• Apr 14th, 2021 9:57 am
[OP]
Sep 11, 2007
194 posts
38 upvotes

QC Only: IVC Telecom 100Mbps 34.95$ 12 months

Deal Link:
Price:
I just subscribed to this Videotron reseller with their spring promo. 35$ for the first 12 months, 40$ for year 2 & 3, 50$ year 4+. 59$ for installation which includes wired modem. Extra 5$ if you need wireless. For 35$/month, I decided to give it a shot.

https://www.ivctel.com/promotion/quebec ... T4QAvD_BwE
52 replies
Feb 23, 2008
100 posts
282 upvotes
Montreal
Seem to be good deal for 100 mbps and for QC. But lots of negative reviews in Est for this provider. Anyway let us know how it goes.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2006
1114 posts
551 upvotes
ivctel is ciktel, I have heard its pretty slow in some areas in the east but not sure of qc. (ivctel however is more french focused than ciktel)

In BC its pretty stable but never get the full 100. Usually about 80 mbps...
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4674 posts
2031 upvotes
GTA
Friendly reminder that this ISP and its affiliated companies like CIK, and CanNet use shills and fake accounts to post about them and that includes here on RFD. They also go around posting fake positive reviews.

Check any of the CanNet threads on RFD for bad experiences.

This is the type of company you're dealing and entrusting your internet service with if you use these guys. They'd rather pay people to fake reviews than improve service.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5645 posts
4610 upvotes
Vancouver
Dave98 wrote: Friendly reminder that this ISP and its affiliated companies like CIK, and CanNet use shills and fake accounts to post about them and that includes here on RFD. They also go around posting fake positive reviews.

Check any of the CanNet threads on RFD for bad experiences.

This is the type of company you're dealing and entrusting your internet service with if you use these guys. They'd rather pay people to fake reviews than improve service.
The only constant thing I see in these threads about CIK/IVC/etc. is a negative post from you.

Hmm.

Ron.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4674 posts
2031 upvotes
GTA
newfbc wrote: The only constant thing I see in these threads about CIK/IVC/etc. is a negative post from you.

Hmm.

Ron.
To be clear, I think I've only posted in about three of them in total but I'll keep doing it as long as they use shills. Not saying this OP is one though.
Nov 28, 2013
13 posts
13 upvotes
I have recently shopped around a lot here in Qc for internet. I have long considered going with IVC even with all the bad reviews on them (Simply go look at their fb page, comments upon comments of bad stuff and obvious deletion of comments). But with a router it was going up to 40$ per month. I decided to go with Oxio for 42$/month including router + 1 free month, and honestly I couldn't have been happier, service is A1 up until now.
Sep 23, 2007
251 posts
54 upvotes
Yul
Zadori wrote: I have recently shopped around a lot here in Qc for internet. I have long considered going with IVC even with all the bad reviews on them (Simply go look at their fb page, comments upon comments of bad stuff and obvious deletion of comments). But with a router it was going up to 40$ per month. I decided to go with Oxio for 42$/month including router + 1 free month, and honestly I couldn't have been happier, service is A1 up until now.
Definitely important to read and ask people around your area for reference to their internet service quality. It's a very important decision wich ISP to choose with everything going online.

Thanks for sharing Rainbow
[OP]
Sep 11, 2007
194 posts
38 upvotes
germ80 wrote: I just subscribed to this Videotron reseller with their spring promo. 35$ for the first 12 months, 40$ for year 2 & 3, 50$ year 4+. 59$ for installation which includes wired modem. Extra 5$ if you need wireless. For 35$/month, I decided to give it a shot.

https://www.ivctel.com/promotion/quebec ... T4QAvD_BwE
Quick update: I placed my order last night, received both a confirmation for installation for next Saturday and the delivery of my modem by Purolator next business day. So far so good.

Since they're a Videotron reseller, what is there really to be afraid of though?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4674 posts
2031 upvotes
GTA
germ80 wrote: Quick update: I placed my order last night, received both a confirmation for installation for next Saturday and the delivery of my modem by Purolator next business day. So far so good.

Since they're a Videotron reseller, what is there really to be afraid of though?
The term reseller when it comes to ISPs is a bit of a misnomer. It implies that they simply resell Videotrons internet when that is not the case at all.

Third party ISPs like this use the same physical lines that Videotron uses but they have their own capacity, routing, etc.

So just because service is good with Videotron, it doesn't mean it will be the case with a third party
[OP]
Sep 11, 2007
194 posts
38 upvotes
Zadori wrote: I have recently shopped around a lot here in Qc for internet. I have long considered going with IVC even with all the bad reviews on them (Simply go look at their fb page, comments upon comments of bad stuff and obvious deletion of comments). But with a router it was going up to 40$ per month. I decided to go with Oxio for 42$/month including router + 1 free month, and honestly I couldn't have been happier, service is A1 up until now.
Thanks for this post. If it doesn't work out with IVC, I'll definitely have a look at Oxio. By the way, I just looked at their website and saw the free month promo, but haven't seen anything close to 42$/month for 100Mbps. Was that a recent promo?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4594 posts
4655 upvotes
Vancouver
germ80 wrote: Since they're a Videotron reseller, what is there really to be afraid of though?
These TPIA providers use the cable physical infrastructure provided by companies like Videotron, Rogers, and Shaw, but they have to provide their own traffic routing servers. If their servers suck, if they get overloaded every evening, if they have bad peering, then their service sucks.

They all have minimal customer service and technical support - and sometimes below minimal. And the infrastructure providers like Videotron give them bottom priority for investigating and fixing faults. If something goes wrong it often takes days or weeks to get it reported, investigated and resolved, and you won't get much hand-holding along the way.

Doesn't mean they can't be a good deal - I'm currently using one, Lightspeed. Just don't assume that they are necessarily the same as using the underlying infrastructure provider.
Last edited by Scote64 on Mar 5th, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Sep 11, 2007
194 posts
38 upvotes
Dave98 wrote: The term reseller when it comes to ISPs is a bit of a misnomer. It implies that they simply resell Videotrons internet when that is not the case at all.

Third party ISPs like this use the same physical lines that Videotron uses but they have their own capacity, routing, etc.

So just because service is good with Videotron, it doesn't mean it will be the case with a third party
Gotcha, can't wait to see then... I'm getting a bit worried here, although CS has been flawless so far
Feb 13, 2009
288 posts
83 upvotes
montreal, qc
oxio is cable internet?
Jun 27, 2013
123 posts
81 upvotes
Montr
germ80 wrote: Since they're a Videotron reseller, what is there really to be afraid of though?
So the logic is -> since every ISP is either reseller of Bell or Videotron, then the only difference is the price.
Mar 2, 2015
212 posts
319 upvotes
Montreal, QC
ogcmtl wrote: oxio is cable internet?
Yes. And I will one up the comment of good experience with Oxio. :D Very pleased 2 months in.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
1197 posts
301 upvotes
Gatineau
Same here. Oxio is super good
Considered IVC but stayed away.
shawnie53 wrote: Yes. And I will one up the comment of good experience with Oxio. :D Very pleased 2 months in.
Mar 2, 2015
212 posts
319 upvotes
Montreal, QC
For anyone signing up with Oxio, they have the first month free with coupon code changepouroxio and an additional $25 off your second/third month with a referral code.

I can’t speak for their TV or phone service, but their internet is solid. They even provide a free modem and pretty good wifi router.
Nov 13, 2003
158 posts
2 upvotes
I'm on this promo since 3 weeks in Montreal, so far I get 110-120 mb really stable.
To me it's a no brainer for the price (I was on Carrytel and CIK ADSL before)