• Aug 23rd, 2017 8:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1021 posts
135 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario

Pure Vanilla Extract

Costco is now up to $36.99 for a bottle (under 500 mL i believe). Great stuff, but so expensive. Has anyone found a better price for decent quality vanilla extract? Not the imitation stuff btw, and something of decent quality (ie not Great Value).
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2002
6262 posts
354 upvotes
Toronto
Make it yourself sweetheart.
If you are in Toronto you can get about 4 beans for $10 or less at the Big Carrot and use any type of alcohol/spirit like rum or vodka.
You can add 1/2 volume of water to the spirit after a week but let it steep a few days before then split the beans among them.
When the costco price skyrocketed i resumed making my own as i go through quite a bit.
Now i'm good for a year or two and its better than anything you can buy.
Good Luck!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1021 posts
135 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
Great idea, thank you. I have about six beans I bought from Costco about ten months ago. Hopefully they are still good. I don't have any extra rum (we drank it all) but I have two big bottles of vodka that needs to be used up.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2569 posts
508 upvotes
Burlington
We haven't tried with rum, but make our own using vodka. BTW, it's great to make and give away for Christmas.. our family/friends look forward to it. BTW, we let it sit/soak for 2-3 months, and we've never tried to add water
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1839 posts
1180 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Any idea where one can still get reasonable priced vanilla beans? Either online, or In the west
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1021 posts
135 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
I've heard the really cheap beans aren't any good. I can't remember why though. I bought the Kirkland brand at Costco and the price seemed trainable, although I can't remember the price I paid sorry.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2002
6262 posts
354 upvotes
Toronto
I can't say out west but any whole vanilla will work you'll just have to steep it longer.
The price of the costco bottled vanilla is now at $40 and the bottle aslo shrunk.
Thats exactly what everyone got from me last christmas, vanilla or hot sauce.