• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2019 1:05 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 26, 2018
26 posts
4 upvotes

Purpose of this?

Hey guys, came across these holes/ducts in a house I was looking at and not sure what they're for, why wouldn't they be covered with a faceplate?
Images
  • DSC_1450.JPG
12 replies
Jul 6, 2010
698 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like a central vacuum inlet.
i am upside down
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6359 posts
2006 upvotes
BC
Central vacuum outlets? Current owners just hang a picture to cover it and the unused 110 outlet.

Because they thought that was a better idea than fitting the proper faceplates? Not what I would do, but people are all different.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2018
26 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it. Looks pretty ugly and if I were to cover them with a picture or whatnot my OCD would kick in so I guess faceplates is the best option.
Jul 6, 2010
698 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
My OCD is already kicking in with that terrible paint job!
i am upside down
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2575 upvotes
umopapisdnwei wrote: My OCD is already kicking in with that terrible paint job!
+1. Anyone who paints around outlet covers instead of removing them couldn’t care less about quality

Also how high are these outlets? If these central vac outlets are high enough to hang pictures over I’d be worried about anything done behind walls. Are these all over the house or just this one room? Could it be conduit for a tv wall mount ?
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16643 posts
6897 upvotes
Then it must be really kicking in while you ponder "why did they remove one outlet cover for painting and not the other?". That's what is getting me.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2018
26 posts
4 upvotes
So agree.
Red_Army wrote:
+1. Anyone who paints around outlet covers instead of removing them couldn’t care less about quality

Also how high are these outlets? If these central vac outlets are high enough to hang pictures over I’d be worried about anything done behind walls. Are these all over the house or just this one room? Could it be conduit for a tv wall mount ?
There is an electric outlet as well as another TV cable outlet next to it, so. I think your assumption is valid.
TrevorK wrote: Then it must be really kicking in while you ponder "why did they remove one outlet cover for painting and not the other?". That's what is getting me.
Yup, looks like it was the owner who did it himself.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16029 posts
4866 upvotes
London
TrevorK wrote: Then it must be really kicking in while you ponder "why did they remove one outlet cover for painting and not the other?". That's what is getting me.

Probably had cables coming out of it already, hence no cover at the time the wall was painted
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1959 posts
223 upvotes
Mississauga
if it is truly a vacuum outlet...there would be a very thin gauge wire...12volts...2 strand wire in there that woudl need to be connected to the vacuum cover
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
1092 posts
816 upvotes
Durham Region
If it’s up higher and covered with a picture then a tv could have been mounted there or some other device (phone or router??) that needed power. The other duct could be just for running cables down to another space (basement?)

Obviously the last person to paint it was a lazy moron
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3491 posts
2161 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: +1. Anyone who paints around outlet covers instead of removing them couldn’t care less about quality

I guess you never seen the people who just paint over the faceplates, gets paint inside the slots of the receptacles.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1615 posts
720 upvotes
Ontario
They probably had a TV over it. Runs the cables down so they are hidden...
·Ï¢årµ§·