[OP]
Oct 7, 2012
8 posts
Calgary

Quality of MagicJackPlus

Hi All,
Anyone using MagicJackPlus?
How is the quality?
I am currently using Primus and it charging me about CAD 41 and I am looking for alternatives. While searching in Google, found MagicJackPlus.
Any idea regarding the quality?
Thanks in advance.
Chowdhury
15 replies
Mar 21, 2006
477 posts
55 upvotes
Thornhill
I've been using it for a year. After the initial year, for around $20/year for North American long distance, it really can't be beat.

I have a local number where most of my family is (additional $10 year for the number) and they call it locally. I then have that number forwarded to my house line, so in effect the MagicJack never rings. All inbound are through my land line and I use the MJ handsets for outbound LD calling.

Is it perfect? No. Occasionally it drops a few words and I've had it sound muffled a few times, but for $20/year, I can live with the occasional glitch. I wouldn't replace my land line with it though.
Dolfan
- The opinions stated above are mine personally and don't necessarily represent my employer in any way, shape or form.

Active BST Postings: None
Dec 17, 2006
56 posts
57 upvotes
Abbotsford
I've been using it as our primary home phone for about 3 months now - and I'd never go back. Yes, very occasionally (once every couple of weeks) it might disconnect partway through a call - but the cost saving and other premium features are worth it. (By the way, audio quality has been first class.)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6562 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
Why not go with freephoneline?
This space for rent
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
chowdhury123 wrote: Hi All,
Anyone using MagicJackPlus?
How is the quality?
I am currently using Primus and it charging me about CAD 41 and I am looking for alternatives. While searching in Google, found MagicJackPlus.
Any idea regarding the quality?
Thanks in advance.
Chowdhury
my friend uses it in the states and he likes it. when we talk sometimes he breaks up but it isn't too bad.

the biggest issue is they drop the call after 1 hour (exactly 1 hour) and at first we didn't understand if it was just a problem with connections or something until i read in many posts that they do this. so now when we talk we are prepared to have the line cut and at the hour mark and either finish up just before or have him call me back.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5391 posts
5428 upvotes
Edmonton
Magic plus and magic jack are going to have same quality. The plus just means there is no computer in between.it plugs directly into the router. Having said that we have been using it for 5 months and it just works. Make sure you have a decent internet connection and router. Another plus is that now they have an android app so do you can use it on the go
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1766 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I had the original MagicJack about 5 years ago and I found the quality to be okay but it obviously didn't compare to a landline phone. I stopped using it after 1 year since I wasn't using it a lot and didn't want the MJ software to be on my computer (constantly running) and have the device always plugged into my computer.

For me, I found the quality to be worst than a cellphone and I would never replace a landline phone line with it if the landline phone was the only phone available (no cellphone).

I wrote a review on my blog about the original MagicJack about 6 months after I got it *HERE*.

I am considering whether I should try the MagicJack Plus but I haven't decided yet since I still don't make a lot of calls.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1020 posts
462 upvotes
Mr Nobody wrote: Why not go with freephoneline?
+1, why pay for a VOIP service when there are free ones?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5249 posts
1195 upvotes
I used the original MajicJack and the call quality was fine. I don't use it anymore because I've moved on to VOIP (OBI110 and voip.ms)

NOTE: If you have a MagicJack (most likely "expired") you don't use, you can use it for Google Voice using the GVJack app:

http://download.cnet.com/GVJackApp-for- ... 03619.html
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
3570 posts
1009 upvotes
Toronto
I've been using it for a month, and I can barely hear the person talking to me. Not sure if it's the connection (I'm on cable), the router firewall, the phones I'm using, or simply the bad service of Magic Jack.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1124 posts
209 upvotes
YYZ
I have it setup for my folks back in the Middle East ... they have a local Toronto number and everyone in Canada calls them and they call them back with no problem at all .... you need to have a decent speed connection though ... with low ping for better voice ..

I have it plugged in a PC because when we tried to plug it in the AC the thing fried ... so you will need to plug it in a surge protector or something but it works perfectly fine plugged in ...
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2008
2244 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
Keas wrote: my friend uses it in the states and he likes it. when we talk sometimes he breaks up but it isn't too bad.

the biggest issue is they drop the call after 1 hour (exactly 1 hour) and at first we didn't understand if it was just a problem with connections or something until i read in many posts that they do this. so now when we talk we are prepared to have the line cut and at the hour mark and either finish up just before or have him call me back.
This happens to me aswell Sometimes. Like exactly at the 1Hr 30m Mark
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1124 posts
209 upvotes
YYZ
wwedx wrote: This happens to me aswell Sometimes. Like exactly at the 1Hr 30m Mark
1 hours of talk !!!! damn .. WTH are you guys talking about! lol :D
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
bas00m wrote: 1 hours of talk !!!! damn .. WTH are you guys talking about! lol :D
we only talk about once every couple of months so got a lot to catch up with that doesn't fit in well with messages sent back and forth.

what is also weird to me is he used to live in Washington and then moved to California but i still have to call the Washington number inc the area code. just doesn't feel right.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.