Puppy behavior

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2020 11:48 am
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 12, 2020
1 posts

Puppy behavior

I have a 16 week old Alaskan malamute, male puppy. Overall he’s a very good puppy, he sleeps in his crate, and will go in on command. Behavior wise in the last few days he has started something new where he is whimpering for what seems like no reason, he is fed, he has been outside, gone potty etc but yet cries... I have been asking myself if he’s over stimulated? Just now I made some lunch, while it cooked I went through his training and played a little with him, I went to sit down and eat and the bad behavior starts, jumping up at me, biting me, whining. I took him off the sofa several times, then gave in and gave him something to chew on this kept him quiet for 20 minutes then he starts again, jumping up, biting so I have put him in his crate now. I don’t like that idea though, that he has to be crated to settle.. maybe it’s okay? He doesn’t whimper once in the crate so I don’t think anything is physically wrong with him. We recently moved so his routine has changed but it’s really like if I’m sitting down or laying in my bed and he’s freely walking around he’s whining and jumping up and biting as before he could just fall asleep on the floor. I’m currently working from home so he doesn’t have much crate time in the day but I have kept some crate time in place say 2-3 hours even if I’m home as that’s what he has when I’m at work. Any advice welcome! Thank you!
9 replies
Apr 27, 2017
211 posts
196 upvotes
he's a puppy that is all...they are easily distracted and want attention

also maybe not enough time outside playing
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6420 posts
1217 upvotes
Sounds like puppy is trying to let you know that he wants more attention and interaction.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3385 posts
635 upvotes
OP - Is your Alaskan Malamute your first dog (they are not recommended for first time dog owners). The fact that your pup will go into his crate is wonderful - we have never been that lucky.

I think that your pup is looking for more attention than he is getting from you as mentioned by the other posters. Remember that same breed dogs come in a variety of temperaments. We have only had one Alpha at a time (one of 4 dogs at once) so that helped and all were of the same breed.

I can't quite figure out from your post if you are allowing your pup on the sofa and bed or not. Most definitely our dogs would whimper and cry if they were not allowed up - with progressive crying and whining until they were. We of course gave in and let them up. We had obedience classes and socialization - the works, including private lessons. Our last dog was a dream with the trainers - until they left and then back to normal.

At 16 weeks your pup should have had all of his shots - next stop will be the groomer! Actually it is good for the pup to get used to grooming because he would benefit from the touching (a lot easier earlier than later) and you will have a lot of fur. Our last dog was not an Alaskan Malamute but was very furry (double coated and he shed like you wouldn't believe). He had to be groomed frequently and we did start him off young. But what we wouldn't give to have his fur everywhere now.

Best of luck with your pup.
Jan 29, 2015
25 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
As a parent of a 6-month old golden retriever, it seems like yoru dog may be over-tired and or over simulated. Sometimes crating them is the best thing for them, because it is like their bedroom.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3385 posts
635 upvotes
OP - Perhaps you should look at an Alaskan Malamute forum (they do exist) - I know, I checked. I find it is always best to do this.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2002
2997 posts
203 upvotes
Oakville
Seems like normal puppy behavior.
Crate shouldn't be used for "punishment", should be a happy place. It's great he goes there on command.
If he needs attention and you don't have the time or don't feel like playing, give him something to occupy himself, chew toy/Kong.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25223 posts
4324 upvotes
Puppies all do this. It's called puppy behaviour. On top of that, you have a breed with an insanely high energy level. Malamutes also tend to be very vocal, demanding dogs. You picked a very, very difficult breed. I truly hope this isn't your first dog. If it is, get ready because that dog will challenge you for the next 10+ years.

I don't believe you can over stimulate a puppy. If it's tired, it will crash, it doesn't need to be put into a crate for that. Most likely, your dog is bored. Malamutes have never ending energy and need an extreme amount of physical exercise.

I've had dogs my whole life, including 2 huskies. I don't recommend them as pets and I wouldn't get one again for myself. It's extremely demanding and challenging and it's completely unfair to crate them as a means to stop behaviour that is typical of that breed and puppies in general.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3385 posts
635 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Puppies all do this. It's called puppy behaviour. On top of that, you have a breed with an insanely high energy level. Malamutes also tend to be very vocal, demanding dogs. You picked a very, very difficult breed. I truly hope this isn't your first dog. If it is, get ready because that dog will challenge you for the next 10+ years.

I don't believe you can over stimulate a puppy. If it's tired, it will crash, it doesn't need to be put into a crate for that. Most likely, your dog is bored. Malamutes have never ending energy and need an extreme amount of physical exercise.

I've had dogs my whole life, including 2 huskies. I don't recommend them as pets and I wouldn't get one again for myself. It's extremely demanding and challenging and it's completely unfair to crate them as a means to stop behaviour that is typical of that breed and puppies in general.
Agreed.
Mar 11, 2012
288 posts
74 upvotes
a tired dog is a good dog, never heard of over stimulation where a dog cries.

Over stimulation can be seen if they are too tired to perform tasks/tricks etc.

Had a Husky that required at least two hours of walks to be calm.