Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1326 posts
723 upvotes
ottawa

Purchase Used or New

Hey RFD we're moving into a new place this year and were offered to buy some items from the sellers. Notably, the TV and speakers. There's a Bose Lifesystem 535 Series III system with the swivel cube speakers ($350) or a Sharp LC-70UD1U for $850. I was thinking to pass on both those items - figured if we needed to get a 70 inch TV to replace the current one there were some good HiSense options at Costco for 4k TVs for $800 ish on sale, and for the Bose system I already have a receiver and a nice subwoofer, but the Acoustimass speakers are pretty slim and sleek looking, I wasn't sure if there were any affordable options for just the 5 speakers?

Thank you!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3843 posts
1048 upvotes
The Bose Lifestyle system comes with its own receiver... and you can only use the receiver it comes with due to proprietary connectors. That was a trap my dad fell for years ago, bought the Lifestyle speakers and woofer without the receiver, still sitting in the basement unused to this day.

The Accoustimass series is different though, since it does not come with receiver, so you can use it with the receiver of your choice. Those sets can be had for cheap used on kijiji /fb marketplace sometimes. Just got to look out for them.

As for the Sharp TV.... it might be OK ? but its a few years old now and probably one of the last real "Sharp" models sold before they pulled out of the NA market. see if you can bargain for more of a discount.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1326 posts
723 upvotes
ottawa
coilz wrote: The Bose Lifestyle system comes with its own receiver... and you can only use the receiver it comes with due to proprietary connectors. That was a trap my dad fell for years ago, bought the Lifestyle speakers and woofer without the receiver, still sitting in the basement unused to this day.

The Accoustimass series is different though, since it does not come with receiver, so you can use it with the receiver of your choice. Those sets can be had for cheap used on kijiji /fb marketplace sometimes. Just got to look out for them.

As for the Sharp TV.... it might be OK ? but its a few years old now and probably one of the last real "Sharp" models sold before they pulled out of the NA market. see if you can bargain for more of a discount.
Thank you for the heads up coilz. For the Lifestyle system it would come with the subwoofer, 2 front speakers, 2 rears, 1 center, the remote, and the receiver. Would that change your mind on the system? Only reason I'm leaning towards them is because they seem to be wireless and now I'm worried there would be no wires at where the speakers are mounted. Are acoustimass wireless as well?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3843 posts
1048 upvotes
I dont believe the Accoustimass series speakers are wireless. I only own a 2.1 and 3.1 set of Accoustimass speakers, so not sure about the rears. I mean price wise the lifestyle system seems ok for $350? ... Bose system always hold their price, people will always pay you a few hundred for the system. Performance-wise, bose is pretty polarizing, some people like the sound, some people hate it. Test it out if you can and see if you like the sound of it. Not sure if the Lifestyle receiver is 4k-capable either, if that's something that's important to you.

As for Wireless rears, it's mostly out of the box surround sound sets that have wireless rears. Alot of the time you still need a power plug to feed it power anyways, so it's never truly wireless. There are wireless adapters, but again.. power? Not sure if you're going to be renovating the new place, but you can always put some wires in the walls. Or if its carpeted, its not that hard to hide the wires between the carpet and baseboards.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8060 posts
2728 upvotes
Maple
I used to own white Bose accoustimas 20 years ago, unless Bose changes their specs, mine were wired to my receiver.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1326 posts
723 upvotes
ottawa
Thank you for the replies!

I think we'll pass on the speakers - the way I have the current setup wired is all inputs to the TV and then fibre optic to the receiver and then out to the speakers. But I know I lose the surround sound capability by doing it that way I just never had rear speakers. The plan moving forward is everything into the receiver and then one cable out to the TV so if this can't handle 4K then I should probably pass!