Travel

Putting phone and seasonal hold on koodo while on vacation, lost of old plan and must upgrade to a more expensive plan

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2018 5:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1711 posts
143 upvotes

Putting phone and seasonal hold on koodo while on vacation, lost of old plan and must upgrade to a more expensive plan

I'm flying out tomorrow night and today tried to call koodo to put my phone on seasonal hold, I wasn't able to reach anyone at koodo despite waiting over 30 minutes on the line, however while browsing on their website, I noticed that their employees said that when you are put on a seasonal hold, your forced to upgrade to a newer plan when you come off of seaosonal hold, basically meaning your forced to upgrade to a new more expensive plan. I don't see why they can't allow you to keep your old plan while your away on vacation. This is obviously a blatant attempt and ripping the customer off. When I get back from my vacation, I'm cancelling my account with them and looking for a new provider. So basically I am forced to pay for cellphone service that I can't even use or switching to a more expensive plan with less features when I return back from vacation.

Just be warned if you ever need to be put on a seasonal hold on koodo, your going lose your old plan.
5 replies
Jan 8, 2009
739 posts
387 upvotes
GTA
Actually, it only says your current plan MAY no longer be available and that you'll have to enroll in one of their available plans - it's your choice whether to enrol for a cheaper or more expensive plan:

After you switch over to the Seasonal Hold Plan, your previous monthly plan may no longer be available. But you will be able to choose from any of our latest monthly plans.

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/keepin ... travelling
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1743 posts
1270 upvotes
You can't blame Kodoo for making $$ when you are not using your mobile.

How long is your vacation?
A year, understandable to cancel.
For a mth or two, not really.
I think if one can go on vacation, one can afford
unless really tight on $$.

Another things, quite hassle.. no 'old' phone number, contact all friends/associates etc when you get a new number.
In a long run, better pay for old granfathered plan than new plan that are not competitive and costly.

I paid mine when I was overseas for almost 2 mths.
Took my mobile along as some my cdn contacts want to reach me. No roaming fees as I used a local (non-cdn) number to call back.
A QUIET MAN IS A THINKING MAN.
A QUIET WOMAN IS A DANGEROUS WOMAN

My Missus said " I don't tell you how to spend your $$, Don't tell me how to spend your $$."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1711 posts
143 upvotes
jrbb0309 wrote: Actually, it only says your current plan MAY no longer be available and that you'll have to enroll in one of their available plans - it's your choice whether to enrol for a cheaper or more expensive plan:

After you switch over to the Seasonal Hold Plan, your previous monthly plan may no longer be available. But you will be able to choose from any of our latest monthly plans.

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/keepin ... travelling
All of there plans cost more then my current and your also getting way less for more money on the newer plans.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1711 posts
143 upvotes
imoo2u wrote: You can't blame Kodoo for making $$ when you are not using your mobile.

How long is your vacation?
A year, understandable to cancel.
For a mth or two, not really.
I think if one can go on vacation, one can afford
unless really tight on $$.

Another things, quite hassle.. no 'old' phone number, contact all friends/associates etc when you get a new number.
In a long run, better pay for old granfathered plan than new plan that are not competitive and costly.

I paid mine when I was overseas for almost 2 mths.
Took my mobile along as some my cdn contacts want to reach me. No roaming fees as I used a local (non-cdn) number to call back.
That's why your paying them $15 a month to keep it on seasonal hold. They are still making money but I guess it's never enough with these phone companies. I'm gonna be out of canada for 5 and a half months. I don't want to be paying full price for something I ain't even going to get to use. It's not really about the money, it's the principle. These damn phone companies are always looking for ways to nickle and dime you at every opportunity. If the government allowed real competition, we wouldn't be paying these exorbitant fees for phone plans. Anyways I think after I come back I'm jumping ship to freedom or one of those prepaid phones like petro pcs or something just to stick it to them.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3687 posts
205 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't mean to defend the telco, but in this case, they are not ripping you off.

Seasonal hold is a monthly plan just like any other normal monthly plan. So going on seasonal hold is effective switching to a new plan.
Once you return to Canada, you can only switch back to a plan that currently exists . That's why you cannot go back to any grandfathered or limited time promotional plans, if it's not actually possible to access it in their system.