Expired Hot Deals

[Lowe's] Q Solutions Acacia Straight Cut Solid Surface Kitchen Countertop - 74" x 40" x 1"

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2020 3:53 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2003
3209 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
Dealchaser007 wrote: Here you go
Looks pretty nice, what legs did you use for it? And did you treat the wood at all since its apparently soft?
Telus: $45 25GB plan
Public Mobile: $23 1GB plan
Jr. Member
Jan 9, 2013
131 posts
25 upvotes
Thornhill
oshier wrote:
What did you do with the seam? Wood filler, silicone, glue, or nothing? I have a similar joint in my kitchen and was curious?
Sr. Member
Jul 25, 2017
587 posts
174 upvotes
Anyone know if this can be used for as a Dinner table?
Member
Apr 21, 2012
298 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Picked up one @ South Etobicoke, once they figured out they were not actually on the shop floor...its pretty big, but I got it into a VW Golf, scanned @ 82$, as per the website.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8700 posts
5073 upvotes
ON
leg3nd wrote: Anyone know if this can be used for as a Dinner table?
Depends on your requirements for a dinner table.
I've used cardboard boxes to have dinner on at times.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8700 posts
5073 upvotes
ON
A lot of people complain about them splitting after a while. Anyone experienced any of this with their top yet ?
Sr. Member
Jan 19, 2017
652 posts
654 upvotes
Kitchener
robbiemurray wrote: Any reason i couldn’t/wouldn’t cut these and make shelves off these?
Depends on what you want it to look like. If I was doing a storage shelf, a piece of 1" (net 3/4") x 16" x 8ft shelf lumber is only around $13, don't need to rip it down. This is 'laminate top', I don't know what the core material is.

For more decorative shelving, I go to Home Hardware, or any lumber yard that doesnt store wood inside, buy 2x8 knotty pine, that has some good character, beat it up to antique/distress it, and used these https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B086DP ... UTF8&psc=1 for brackets. I think they look great, and about $25-$30 a shelf once done.

Result: https://photos.app.goo.gl/158F7DWeHJN1NZD97
Sr. Member
Jan 19, 2017
652 posts
654 upvotes
Kitchener
dilligafeh wrote: A lot of people complain about them splitting after a while. Anyone experienced any of this with their top yet ?
Wood will dry over time, ESPECIALLY when it came from an indoor warehouse. Can oil it to help it from drying out.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21736 posts
2547 upvotes
rtookey wrote: Depends on what you want it to look like. If I was doing a storage shelf, a piece of 1" (net 3/4") x 16" x 8ft shelf lumber is only around $13, don't need to rip it down. This is 'laminate top', I don't know what the core material is.

For more decorative shelving, I go to Home Hardware, or any lumber yard that doesnt store wood inside, buy 2x8 knotty pine, that has some good character, beat it up to antique/distress it, and used these https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B086DP ... UTF8&psc=1 for brackets. I think they look great, and about $25-$30 a shelf once done.

Result: https://photos.app.goo.gl/158F7DWeHJN1NZD97
It's supposed to be solid core according to the reviews. I'll rip mine down to 34" and take a look. Hopefully the edge can be rounded over for a desktop as well.
Sr. Member
Jan 19, 2017
652 posts
654 upvotes
Kitchener
Kasakato wrote: It's supposed to be solid core according to the reviews. I'll rip mine down to 34" and take a look. Hopefully the edge can be rounded over for a desktop as well.
Yeah, 'solid core' is a pretty broadly used term. Worst case, may have to apply iron on edge tape.
Member
User avatar
Feb 21, 2008
284 posts
81 upvotes
Does anyone know a place downtown Toronto or by the Lowe's South Etobicoke, where I can get this thing cut down?

Also, it says "Laminate" top in on the site description... Does that mean you can't sand and stain it?

I am going to make a desktop and monitor riser out of it. The legs will come from PrimeCables and the monitor riser will probably have IKEA Capita legs (I am sick of working on my Kitchen Dining Table).
Last edited by Eniac360 on Nov 3rd, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2443 posts
1153 upvotes
Mississauga
Eniac360 wrote: Does anyone one a place downtown Toronto or by the Lowe's South Etobicoke, where I can get this thing cut down?

I am going to make a desktop and monitor riser out of it. The legs will come from PrimeCables and the monitor riser will probably have IKEA Capita legs (I am sick of working on my Kitchen Dining Table).
I know HD and Lowes does cuts for $1, first cut is usually free. I don't see why they won't cut this. You might need to speak with someone at their lumber dep but they usually have a big industrial saw at the back that can do vertical cuts
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21736 posts
2547 upvotes
vinnie1990 wrote: I know HD and Lowes does cuts for $1, first cut is usually free. I don't see why they won't cut this. You might need to speak with someone at their lumber dep but they usually have a big industrial saw at the back that can do vertical cuts
Whenever I've asked they won't cut finished product like this. Only 2x, ply and rough material.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2443 posts
1153 upvotes
Mississauga
Kasakato wrote: Whenever I've asked they won't cut finished product like this. Only 2x, ply and rough material.
odd, maybe I got some jr/new folks. I never had an issue. I had them cut a finish piece, they just marked that if they do, the cuts might not be the cleanest and returns aren't possible.
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Member
Jun 1, 2017
392 posts
253 upvotes
Mississauga
Damn. Maple had 17 of these this morning, now all gone.
Member
Feb 16, 2018
255 posts
109 upvotes
Can this be made into a kitchen dining table or is it too small? Anyone's feedback?
Sr. Member
Aug 16, 2007
812 posts
66 upvotes
Richmond Hill
projectman44 wrote: Damn. Maple had 17 of these this morning, now all gone.
i ordered last night around 8pm for iSPU and they had the same amount and cancelled my order.

Top