[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3352 posts
4499 upvotes
Edmonton

Q7 Lease Returns... Bad Idea or Doable?

Hey all,

My spouse and I have been discussing and are thinking we want to get a trailer this year. Something 3000-4000 lbs dry most likely. We'd likely prefer to stay pretty far below the tow rating. Won't consider a pickup truck as we need an SUV and garage is smaller.

We had been looking at the Pilot and Ascent for good value as a family vehicle. However they both top out at 5000lbs. The Q7 weighs 5000 lbs, about 800lbs more than a Pilot and has a tow rating of 7700lbs, plus despite being long it isn't super wide and would probably be easier than other options that can tow a lot to park. This makes it highly interesting to my spouse who generally doesn't care about luxury car features much. Though I also know rear cargo room is a bit limited comparably.

Here are a few I am considering looking at. What do you think of these? Are we looking at money pits most likely? Note that these are being sold by a Honda dealership so I doubt I can get extended warranty.

https://www.wheatonhonda.com/vehicles/2 ... class=used

38 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28798 posts
9283 upvotes
You can get extended warranty on anything but it'll be some 3rd party extended warranty that is typically not worth it. If you buy at an Audi stealer you will get the ability to have a CPO one with warranty but note in all cases you should be getting an independent inspection on a used vehicle, regardless of who you are purchasing from. You should have this inspection done by a mechanic/shop that is familiar with that vehicle make or model and will know "what to look for" in terms of common problem areas and things to watch for on Q7s.

It's sort of odd for a Honda dealer to have not one or two but three nearly-the-same Q7s in inventory. But who knows maybe they are good sellers for them, so they pick them up in auctions regularly. I'm pretty sure a Honda dealer won't really be all that equipped to service these vehicles (apart from general things like oil changes, etc.) as the diagnostics for VAG vehicles (and pretty much every make these days) are quite specific and require the correct equipment and experience. So it's not like they are banking on making money back in service visits. Weird I guess but whatever, you'll have to check them out yourself and if you are gonna buy one be sure to have the 3rd party inspection done.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3352 posts
4499 upvotes
Edmonton
ES_Revenge wrote: You can get extended warranty on anything but it'll be some 3rd party extended warranty that is typically not worth it. If you buy at an Audi stealer you will get the ability to have a CPO one with warranty but note in all cases you should be getting an independent inspection on a used vehicle, regardless of who you are purchasing from. You should have this inspection done by a mechanic/shop that is familiar with that vehicle make or model and will know "what to look for" in terms of common problem areas and things to watch for on Q7s.

It's sort of odd for a Honda dealer to have not one or two but three nearly-the-same Q7s in inventory. But who knows maybe they are good sellers for them, so they pick them up in auctions regularly. I'm pretty sure a Honda dealer won't really be all that equipped to service these vehicles (apart from general things like oil changes, etc.) as the diagnostics for VAG vehicles (and pretty much every make these days) are quite specific and require the correct equipment and experience. So it's not like they are banking on making money back in service visits. Weird I guess but whatever, you'll have to check them out yourself and if you are gonna buy one be sure to have the 3rd party inspection done.
Thanks, all good advice. I can probably find out the full story on these and see where they came from (TBH I haven't confirmed they are all lease returns yet) and what kind of discount I could get on them from on Monday. This is the same dealership I bought my Clarity from and it's through my relative the sales manager whom I've helped with real estate in the past. That being said with a used car, even with it being a family transaction I would get my mechanic who I've trusted for years and who designs the curriculum for new mechanics in AB to do a full third party inspection.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1368 upvotes
German vehicles are very finicky and not known for reliability/long life. How many 2014 and older Q7 do you see on the roads, in comparison to 2014 and older Pilots? Maintenance on German cars are also expensive, because they're German. For ex., an oil change on a Honda will cost you $70+tax; it's about $200 (?) for an Audi. I'm still not clear why.

If you're looking to own the SUV for long time (i.e. +5 years), stick with Japanese. If you're looking for short-term, go with German vehicles.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Nov 6, 2014
753 posts
1151 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Have you considered a Jeep Grand Cherokee? I believe they can tow 7200lbs+. Might be more economical. Just a thought.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3352 posts
4499 upvotes
Edmonton
fordmaple wrote: Have you considered a Jeep Grand Cherokee? I believe they can tow 7200lbs+. Might be more economical. Just a thought.
Yes, thank you. Because it has poor crash ratings etc I ruled it out.
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: German vehicles are very finicky and not known for reliability/long life. How many 2014 and older Q7 do you see on the roads, in comparison to 2014 and older Pilots? Maintenance on German cars are also expensive, because they're German. For ex., an oil change on a Honda will cost you $70+tax; it's about $200 (?) for an Audi. I'm still not clear why.

