Home & Garden

Pushing Window out on Frame - Cost?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2021 12:14 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 2, 2021
11 posts

Pushing Window out on Frame - Cost?

I am getting shutters installed on my windows. There are two windows in my house where, for some reason, the window was not pushed out as much on the frame.

For example, in the picture below there is about 1.5” on clearance on the frame. On all other windows there is more than 2” of clearance.

On this window, the shutter won’t be totally flush with the trim and would need to stick out just a bit.

Question, how big of a task is it do have the window pushed out on the frame? Any idea on approximate cost?
Images
  • Window.jpg
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5743 posts
2531 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Quite a bit. Not so much materials but labour time. Have to take out the mouldings, depending how the window is mounted.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2795 posts
1260 upvotes
Mississauga
Paging @Jerico

You do not need to move the window. You'll need to remove the casing trim and stepped jamb extension and replace both. Under $100 in parts but labour is the killer.

I don't know if it is normal practice to use quarter round along the window jab. One half might by vinyl in your pictures, its a little hard to tell.

Image
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9676 posts
5061 upvotes
Paris
You rang?

The window pictured was replaced as a retrofit, thats why the quarter round. Is this window newer than the others in your house? Or possibly older if they have all been done? You could buy yourself space by removing the quarter round and caulking around the inside. Some retros are installed that way from the get go, but quarter round inside is typically a nicer look install. I assume your shutters would hide where the 1/4 round was though.

A picture of any of the other windows in your house without this issue would help.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3170 posts
2137 upvotes
Toronto
How thick are the shutters that they need 2 inches of depth to be installed flush with the drywall?

As Jerico points out - the quarter round is a tell-tale sign of retro-fit windows (which is too bad - means you're giving up window size and nobody improved whatever insulation is/is not between the old window frame and the building).

The quarter round which appears to be 3/4" x 3/4" in size could be removed and replaced by a different piece of trim or perhaps just a bead of caulking, and that would increase the available depth for the shutter install.

Whoever is installing these shutters should be the ones sorting this out for you. If they can't figure this out, perhaps you're dealing with the wrong shutter company.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9676 posts
5061 upvotes
Paris
torontotim wrote: How thick are the shutters that they need 2 inches of depth to be installed flush with the drywall?
2”
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3170 posts
2137 upvotes
Toronto
That's nutty. Thicker than a 2x4? What kind of shutters are 2 inches thick? Is it that they need depth for some sort of backing frame to hinge off of?

I've never had shutters so have no idea how they mount, but surely the shutters themselves are not thicker than all the doors in my house.
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 2, 2021
11 posts
Thanks all, I’ve attached pictures of the window in question, and another window with more clearance.

I should have clarified. The issue is not with the quarter round. The issue is the louvre will hit the sliding window rail/handle. So changing the quarter round will not alleviate this issue.

The windows were changed by the previous owner. This is the only window that was mounted with this litter clearance.
Images
  • DE1B8F7D-3304-4891-99A8-B04B3A06A011.jpeg
  • C28CBD2D-3FC5-40D6-83E4-C1BCBB76DAF4.jpeg
  • 7E86547F-F523-449B-8C52-6AF1478845ED.jpeg
Sr. Member
Sep 5, 2011
700 posts
942 upvotes
Toronto
It would be far cheaper to have the shutter company put in an window jamb extension than to "move" the window out.

Whoever suggested that you should "move/push" the window out clearly don't know what they are doing or they just want to blame other people for their mistake for not checking the clearance when they did the measurement.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1415 posts
571 upvotes
PCShutters wrote: It would be far cheaper to have the shutter company put in an window jamb extension than to "move" the window out.

Whoever suggested that you should "move/push" the window out clearly don't know what they are doing or they just want to blame other people for their mistake for not checking the clearance when they did the measurement.
Spoken by the ShutterMaster himself!

That sounds like a crazy idea to shift a window in the frame just to have the shutters fit properly. Adjust the size/position of the shutters, sounds like a much cheaper option.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9676 posts
5061 upvotes
Paris
PCShutters wrote: It would be far cheaper to have the shutter company put in an window jamb extension than to "move" the window out.

Whoever suggested that you should "move/push" the window out clearly don't know what they are doing or they just want to blame other people for their mistake for not checking the clearance when they did the measurement.
Extending the jamb and rejigging the trim was my next thought once I realized OP’s situation.
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 2, 2021
11 posts
PCShutters wrote: It would be far cheaper to have the shutter company put in an window jamb extension than to "move" the window out.

Whoever suggested that you should "move/push" the window out clearly don't know what they are doing or they just want to blame other people for their mistake for not checking the clearance when they did the measurement.
Thanks!

I actually think they mentioned this to me when taking measurements, but I was really preoccupied with my crying baby haha. Moving the window was my inexperienced idea, not theirs.

When you say jamb extension (excuse my ignorance) does this simply mean a frame that extends out (top/bottom and sides). I have four other windows on the floor getting shutters (the floor is open and all windows can be seen). Would the jamb extension look "off", especially if the other windows don't need it. Do you have a few example pictures of what this would look like?
Sr. Member
Sep 5, 2011
700 posts
942 upvotes
Toronto
akashpatel wrote: Thanks!

I actually think they mentioned this to me when taking measurements, but I was really preoccupied with my crying baby haha. Moving the window was my inexperienced idea, not theirs.

When you say jamb extension (excuse my ignorance) does this simply mean a frame that extends out (top/bottom and sides). I have four other windows on the floor getting shutters (the floor is open and all windows can be seen). Would the jamb extension look "off", especially if the other windows don't need it. Do you have a few example pictures of what this would look like?

Normally, for your windows, we would use this frame:

Image

This is what it would look like installed on a typical window.

Image

Image

Because you only need to a bit more room to clear the louvres, you can use smaller window jamb extension and it is barely noticeable. Our smallest jamb extension only extend it out by about 3/4". The ones in the pictures above extended by 2"
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12130 posts
7010 upvotes
Markham
Jerico wrote: You rang?

The window pictured was replaced as a retrofit, thats why the quarter round. Is this window newer than the others in your house? Or possibly older if they have all been done? You could buy yourself space by removing the quarter round and caulking around the inside. Some retros are installed that way from the get go, but quarter round inside is typically a nicer look install. I assume your shutters would hide where the 1/4 round was though.

A picture of any of the other windows in your house without this issue would help.
I heard Lurch but I didn't see him.

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!

Top