Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4369 posts
1634 upvotes
GTA
Faked servers
https://web.archive.org/web/20170917071 ... estionable

Shady client software

"The PureVPN client software for Windows and routers is shady as ****. On Windows, the installer unpacks to about 80mb of crap — all to run OpenVPN.

I’d usually say “just use the VPN config files manually instead of their shonky client”, but all things considered, so much smells bad here that I just recommend not using their service at all."
https://medium.com/@infodox/purevpn-a-b ... e832c78a8e
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1662 posts
1388 upvotes
Toronto
you can't use PayPal balance. Must subscribe.
Multi Millionaire in Points
Aug 15, 2018
404 posts
650 upvotes
Vancouver
Very shady. I got it and when I tried to cancel I had no luck. Had to contact customer service to cancel for me and not bill me afterwards. Now he says it's been cancelled but no confirmation email or anything.
Feb 2, 2017
425 posts
492 upvotes
This company is based in Hong Kong and claims no logs. When FBI asked for logs, they produced all the logs to the FBI. This is a GARBAGE VPN company.
Aug 14, 2015
817 posts
530 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
jaydubz wrote: This company is based in Hong Kong and claims no logs. When FBI asked for logs, they produced all the logs to the FBI. This is a GARBAGE VPN company.
I don't really mind if police has a backdoor to catch VPN user's crime.

I guess more of the problem is 'someone' is injecting scripts into your router when installing from the .exe file, which means it'll stay there even if you uninstalled the vpn.

I'm going to assume the firefox add-ons / chrome add-ons won't have the capability to inject anything into the router.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
7649 posts
1714 upvotes
Mont-Royal
jaydubz wrote: This company is based in Hong Kong and claims no logs. When FBI asked for logs, they produced all the logs to the FBI. This is a GARBAGE VPN company.
why vpn keeps logs?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Nov 25, 2010
35 posts
38 upvotes
X24Secret wrote: Ok, can you explain why I shouldn’t sign up with these guys if all I care is removing geoblocking and enabling Netflix US catalogue? Really, do explain.
No need to explain if you don't take the service seriously on a security or ethical perspective. Hope it serves your purposes well
May 25, 2015
201 posts
189 upvotes
London, ON
Steps to cancel subscription from PayPal.
Screen_Shot_2019-12-05_at_11_52_25_PM.png
Nov 25, 2010
35 posts
38 upvotes
myinglin0318 wrote: That's scary shit. Who would you recommend then?
I've gone through the gamut of VPN tiers over the years and came to the conclusion that it's worth to pay more for reputation. It depends on what you're looking to do anonymously and how much you value your private information. There's no shortage of affordable VPNs, but usually there's a catch. Most will usually fall under jurisdictions whereby their government has access to logs (client activity or info) or can have companies install backdoors in secrecy. Go with a VPN that is clear about ownership, has proven in court that their no-logging policy is effective, and has a long history of positive feedback (performance, customer service, etc). I would've recommended PIA as a mainstream service but with their recent buy-out, my opinion does not stand. I suggest reading through restoreprivacy.com for their review format which breaks down everything important when considering a VPN.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
1228 posts
621 upvotes
dgr81 wrote: can you stack multiple years?
No, if you add this and you already have a suscription.. it will give you 2 "lines" of service with their own expiry date.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
2891 posts
2153 upvotes
Kitchener
swar12894 wrote: Steps to cancel subscription from PayPal.
I already looked in there, it’s not there :(
Gaming PC: i9 9900ks, GTX 1070 8gb x2, 32GB RAM
Media PC: i5 9400f, GTX 1060 6gb, 24GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5315 posts
2546 upvotes
Global Village
swar12894 wrote: Steps to cancel subscription from PayPal.

In Windows fron their account page you click top left to Account & Billing and then click on the arrow on the bottom right beside your Payment Method and 1 of the 3 drop down options is Cancel Subscription.
When you click on it though you get no on-screen confirmation it's been done and no confirmation email.
All day I dream about sports
Aug 25, 2018
107 posts
44 upvotes
I used a $5 virtual card i got from receipt hog. It worked fine. The VPN did work for me to get around geoblock.
Aug 31, 2014
521 posts
874 upvotes
Toronto, ON
spiritsBB wrote: I don't really mind if police has a backdoor to catch VPN user's crime.
So why even use a VPN? Just allow the government a backdoor into anything and everything, why not. Your FBI guy is giving you a thumbs up.
Oct 16, 2013
99 posts
20 upvotes
FREDERICTON
First time use Honey .... the price went down to $2 but when the Paypal page opened it's gone back to $12. If I used a credit card it'd charge $12 too - I used a prepaid card with only $10 so it was declined. What's wrong?