Computers & Electronics

Putting a 2-prong plug into 3-prong adapter?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2017 2:26 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10551 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver

Putting a 2-prong plug into 3-prong adapter?

My dell charger brick has a 3-hole adapter for the AC power cable, and the plug going into the wall is 3-pronged.

I also have a DJI mavic which has a similar power brick/wall plug, but is only 2.

What would happen if I plugged the DJI mavic's 2-prong adapter into the dell's 3-hole power brick?

I'll be traveling, and this dell laptop charger is my only 3-pronged electronic :(
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7716 posts
3939 upvotes
Alberta
The 3 prong plug is grounded when the 2 prong isn't. You physically can't plug a 2 prong cable into a 3 prong adapter. It's a different pin/plug configuration.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3209 posts
1762 upvotes
Burlington
Some things in life you just aren't meant to do.

Combining pepsi with coke.

Dividing by zero.

Don't be a hero OP. Follow the rules.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3378 posts
809 upvotes
Probably wouldn't hurt it as long as the brick's specification is all the same as in voltage output , power output.. etc etc...
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1344 posts
410 upvotes
Ottawa
Kaitlyn wrote: My dell charger brick has a 3-hole adapter for the AC power cable, and the plug going into the wall is 3-pronged.
In general, the decision to use a 3-prong (grounded) or 2-prong cable depends on whether the designer of the power brick thinks there is a risk of electric shock. There are guidelines that need to be followed if the power brick were to omit the ground. i.e. certain components have to be shielded, and there are certain components have to maintain a minimal distance. If a power brick comes with a grounded cable it usually means it does not meet those requirements.

In short, if you manage to plug an ungrounded cable into the power brick, *you* will be the ground cable when there is a ground fault.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1454 upvotes
Richmond
It's common for the same laptop power adapter to have a 3-prong plug in Canada and a 2-prong plug in the U.S. due to slightly different regulations.

In any case, you can certainly use a 2-prong plug without any great danger to yourself or the adapter, but you'll find that the standard 2-prong cable won't fit the 3-prong hole on the adapter. I've made it work by taking an old 2-prong cable from a broken power adapter and splitting the end slightly in a Y so that the 2 sides can spread slightly further apart to fit the 3-prong hole. I can't advise you to ignore the inevitable warnings of your impending ghastly death if you try this, so use your own judgement. :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7716 posts
3939 upvotes
Alberta
Without modification to the plug end you simply can't just plug a 2 prong into a 3. OP, it tells you something doesn't it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10551 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver
Okay thanks guys, guess I wont even bother trying to make it work. I just hate all these non-generic chargers which means I have to bring all these extras!
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11728 posts
2273 upvotes
Whenever I try to insert things in where they don't belong, it typically gets me in trouble.