Shopping Discussion

Quality of Costco's free Wireless Earbuds?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2019 9:17 pm
[OP]
Oct 30, 2017
10 posts
4 upvotes

Quality of Costco's free Wireless Earbuds?

Has anyone here got a phone from Costco that came with the free wireless earbuds? I'm trying to decide if they're worth it or a piece of crap.
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 5th, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title for clarity
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5577 posts
1948 upvotes
Alberta
Think about it, if they give it away for free it can’t be that good. No different than the AKG earphones That came with my S8. If you research it it says “Tuned by AKG”.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24211 posts
4487 upvotes
What do you mean by "worth it"? Worth what? They're free. Soooo....worth $0.00? Well if they're not worth that then I guess they are worthless! :lol:
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5625 posts
1449 upvotes
Montreal
They work fine, but they're probably worth $20. Don't let them sway your decision.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5577 posts
1948 upvotes
Alberta
psyko514 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 10:49 pm
They work fine, but they're probably worth $20. Don't let them sway your decision.
This ^^^^^ - it's just another marketing strategy to get you to buy a phone from them.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
4525 posts
4351 upvotes
Vancouver
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 4:52 pm
Think about it, if they give it away for free it can’t be that good.
Not necessarily. New phones are given away for "free" all the time when you sign up for a 2-year, locked-in ripoff overpriced carrier plan. Doesn't mean that the phone isn't good.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5625 posts
1449 upvotes
Montreal
Kiraly wrote:
Apr 6th, 2019 12:39 pm
Not necessarily. New phones are given away for "free" all the time when you sign up for a 2-year, locked-in ripoff overpriced carrier plan. Doesn't mean that the phone isn't good.
Phones are not given away for free and you obviously know that based on what you wrote, so your comparison is useless/
Sep 14, 2003
638 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
It's this one:

Basically the Amazon.ca listing but without the wireless charging case.

The Costco freebie version comes with dual-microUSB cable to charge each "pod." The microUSB port on the pods have a plastic protector on it that's tiny and you're guaranteed to lose it. Other than that, it has really boomy bass if that's your thing, not mine. The standard 'medium' size inserts fit my ears pretty well and it's a good seal with very good sound isolation. The pods don't come loose when I shake my head. If you plan to use just one pod, that's doable but only the right pod has a microphone so you must use that one. The pods themselves are a bit large and stick out quite a bit from the ear so you'll kinda look like a Teletubby, not the cool kid with the Apple Airpods. There's a blue light on the power button(s) that blink once every 10 seconds or so.

It's a nice little perk along with the car charger for buying a phone but not worth the $80 sticker price. Definitely not the worst I've heard (looking at you JBL Yurbuds) so I'd put this in the middle-of-the-pack. You'll get similar quality buying the standard $30 Sony headphones from Best Buy or whatever, just without the wires.