If you're looking to own the SUV for long time (i.e. +5 years), stick with Japanese. If you're looking for short-term, go with German vehicles.
Indeed this would be my traditional position as somebody who owns only Japanese cars at the moment. However the towing has caused us to reconsider.

Also, since I do all maintenance with my mechanic mentioned in an earlier post, I wonder if the oil change would still be just as much or whether it is partially dealership markup. I suppose I should ask him. I certainly know parts will be very pricey.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1286 posts
1544 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: German vehicles are very finicky and not known for reliability/long life. How many 2014 and older Q7 do you see on the roads, in comparison to 2014 and older Pilots? Maintenance on German cars are also expensive, because they're German. For ex., an oil change on a Honda will cost you $70+tax; it's about $200 (?) for an Audi. I'm still not clear why.

Did you really call the Q7 unreliable because you don't see them on the roads? Come on man lol. You're wondering why you see more Pilots? Have you looked at the price points of both vehicles?
Penalty Box
Dec 28, 2004
873 posts
104 upvotes
Montreal

What he said. And because your wife doesn't care about luxury features my choice would be a 2020 Highlander(or Pilot to respect your choice). Bullet proof mechanic that should be able to take the stress of occasional 4000lb towing … that's still 20% less than the 5000lb announced by Toyota.(or Honda)
Peace of mind has value to ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2426 posts
171 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Just a suggestion ...

Have you consider looking into a Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Sequoia or Toyota Highlander (similar to honda pilot)?
Banned
Mar 24, 2020
99 posts
72 upvotes
Hey Blubbs, I'm going to post the capitalist view point that many people will appreciate, but it needs to be said.

If you're looking to buy a car right now, it's a bad time. If you can weather the up coming recession, then I would wait for August-September. At that point, lots of people will be out of cash and need to liquidate their positions (aka their vehicles, etc.).

Short term, you will find really good deals. I don't think dealers are desperate enough yet. Give it a few more months.
Blubbs wrote: Hey all,

My spouse and I have been discussing and are thinking we want to get a trailer this year. Something 3000-4000 lbs dry most likely. We'd likely prefer to stay pretty far below the tow rating. Won't consider a pickup truck as we need an SUV and garage is smaller.

We had been looking at the Pilot and Ascent for good value as a family vehicle. However they both top out at 5000lbs. The Q7 weighs 5000 lbs, about 800lbs more than a Pilot and has a tow rating of 7700lbs, plus despite being long it isn't super wide and would probably be easier than other options that can tow a lot to park. This makes it highly interesting to my spouse who generally doesn't care about luxury car features much. Though I also know rear cargo room is a bit limited comparably.

Here are a few I am considering looking at. What do you think of these? Are we looking at money pits most likely? Note that these are being sold by a Honda dealership so I doubt I can get extended warranty.

Banned
Mar 24, 2020
99 posts
72 upvotes

You're comparing a Honda pilot to a Q7... one costs 40k brand new.. the other costs 80k new. lol... there would always be less high end vehicles on the road.... but in forest hill i see lots of q7s
Feb 12, 2006
789 posts
331 upvotes
2012-2016 Audi’s are solid. I have a 16 Q5 and have had zero issues with it - proper care and maintenance goes along way. The 2017-19’s are made in Mexico (they switched SUV production from Germany to Mexico plants) and are considered “first gens”. Take that for what it’s worth.

I see many Q5’s and Q7’s around my parts
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3352 posts
4499 upvotes
Edmonton
david107 wrote: Hey Blubbs, I'm going to post the capitalist view point that many people will appreciate, but it needs to be said.

If you're looking to buy a car right now, it's a bad time. If you can weather the up coming recession, then I would wait for August-September. At that point, lots of people will be out of cash and need to liquidate their positions (aka their vehicles, etc.).

Short term, you will find really good deals. I don't think dealers are desperate enough yet. Give it a few more months.
I generally agree but we want to enjoy this summer and I don't mind spending a couple grand extra to achieve that. Also I can get a deal on stuff from my relative.
david107 wrote: You're comparing a Honda pilot to a Q7... one costs 40k brand new.. the other costs 80k new. lol... there would always be less high end vehicles on the road.... but in forest hill i see lots of q7s
Good point lol.
desolatioN wrote: 2012-2016 Audi’s are solid. I have a 16 Q5 and have had zero issues with it - proper care and maintenance goes along way. The 2017-19’s are made in Mexico (they switched SUV production from Germany to Mexico plants) and are considered “first gens”. Take that for what it’s worth.

