Personal Finance

Purchasing condo - Avoid those with swimming pools/saunas?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2008 7:38 pm
[OP]
Jul 8, 2005
244 posts

Purchasing condo - Avoid those with swimming pools/saunas?

So I am considering looking at purchasing a condo in the near future, and I have come across several listings with buildings that include a swimming pool and/or a sauna.

Other than the generally higher maintenance fees (swimming pools and saunas are expensive to maintain I assume?), should I also avoid these buildings due to even more serious problems such as mold and structure problems in the near future? Speaking to a real estate agent before quickly, she told me swimming pools and saunas not only increase maintenance fees dramatically, but also will eventually lead to mould and other serious problems that as a tenant in the building you would be repsonsible for.

What are your thoughts? I honestly don't care much for a swimming pool or sauna, as I would HIGHLY unlikely use those features. But if the building I am looking at is priced appropriately, and at a great location, why should I avoid it?
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2001
5089 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
No reason to avoid pools & saunas. There's no real difficulty in making those rooms mold-free, as they've been put in thousands of buildings for decades and not caused inordinate problems.

btw they will not increase maintenance fees "dramatically". The cheapest fees I ever paid were for stratas with pools. The largest portion of local strata budgets is insurance.

If you want to see how fees are broken down, just look at the budget for the stratas you are considering purchasing in.
Dec 5, 2008
94 posts
Just buy somewhere you like. Isn't that what buying is about?

You can look at the break down of how much what costs if you need to compare.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18997 posts
3655 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Pools do cost money to maintain. Of course, if someone likes swimming, that's probably something they would not have a problem in paying. Consider also that if the condo is less than 3 years old, they have not yet found out what is the true cost to maintain the whole place. That only comes with time. You can expect young condos to have quickly jumping maintenance fees.

Modern places have a dry-o-tron machine that cancels out the mould-inducing humidity of the swimming pools.

If you want to avoid high maintenance fees, avoid places with indoor or outdoor waterfalls! Those things cost massive amounts of money to maintain.

Also, please see my post: Condo Buyers Should Consider These Items
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2001
4486 posts
58 upvotes
Calgary
Depends where you are.

In Calgary - I'm in one of the rare few complexes that has an outdoor swimming pool. Its a huge, huge draw for this otherwise desert town. Mold is never a problem here, dryness is a constant problem, lol.

Sure its only really useful two months of the year, but it sure is fun. For you peeps on the coastlines, you can always just head to the beach.
A US nickel is worth more than 5 cents.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3908 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Personally, my wife and I are swimmers so the pool was a huge bonus. We use it at least once a week so I don't mind the extra it may have cost us.
The other thing to keep in mind is that fees are proportional to the size of condo (among other things).

If you won't be using the pool, then yeah, don't go for it.
--
There is no happy ending