None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1184 posts
47 upvotes
Vancouver

Putting a phone number "on ice"

Let's say I'm leaving the country for a while, perhaps 2 years. During this time I want to preserve my number indefintiely in case I would like to use it on my return. Is there a cheap way to do this? E.g., porting my number to a very long expiry pre-paid plan? If it worked out to say $10 a that would be too much, but something like $1 might work.
8 replies
Aug 21, 2005
243 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
Port (transfer) it to a VoIP provider, $10/year. I have all my numbers with VoIP (3 in Canada, 2 in USA, 1 TF, 1 in a European country where I travel often) and I use them constantly. I don't use cell phone providers for voice or text, only for Data (mobile Internet). Here in Canada I pay $100/20GB/yr.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16551 posts
5027 upvotes
Markham
You can also port to Fongo

https://www.fongo.com/how-it-works/

"Keep your number

No need to update your contact information with friends and family

For a $25 one-time fee, you can transfer your existing home or mobile phone number to Fongo. Purchase phone number porting by logging in to your Fongo account at www.fongo.com/login and selecting Online Store."

So where ever you are going, if you got a smart phone and wifi or data you can use Fongo App. People still can call you on your old #
and you can use to call people in Canada
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20522 posts
9988 upvotes
Oakville
This is why the forums need better search functionality. This has come up several times in the last couple weeks.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25248 posts
6944 upvotes
where I belong
wearysky wrote: This is why the forums need better search functionality. This has come up several times in the last couple weeks.
^ this

forgot the title, but I remembered Fongo mentioned 10+ times...
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Platinum/Biz Plat 100K || Aeroplan Reserve 150K
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1285 posts
628 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Port to voip.ms, then forward that number to voicemail. As soon as you get voicemail, you get email notification (I am talking about less than 3 seconds) with vocod message, exact time, and caller ID. You can even forward that Canadian number to your foreign numbe and be always on the reach and pay pennies for the actual usage of all you want is to keep the number, it will be just $0.99/month.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1184 posts
47 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks all. Fongo worked great for me.