Expired Hot Deals

Lowe's

Q Solutions Acacia Straight Cut Solid Surface Kitchen Countertop - 74" x 40" x 1"

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2021 1:43 am
Apr 25, 2010
48 posts
40 upvotes
Markham
@Kasakato Thanks for the detail, have something similar planned for a coffee table and it's nice to see what's possible.
Jan 9, 2013
131 posts
25 upvotes
Thornhill
oshier wrote: Seams were pretty small, so just used clear epoxy injected with a syringe to prevent crumbs and other crap from falling in.
Good idea, will give that a shot, thank you!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8544 posts
1343 upvotes
IMG-20201115-WA0001.jpg
I thought I needed 3 tops to cover my window area but managed to do it in 2. "Legs" are Ikea Alex units. Had to template and measure 10 times but it worked out. The Acacia wood was really hard and even with a new finishing blade, my worm drive circular saw had quite the time cutting through it. Currently layering on some Tung oil to hopefully give it some protection from the kids.
Dec 6, 2006
97 posts
2 upvotes
rtookey wrote: This is 'laminate top', I don't know what the core material is.
The description repeatedly says "Solid Wood" and "Solid wood Acacia". This tells me that there is no inner layer. the table top is all solid Acacia wood.

"Laminate" means to join multiple objects together, it doesn't doesn't mean to create layers or to cover a core with another object. In this case the "laminate" that they are referencing are all of the solid pieces of Acacia wood strips that are glued (or more accurately, laminated) together to create a wider piece of wood, resulting in this table top.
Mar 23, 2017
345 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote: Had some time to start re-finishing this. Also decided to turn this into an extra large desk at 74x32. The cut off 74x7 3/4 will be used as a privacy panel to cover wires. The desktop will be half floating, secured into a 2x4 bracket and the other side supported by some shelves.

Fresh panel was fully of dings, especially along the edge. Not really a concern since it will be routed and sanded.

new.jpg

Cut with a 36 tooth 5 3/8 blade with no chipout, used a Kreg Rip Cut to measure out the 7 3/4 cut.

rip.jpg

It is finger jointed along the edge, and they are visible once sanded

finger.jpg

Sanded using a random orbital at 120 then 220 to finish. The stain is pretty easy to take off. Beware some parts are hard and others are very soft, keep it moving to avoid swirl marks in the soft wood. Spend a long time with the 220 to achieve a nice finish.

sand.jpg

Added a chamfer on the top edge and a 3/8 roundover on the bottom. Unconventional but it hid the edge issues and I like the look.

round chamfer.jpg

Finished initially with Arm R Seal Satin, however it dries exactly as it looks. I did not like the few light panels among the dark ones, so decided a stain was necessary.

seal.jpg

Sanded out the Arm R Seal and applied one layer of Minwax Provincial 211. The colour is a little red-yellow warmer than the grey-brown it came with. Lights are two very bright, 6500K bulbs so it will appear cooler than interior lights.

stain.jpg

All that's left is a few coats of Arm R Seal and installation.
Great work! I turned mine into two tops (28x46) and am putting one on a sit/stand riser. Mine are kind of like yours but it was my first time using a router so I had some mishaps.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9168 posts
2799 upvotes
London
I'm late to this thread, but I picked up several of these in the summer for $99 on sale, and used them in my kitchen. I joined two together to make a table, glued up with biscuits&glue.
I used Stockaryd from Ikea to seal them, mostly because that's what I had lying around. ;-)
It's a shame Lowes is getting rid of these, they are pretty nice, but they seem to come in and out of stock at random, because I swear I've seen these come and go for years.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22042 posts
2885 upvotes
Finished desk was mounted onto 2x 2x4 supports screwed into the 2x4s using 3" wood screws. Other side is supported by 2x Ikea Ravavor shelves with adjustable legs replacing the standard wheels. One shelf (far side) holds my desktop and laptop, which all connect to the 48 OLED thats wall mounted.
2020-11-21 23.22.25.jpg
Deal Addict
May 8, 2008
1380 posts
365 upvotes
Ontario
the herringbone 72 * 25 inches countertop is on clearance for $50 now (was $200) .... be warned that reviews say it may split !!!
Mar 1, 2014
803 posts
863 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: Finished desk was mounted onto 2x 2x4 supports screwed into the 2x4s using 3" wood screws. Other side is supported by 2x Ikea Ravavor shelves with adjustable legs replacing the standard wheels. One shelf (far side) holds my desktop and laptop, which all connect to the 48 OLED thats wall mounted.

2020-11-21 23.22.25.jpg
Nice work.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8727 posts
5117 upvotes
ON
Giaks wrote: The description repeatedly says "Solid Wood" and "Solid wood Acacia". This tells me that there is no inner layer. the table top is all solid Acacia wood.

"Laminate" means to join multiple objects together, it doesn't doesn't mean to create layers or to cover a core with another object. In this case the "laminate" that they are referencing are all of the solid pieces of Acacia wood strips that are glued (or more accurately, laminated) together to create a wider piece of wood, resulting in this table top.
Now lets wait for the resident Google woodwork expert to show up and debate this...lol.
Mar 23, 2017
345 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto
I turned my table in two table tops, one on the primecables sit/stand riser and the other just IKEA legs (for now). I did an epoxy resin finish which I think should make it very durable.
Images
  • 20201124_201300.jpg
Apr 21, 2012
322 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
finally used this wood, I made a desk from it, just added hairpin legs from Amazon:
IMG_6374 (1).jpeg

There was still enough for a shelf as well.