Expired Hot Deals

PureVPN for $2USD/year

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2019 11:15 am
Tags:
Oct 1, 2007
8 posts
2 upvotes
Be aware, I have subscribed yesterday and even if the total shown was 2.02$, they charged me 11.88$ on my credit card...
Aug 1, 2010
116 posts
15 upvotes
Woodbridge
yes that is correct even tho it shows $2.02 when trying to pay with paypal total shows $11.88
Nov 22, 2014
417 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
Just checked credit card, I was charged 16.08CAD.

Do I call credit card company now for bait and switch?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3522 posts
4515 upvotes
Montreal
redflagkiller wrote: Just checked credit card, I was charged 16.08CAD. Do I call credit card company now for bait and switch?

Contact Customer Service @ PureVPN first.
Nov 22, 2014
417 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
FYI, I was charged $16.08 CAD and contacted purevpn livechat. I was initially offered an extra 3 months 'for free' and then 1 year for 'free' after some persistence.

In the end, I still requested a full refund as they weren't willing to give me 4-6 years of service for $2.02USD as agreed upon price. I will not be giving my money to this business whether it was just a 'glitch' or a bait and switch tactic even if it's only $2.7 CAD. It's a matter of principle !

See transcript:

Hello. Please direct me to the billing department. I purchased the annual subscription purevpn on Thursday Dec 4 with a coupon code 'FPDRFLAT2911' stating $2.02 USD price for the whole year.

Today, I checked my credit card statement and was charged $16.08 CAD. Please refund me my money or I will go to my credit card company complaining about unethical bait and switch tactics

Riley 07:31:12 pm

Allow me to check please.
May I have your name please?
So I can address you properly?

Visitor 07:32:17 pm

My name is ***The email associated with the purevpn account is ******

Riley 07:33:01 pm

Thankyou ***, I apologize to you for this
That price was a glitch in our system the 1 year plan us 11.88 USD after the discount, which translates to 15-16 CAD.
we apologize to you for this and just for you we will extend the account for 4 months more for this glitch
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter

Visitor 07:37:54 pm

I was not aware of the glitch and I purchased the said product, annual subscription for 2.02USD via credit credit card. I am not happy with this offer by you guys and it is a terrible bait and switch tactic. Please assist me, if we cannot resolve this then I have no choice but to contact my credit card company

Riley 07:38:37 pm

Rest assured this is not a bait and switch tactic, it was a glitch which affected only a handful of our users, and just for you we can extend it for 6 months more in total for 1.5 years in total, I sincerely apologize to you for this
I can totally understand you must be frustrated and If I was in your place I may have felt the same
but please accept our heartfelt apology for this .

Visitor 07:40:36 pm

Okay I understand now that is is a glitch. However, please imagine yourself in my shoes when I saw a great deal at $2.02USD for the entire year and now I am being charged $16.08 for 1.5 year. There's a big difference

Riley 07:41:33 pm

I totally get this ***, but if you compare with our monthly price it is very cheap
the monthly plan is 10.95$

Visitor 07:43:19 pm

I would like a refund of the extra charge vs the stated upon $2.02USD. Please assist me or I will be contacting my CC company right now. The agreed upon price whether or not it was a glitch...I was unknown to it

Riley 07:44:22 pm

Well ***, we can refund you the whole amount or offer you the 1.5 year account for that price, and I can understand that and just for you only on special basis we will extend the account for 1 more year for a total of 2 years?

Visitor 07:46:01 pm

2.02USD per year vs I was charged 16.08 so that's about 2.70CAD per year. 16.08/2.70=5.9 years of service. Please refund me my money as this is unacceptable.

Riley 07:46:50 pm

I can understand that but for 11.88$ USD we can give you 2 years in total or refund the whole amount.
I am sorry for this again

Visitor 07:49:00 pm

I understand Riley, but I had an agreed upon price at checkout for $2.02USD per year. That is worth almost 6 years of service per what I am charged now. Either a) I get a refund of the extra charge or b) I get at least 5 years of service. Please resolve this issue

Riley 07:49:38 pm

I can totally understand that and due to that issue we are giving you an account for 2 years, and that deal is only valid for 1 year and the 2nd year would be charged at the regular price of 69.95$ even if it was for 2.02$ the first year the 2nd year would not be the same price.
the 2nd year we are giving for free just for this glitch.

