well before he turned 2, but continued to pee in his diaper well past 2. I would have thought it would go the other way around.

My youngest, was well past 2 and showing no signs of the same trend, still doing everything in his diapers. Then one day, done. Was in undies a week later. Our daycare lady was a huge part in all this for both kids frankly. She did all the work. Lol.

I still have Kirkland baby wipes from the last box I bought for the youngest before the switch flipped. Lol.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7194 posts
2228 upvotes
0 downvotes
if it makes you feel better my friends daughter is 6 or 7 and still wears a pull up at nite time and for car rides
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2540 posts
2489 upvotes
Ottawa
Gutty96 wrote: Lol, whatever works I guess.

My oldest was odd. He start pooping on the toilet very early, well before he turned 2, but continued to pee in his diaper well past 2. I would have thought it would go the other way around.

My youngest, was well past 2 and showing no signs of the same trend, still doing everything in his diapers. Then one day, done. Was in undies a week later. Our daycare lady was a huge part in all this for both kids frankly. She did all the work. Lol.

I still have Kirkland baby wipes from the last box I bought for the youngest before the switch flipped. Lol.
I think this is the typical order. It's easier to recognize that you have to poop, and hold in a poop, than it is to train your kegels to hold in a pee. A big mushy turd smashed into your rear end is also a lot more uncomfortable than warm liquid absorbed into the diaper.

Our son was mostly pooping in the toilet before 2 years, but we only retired the daytime training pants a couple weeks after his 3rd birthday.

He's 6 weeks past his third birthday. He had a couple pee accidents last week, but he's still going strong without pull-ups. He wears night time pull-ups, though, and I'd estimate he's maybe 60/40 on them (60% of mornings he's wet, 40% he's dry).
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12975 posts
7071 upvotes
Dynatos wrote: I think this is the typical order. It's easier to recognize that you have to poop, and hold in a poop, than it is to train your kegels to hold in a pee. A big mushy turd smashed into your rear end is also a lot more uncomfortable than warm liquid absorbed into the diaper.

Our son was mostly pooping in the toilet before 2 years, but we only retired the daytime training pants a couple weeks after his 3rd birthday.

He's 6 weeks past his third birthday. He had a couple pee accidents last week, but he's still going strong without pull-ups. He wears night time pull-ups, though, and I'd estimate he's maybe 60/40 on them (60% of mornings he's wet, 40% he's dry).
Oh, Maybe, those are good points. It's been a long time. LOL.