• Aug 29th, 2021 12:50 pm
[OP]
Jan 29, 2010
48 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto

Quality Difference Between Rice Brands

Hi there,

Recently I bought some cheaper rice (was Calrose) 12$ / 8 kg. The rice was very mushy and also had this very starchy flavor. I adjusted water which made texture slightly less mushy but it still had this different taste (not exactly stale, not sure what it is).

So my question is, when people say theres a quality differences in rice brands (like Ox, pacific gold being more expensive and higher quality). What exactly is the difference? How they process the grain, treat with some chemicals?

I tried to look online, and people usually dont talk about rice brands but different grain types, which is not what im looking for.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31908 posts
18911 upvotes
Toronto

This is what I have been consuming in the last year or so. Stocked up when on sale at No Frills for like $9 a bag. I found to be pretty decent overall.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
I think different people are accustomed to their rice a different way.
So different rice will work better for different people's tastes, traditions, and application.
I would not want a fragrant rice for rice pudding but a more neutral tasting one.
Nor would I make my rice pudding in a rice cooker,(nor add eggs as traditional recipes call for).
I know many people use rice cookers these days.
I still boil my rice in a pot and strain.
Sure you lose all the congee type starch and nutrients but this way suits me.
I also wash my rice before cooking rinsing away some of the starch.
Some people may not wash their rice to maintain maximum starchiness.
I still think rice needs to be washed at least once.
Not washing may account for funky smells and tastes IMO.

https://www.mashed.com/189311/reasons-y ... -shouldnt/

I see Asian people buying the specialty rice like Calrose etc when on sale.
I use ordinary long grain white rice.
Yellow label works well for me.
I tried selection brand which was more starchy and cooked fasted.
Just bought some Mr Goudas to try.
I use parboiled rice for certain one pot dishes as it can take longer cooking times.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22877 posts
21724 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
gh05t wrote: I think different people are accustomed to their rice a different way.
So different rice will work better for different people's tastes, traditions, and application.
I would not want a fragrant rice for rice pudding but a more neutral tasting one.
Nor would I make my rice pudding in a rice cooker,(nor add eggs as traditional recipes call for).
I know many people use rice cookers these days.
I still boil my rice in a pot and strain.
Sure you lose all the congee type starch and nutrients but this way suits me.
I also wash my rice before cooking rinsing away some of the starch.
Some people may not wash their rice to maintain maximum starchiness.
I still think rice needs to be washed at least once.
Not washing may account for funky smells and tastes IMO.

https://www.mashed.com/189311/reasons-y ... -shouldnt/

I see Asian people buying the specialty rice like Calrose etc when on sale.
I use ordinary long grain white rice.
Yellow label works well for me.
I tried selection brand which was more starchy and cooked fasted.
Just bought some Mr Goudas to try.
I use parboiled rice for certain one pot dishes as it can take longer cooking times.
This

Rice is a starch staple … like Potatoes

Lots of different kinds, lots of ways to prepare.
Something for everyone.

Our go to rice these days is Presidents Choice Basmati Rice
It comes in different sized bags (750 grams - 1.5 Kg - 5 Kgs )

But we occasionally buy other types of rice for other recipes etc
Jasmine, Short Grain for Sushi, Brown Rice, Cdn Wild Rice etc
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8402 posts
4083 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
What kind of rice is Cal Rose anyway? Have a bag from a trade show but have never knowingly eaten the stuff.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5324 posts
4019 upvotes
Sticky, more suited for sushi, but you can eat it like regular if you dont mind it a bit stickier and mushier
May 28, 2012
11941 posts
4541 upvotes
Saskatoon
thriftshopper wrote: What kind of rice is Cal Rose anyway? Have a bag from a trade show but have never knowingly eaten the stuff.
I think Calrose rice is a short grain rice...the name might be related to where it is grown (California). I've used it for sushi. Imo, it's not interchangeable with long grain rice. I'm not that picky when it comes to rice brand but there was one I bought years ago that I found unpalatable...bought it at Coop and it had "dragon" in its name. I ended up using it for crafts, lol.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
Calrose is a medium grain milagrosa type (jasmine) rice from California.

I typically buy Rose brand milagrosa jasmine rice. I think it is an older brand & the name may have something to do with the "Calrose" choice of moniker.

Banned
Aug 20, 2021
1020 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
Most Chinese people living here I have asked about rice seem to tell me that they think rice from Thailand is the best.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
li_jon912 wrote: Recently I bought some cheaper rice (was Calrose) 12$ / 8 kg. The rice was very mushy and also had this very starchy flavor. I adjusted water which made texture slightly less mushy but it still had this different taste (not exactly stale, not sure what it is).
Jasmine and basmati rice is higher in 2-acetyl-1-pyrroline which gives it a baked bread/popcorn-like flavour. If the rice is stale it can have an off, cardboard-like flavour.
li_jon912 wrote: So my question is, when people say theres a quality differences in rice brands (like Ox, pacific gold being more expensive and higher quality). What exactly is the difference? How they process the grain, treat with some chemicals?
The better brands are higher in 2-acetyl-1-pyrroline and so have a more intense flavour.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2541 posts
1120 upvotes
Calrose is like that. It's sushi rice. It's less mushy than sticky (sweet rice). If you want something dry then get Jasmin or Basmati. Brand doesn't really matter much. Some people notice the difference but I don't. I still am finishing one of my Calrose rice bag. All rice type are good with certain type of food. Depends what you put on it. Calrose rice is more popular in Korean and Japanese restaurant. Other Asians eat Jasmin mostly. Calrose rice used to be alot more expensive but I think it losts popularity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calrose_rice
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
What’s fhe consensus on the rooster brand that goes on sale almost every month or so at no frills? Regular price $15-18 but $10 when on sale. Is this brand high in arsenic or something? Rose, lady, and little boy are a little more premium. Never goes on sale and often coveted by Asians.
Aug 26, 2019
385 posts
469 upvotes
Guelph-Kitchener-Wat…
I grab one of those oversized rice bags (8kg) when they go on sale at No frills. I am not Asian and I run through this bag within 2-3 months. I wait like a vulture to use my PC points too. WIN WIN WIN.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8402 posts
4083 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Supercooled wrote: What’s fhe consensus on the rooster brand that goes on sale almost every month or so at no frills? Regular price $15-18 but $10 when on sale. Is this brand high in arsenic or something? Rose, lady, and little boy are a little more premium. Never goes on sale and often coveted by Asians.
Arsenic is apparently high in rice grown in the southern U.S.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18054 posts
12776 upvotes
Markham
Each person needs to buy and test/try different brands. When you find one or two that you like, most ppl stick to those.

Every type and brand is different you have to experiment.

Variables:
Pre wash
Soak times if any
Amount of water
Method (stove top, induction cooker, double water cooker like tatung, pressure cook etc)

Texture is personal preference, one person's might is another not mushy etc.

I have in my pantry basmati, short grain, multi grain (mix my own), jasmine, brown, black, red, Thai riceberry. Spanish bomba, arborio. Other grains that are like rice include Pearl barley, quinoa etc. (Sure I'm missing some LOL).

One rice does not satisfy every dish.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!