Visitor 07:51:16 pm

If that is your company's best offer for this diaster then I will avoid once and for all. Now, please refund me my money along with an email confirmation. Thank you

Riley 07:52:10 pm

That is no issue for us ***, but we are sad to see you leave, Allow me a moment to check the account details
I am processing the account for refund now, may I know do you still want that ? It saddens us to see you leave like this :(

Visitor 07:56:35 pm

I am willing to meet in the middle if I get at least 4 years per my quoted price at checkout given this diaster. Otherise, please proceed with refund as this has been an alarming experience. Thank you

Riley 07:56:49 pm

***, that plan was for only 1 year deal, that price would not be implemented on the any other plan even if it was not a glitch
and I can get that that is why we are offering the 1 year extra for free
you could only add the plan once on a account

Visitor 07:58:20 pm

At the time of checkout, the agreed upon price is the price I'm willing to pay only. I do not care or know that it was a glitch. It is not my fault when your company should implement a better system.
Please refund my money. THank you

Riley 08:00:10 pm

That is correct and I totally understand this and sorry again for this. I hoped we could come to a agreement.
Thanks for your patience. Your refund request has been initiated, you will receive your refund within next 5 to 7 working days depending on the payment method you have used at the time of payment.
Is there anything else I can help you with?

Visitor 08:00:37 pm

IS there an email confirmation? Thanks Riley

Riley 08:00:51 pm

Yes you will get it in 5-15 minutes.
May I know would you be willing to consider that offer one last time ?

Visitor 08:02:13 pm

AGain, please refund my money or I am only willing to meet in the middle with 4 years of service. Thank you for your help Riley

Riley 08:02:17 pm

No issues again I apologize, It has been a pleasure to talk to you.

Visitor 08:02:45 pm

So far i only got the 'stop auto recurring' email

Riley 08:03:02 pm

Please check the spam folder as well
we have sent you the email

Visitor 08:03:15 pm

Never mind. I have received the refund email just now. Thanks

Riley 08:03:17 pm

Thank you for contacting PureVPN support. Have a great day ahead. Goodbye.

You archived the chat
Aug 14, 2015
298 posts
198 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Calling it a glitch is too easy on themselves. Made it sound like it's some programming bug. Nothing glitched. The program did exactly what it's supposed to do. It's an overlooked mistake.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3522 posts
4515 upvotes
Montreal
That Customer Representative from PureVPN seemed like a rug merchant in a souk.
(Apologies to rug merchants in souks because they aren't that bad.)
That gives a very shady feel to that company.
Did you guys check you Credit Cards?
Anyone got charged the correct amount of $2 USD?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
4442 posts
1762 upvotes
Global Village
I guess it pays not to use paypal. I used my Stack MC and was charged $2.67 CAD.
All day I dream about sports
Nov 24, 2017
27 posts
15 upvotes
I used Paypal and only see the $2.02 USD charged to my Paypal balance. Very shady tactics indeed.
Sep 13, 2019
89 posts
86 upvotes
If it is only $2 for a whole year. I heard that PureVPN was not that good. But at this price, I can try it and test it by myself.
Nov 24, 2019
23 posts
4 upvotes
sebcar wrote: Be aware, I have subscribed yesterday and even if the total shown was 2.02$, they charged me 11.88$ on my credit card...
I got charged 11.88 USD. But isnt that 11.88 for the whole year putting it 1$ a month as per the website?
Edit: I didnt put the honey code. Oh well.. take that 13$ more then.
Jan 4, 2010
33 posts
22 upvotes
Edmonton
LOL it's not a 'shady' bait and switch, that price was impossibly low. $100 a year is reasonable. $2 a year is basically free. Companies don't stay in business giving away their services for free.
Honey is a f'ing joke too, if you're using that you're pretty lost.
Use GCR and get 27% cash back of one of the legit offers on their site.
I got 5 years for $300 with port forwarding and a dedicated IP back in October.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3522 posts
4515 upvotes
Montreal
scoper wrote: I guess it pays not to use paypal. I used my Stack MC and was charged $2.67 CAD.

Yeah, but now that they have your CC info, I hope you don't get charged $69 USD in twelve months. Then they'll say "So sorry, it was a glitch." It might be easier to cancel a subscription with PayPal.
Aug 14, 2015
298 posts
198 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Creamy Goodness wrote: LOL it's not a 'shady' bait and switch, that price was impossibly low. $100 a year is reasonable. $2 a year is basically free. Companies don't stay in business giving away their services for free.
Honey is a f'ing joke too, if you're using that you're pretty lost.
Use GCR and get 27% cash back of one of the legit offers on their site.
I got 5 years for $300 with port forwarding and a dedicated IP back in October.
They were exceptionally decent to redflagkiller in the above chat as well.
Temporel wrote: Yeah, but now that they have your CC info, I hope you don't get charged $69 USD in twelve months. Then they'll say "So sorry, it was a glitch." It might be easier to cancel a subscription with PayPal.
Keeping your credit card information is not legal. If they tamper with the structure of the subscription intentionally and charges you a second time prior to the end of the subscription, then this whole ordeal will become a crime - but I think (not certain) that VISA has a mechanism that protects that from happening.
The displayed $2.02, but charging $11 borders on a crime except everyone can tell they were just frantically fixing it as the transaction happened.
Last edited by spiritsBB on Dec 8th, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3522 posts
4515 upvotes
Montreal
spiritsBB wrote: (...) Keeping your credit card information is not legal.

It's going to be hard to enforce because I think they use a VPN. Face With Tears Of Joy