• Feb 17th, 2021 12:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10277 posts
670 upvotes
Mississauga

Puppy not eating as much anymore?

I have a 5 month old border collie/collie male. He pretty much eats 3 cups a day of Kirkland puppy food but lately (past month) have noticed that he typically only eats 2 cups worth, ie doesn't eat dinner.

He is getting less exercise due to the weather (still gets walks in the evening but not much throughout the day). Am I following the feeding guide too strictly? Is he old enough to transition to feeding him just twice a day instead of trying for 3 times?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3405 posts
645 upvotes
Tijuana, Is your pup always hungry, as in a real food hoover? Ours was, even at 16.5 years of age. He ate Fromm Four Star from the time he was 7 months (it was an all age food), plus, plus, plus - I am sure you get the picture. There was nothing that was not food - including items that were not.

I am not familiar with the Kirkland brand of puppy food. But only you can answer the question as to whether or not this is sudden, based on your pup's eating habits. Exercise would not have figured into the equation with regards to our pup's food at all. But some people can free feed and their dogs will just eat when they are hungry. And while I hate to say it, you need to take your pup for walks during the day if you are at home! I know it is hard - and try having a major snow eater in the house.

It probably wouldn't hurt just to call your vet's office and ask if he should be transitioned to adult food at this stage of his life. If you do go with the adult food or a different brand (even within the Kirkland family) be careful to introduce the new food slowly. Our dog could not eat the Fromm Pork and Applesauce yet across the Four Star brand of foods he should have been able to (he obviously liked it though) - I think it was the pork. And watch if the food is grain free - you have to feed less of the grain free or the pup will get fat, which can result in all sorts of other issues. And a dog on a diet is a terrible thing. Somehow despite our dog being hypothyroid we managed to keep his weight under control. How I do not know!

I hope you get your answers. Maybe check for a specific forum for Border Collie/Collie males and see what others have experienced. Our dog was similar to a Collie and I found the forum that I used to go on very helpful. Worst case is that there is an issue and you have to take your pup in to the vet - I know that it is very hard during Covid.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10277 posts
670 upvotes
Mississauga
For about 2 months anytime we'd give him food he'd eat it right away but now he doesn't. His breakfast he'll eat around lunch and his lunch he'll eat around dinner and since we don't free-feed he typically doesn't end up eating dinner.

I guess we'll call the vet and see what they say. He's also teething (losing some teeth) so that may play a factor? He'll eat eggs, apples, mangos, and carrots quite easily so maybe he's a picky eater?
Nov 9, 2005
839 posts
226 upvotes
My older bulldog was like this, one day he just stopped eating. We literally tested every dog food in petsmart /global pet foods etc. At the end we found out he started to detest kibble and loved canned or wet food. Its been five years and he still gets excited about the eukanoba chicken and beef. On the other hand, his sister - also a bulldog - eats literally anything.

Some dogs are just picky, or become picky.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25353 posts
4467 upvotes
Is your dog acting normal otherwise? If so, I wouldn't give it another thought. Your dog just isn't as hungry right now, but provided he's still eating, drinking, playing, etc. than I wouldn't worry about a little bit less food every day.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3405 posts
645 upvotes
Tijuana - if you are feeding your dog carrots be aware that "baby" carrots can well be a choking hazard. Our dog too loved carrots but we chopped them up for him. I have to ask, did your pup get the Collie double coat? There are no words to describe the fur that came off our double-coated, shedding white pup. We just learned to live with it! Part of our couture.