I see many Q5’s and Q7’s around my parts
The Q7 is assembled in Slovakia and uses largely European made parts.

It's pretty crazy how overkill the Q7 suspension is, gives me a lot of confidence in the vehicle:

Aug 5, 2018
137 posts
153 upvotes
For that price you can buy a new Japanese or domestic SUV (Manufacturer's Warranty). Maybe you're going for an image though. Looking at IIHS both the 2017 Q7 and current Cherokee get the same crash rating.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28798 posts
9283 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: Also, since I do all maintenance with my mechanic mentioned in an earlier post, I wonder if the oil change would still be just as much or whether it is partially dealership markup. I suppose I should ask him. I certainly know parts will be very pricey.
3.0T requires synthetic and specific oil spec (50x.xx) and also needs 7L of it. Many vehicles require synthetic these days but there still a bit of additional cost in the oil compared to vehicles which use a more traditional 4-5L; the filter probably isn't cheap either, with Canadian retail it's probably like $25 or so. You can probably get the filters online for around $15 though. An oil change shouldn't cost as much as $200 but it might cost a bit more than a run of the mill Honda w/synthetic oil.

Also it's hilarious people on this forum, still using terms like "Japanese" and "domestic" like it's 1998 again :rolleyes: Then talking about Honda Pilot as if it were Japanese when it has always been an American-made vehicle--proudly made in Lincoln, Alabama boys and girls. In fact Honda makes more American vehicles now than most people know...of these lists about half of them are comprised of Hondas:
https://www.cars.com/articles/cars-coms ... ar-404547/
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g ... ar-brands/
They're probably making more cars in America than the "domestic" makes, probably has something to do with the term "domestic" being way outmoded but hey what do I know I'm only living in the present day, not 25 years ago :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9922 posts
1799 upvotes
Keep in mind unibody cant tow as much as on frame. So you will need to shop around a bit more to find a unibody that's been strengthened.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12223 posts
6762 upvotes
Brampton
If you need the 3rd row the Q7 is pretty cramped. It's almost as bad as the CX-9

If you have a trust worthy mechanic I would do a Q7

It's not so much the drivetrain that will be the issue. It's the high-tech stuff. I had a bud that had a 2015 TDI. The drivetrain was solid. But the infotainment went on it.
Power lift gate needed to be fixed. Various small electronics.
it was all covered extended warranty. When his warranty was up he took his dieselgate payout and got a Model S.
He's a sucker for punishment I joked but his Model S has been less trouble but still not troublefree.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4103 posts
4232 upvotes
GTA
4000 lbs is a heavy trailer. You say "dry", so I assume a camper trailer. IMO, you need a half-ton pickup, or a body-on-frame SUV at minimum to tow that on a regular basis safely. Not a crossover.

I used to tow my track car on a trailer with my GMC 1500. That trailer was 4200 lbs loaded. I towed that setup thousands of km's, but there were 2 instances when I had to make a panic stop. And let me tell you, it's **** scary with that extra weight behind you. I'm pretty sure if I was towing with something smaller, I would've crashed.

A camper trailer is a big wind sail as well. It's more susceptible to trailer sway than other types. A long wheelbase helps with stability in that situation.

Also keep in mind how passengers, cargo, tounge weight, and a "wet" trailer can all affect the towing capacity. You might have some safety margin with the theoretical maximum towing capacity, but once everything is fully loaded you might be at the limit of what the vehicle is capable of.
Dec 16, 2010
786 posts
681 upvotes
Canada
Blubbs wrote: Thanks, all good advice. I can probably find out the full story on these and see where they came from (TBH I haven't confirmed they are all lease returns yet) and what kind of discount I could get on them from on Monday. This is the same dealership I bought my Clarity from and it's through my relative the sales manager whom I've helped with real estate in the past. That being said with a used car, even with it being a family transaction I would get my mechanic who I've trusted for years and who designs the curriculum for new mechanics in AB to do a full third party inspection.
Sounds like you have more than enough resources you need to make an informed decision based on all the people you know.

What does your relative think? What does your mechanic think? If you trust these people, they'll be able to advise you the best.