• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2016 11:13 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
2243 posts
449 upvotes
Toronto

Purchase a Mouth Guard

Where can I purchase a mouth guard? I want to protect my teeth from high intensity training and any grinding of my teeth? Would a mouth guard help with that?
14 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26047 posts
11518 upvotes
I think I went to the dentist to get a custom one fit.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3179 posts
522 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Visit your dentist to have one custom made that will fit snugly and stay in place so you don't have to think about it. "One size fits all" mouth guards from Shoppers Drug Mart will be a lot cheaper, but it will be loose and move around.
Agreed. Your dentist will most likely refer you to a specialist who makes custom devices. My husband has one - it is not for sports though. Note that your company medical plan will not likely pay for it (well, there are always exceptions) and it will not be cheap. The lifespan is generally 5 years - he is now on his second one - price rose from $1,000 to $1,200. The ones sold at SDM or "As Seen on TV" will be a lot cheaper but can also cause extreme damage to your teeth.
Member
User avatar
Aug 25, 2007
460 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
My son plays competitive sports his entire life and is playing NCAA D1 hockey south of the border, mouth guards work well for contact sports he never used one for working out but no harm in it I guess. The ones made by a dentist work very well, they take a mold of the teeth and proceed to make a custom guard, the best place if you are worried about cost is to check out a hockey tournament where they sometimes have booths setup and will do them for less that $100.

My son would get them for free from a dentist on the team, they fit really well but after a couple of years just preferred the boil and bite ones off the shelf.

Try a boil and bite for now, then if you get out to a few hockey tournaments you should be able to pick up a custom very inexpensively. The ones that are formed by the dentists or dental assistants at their office or tournament do fit much better and almost suction to the teeth themselves when worn, but kids for some reason like to chew on them between plays lmao. For price hockey (and sometimes Lacrosse) tournaments are the best place to get one custom made.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1017 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Blanche123 wrote: price rose from $1,000 to $1,200.
Holy cow. The one my dentist made for me cost no more than $200.
Sounds like there's a lot of variations. One poster said $100, you say $200, another says over a $1000. My dentist (night grinder here) quoted me a price of $300 and change.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
12750 posts
2050 upvotes
City of Vancouver
sportchek
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3179 posts
522 upvotes
NG wrote:
Kiraly wrote:
Blanche123 wrote: price rose from $1,000 to $1,200.
Holy cow. The one my dentist made for me cost no more than $200.
Sounds like there's a lot of variations. One poster said $100, you say $200, another says over a $1000. My dentist (night grinder here) quoted me a price of $300 and change.
My husband's was to slightly open his airway - he did not need a sleep apnea machine. It did the trick. However, the specialist had to measure his mouth to determine if he would be a candidate for the appliance - he was - and fortunately he actually used it. He is a major snorer - just like the rest of his family.

His office plan would only cover 50% of the device for children. OHIP will only cover a portion of the cost if a physician has deemed that a patient cannot use a sleep apnea machine. He has been for a sleep test due to glaucoma in one eye but fortunately he was clear. They were surprised at the clinic when they took his medical history that he did not have diabetes or is not overweight (he is one of "those" who can eat anything and everything and not gain an ounce).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26047 posts
11518 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote:
NG wrote:
Kiraly wrote:

Holy cow. The one my dentist made for me cost no more than $200.
Sounds like there's a lot of variations. One poster said $100, you say $200, another says over a $1000. My dentist (night grinder here) quoted me a price of $300 and change.
My husband's was to slightly open his airway
I wonder if this was the reason for the giant discrepancy.
I think most mouth guards are meant for tooth protection rather than airway opening.
Temp. Banned
User avatar
Feb 28, 2005
3169 posts
1184 upvotes
Montreal
my dentist quoted ~800 but then accepted ~600
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3179 posts
522 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Blanche123 wrote:
NG wrote:

Sounds like there's a lot of variations. One poster said $100, you say $200, another says over a $1000. My dentist (night grinder here) quoted me a price of $300 and change.
My husband's was to slightly open his airway
I wonder if this was the reason for the giant discrepancy.
I think most mouth guards are meant for tooth protection rather than airway opening.
Could be. But I am just happy that he uses it - there was major doubt on my part that he would, based on history.
Member
Jul 28, 2005
277 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto
The discrepancy in pricing is due to the fact that the custom mouthguards serve different purposes.

The ones you find at sportchek or shoppers are boil and bite ones used only for contact sports.

Custom ones at the dentist can range in pricing. A contact sports mouthguard will usually cost around $50 at a dental office. A nightguard (for people to wear in their sleep due to grinding at night) will cost around $300.

Top