Purchasing a Used Car & Haggaling

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2018 3:41 pm
[OP]
Apr 11, 2008
244 posts
2 upvotes

Purchasing a Used Car & Haggaling

Hello, I'm in the market for buying a used vehicle from a dealership (not 3rd party ones).

How much lower, on average from haggaling, do dealerships go from the listed price?

Thank you.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4049 posts
3113 upvotes
GTA
From $0 to your maximum haggling skills. It's like asking people what's their average tire pressure is on Tuesdays.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5837 posts
2385 upvotes
Debtario
That's too broad of a question, too many variables such as the model, season, inventory, demand, mileage, etc. Listed prices will always be inflated so never expect to pay that amount, you have to do your research and know the approximate fair market value of the vehicle you are looking at or else you run a good risk of overpaying. There are plenty of threads here that will help you out, just do your research.

Much of the car buying process is psychological, your greatest weapon is to know what you want to pay and being prepared to walk away, don't let the dealer know you are interested in a particular car.

Watch out for probing questions, when I was buying my (used) camry the sales agent asked what I drive, what else I'm looking at, and magically went from "this is as low as we can go" to another $2K off after I mentioned not having any brand loyalty, really looking at Honda (BS), trying out other cars on the lot and being unimpressed (not BS). It may have helped that it was Friday afternoon, the place was dead, and I was there from about 2PM to closing time, finally ended up negotiating with the owner and we closed the deal at the last minute just to get me out of there LOL
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Nov 6, 2013
638 posts
404 upvotes
So many variables. Average gross in a used car? $2,000 to $4,000.

Has the car been there 90+ Days? It's already been discounted to break-even or perhaps a loss.

Is it a fresh trade in sitting there 10 days? Probably some good money in that car.
Nov 6, 2013
638 posts
404 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: That's too broad of a question, too many variables such as the model, season, inventory, demand, mileage, etc. Listed prices will always be inflated so never expect to pay that amount, you have to do your research and know the approximate fair market value of the vehicle you are looking at or else you run a good risk of overpaying. There are plenty of threads here that will help you out, just do your research.

Much of the car buying process is psychological, your greatest weapon is to know what you want to pay and being prepared to walk away, don't let the dealer know you are interested in a particular car.

Watch out for probing questions, when I was buying my (used) camry the sales agent asked what I drive, what else I'm looking at, and magically went from "this is as low as we can go" to another $2K off after I mentioned not having any brand loyalty, really looking at Honda (BS), trying out other cars on the lot and being unimpressed (not BS). It may have helped that it was Friday afternoon, the place was dead, and I was there from about 2PM to closing time, finally ended up negotiating with the owner and we closed the deal at the last minute just to get me out of there LOL
Completely false.