• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2020 2:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1820 posts
457 upvotes

Qi Wireless Charger Receivers

The Redmi Note 5 phone I'm using (and another Note 8pro that's "still in transit"), while excellent values, don't have wireless charging.

I've been considering some of these wireless Qi charging receivers that have a flat patch/coil which plug into the phone's charging port: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000239 ... 2e0eswxK1n

Has anyone had any experience with using these? Is there any real performance difference between "5W" and "10W"?
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5047 posts
2736 upvotes
GTA
I've used these before a few years ago, you need to be dead on accurate when placing it otherwise they won't charge. Maybe something changed with these new ones.
Mar 2, 2017
287 posts
294 upvotes
+1 on having to being accurate when placing it on the charger.

I got an addon wireless receiver off eBay for a Samsung S3 a few years ago. (In that case it actually went behind the battery cover and connected to a charging port beside the battery, so it didn't tie up the usb port.) But I found it very finicky when placing it on the charger. If it wasn't perfect, it didn't work.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19063 posts
6432 upvotes
Toronto
I used them with an iPhone and Android. I would not use them again because they are not that quick and they can get really warm during the charging process.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4930 posts
2153 upvotes
Vancity
If by going with wireless charging you want to save the hassle of connecting the phone, there's another solution. Get a magnetic charging connector/adapter like this. Only a few bucks. Quickly snaps on without any effort.
signature closed for renovation