Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3869 upvotes

Quality of RCSS gas

Similar to Costoc's thread, what is the quality of RCSS petrol? And who supplies it? Is it one of the big chains? (Suncor, Shell, etc?)

Also, what is the procedure with 7c/L, they have it advertised but never went in to ask
53 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2003
1480 posts
1420 upvotes
SASKABUSH
real canadian super store
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1906 posts
781 upvotes
White Rock
If you pay with PC credit card or PC bank card, you get 7c/L Superbucks (coupon) to use at Real Canadian Superstore (not valid at gas station). If you pay with other payment methods, usually you get 3c/L or 3.5c/L.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1180 posts
406 upvotes
Calgary, AB
No specific arrangement, I believe. All depends on your area, the closest refinery and what companies Loblaws (owner of RCSS) has an agreement with for the area. Could be Suncor, could be Shell, could be Imperial - it really varies. In any event, the gas you get at Superstore won't be much different from the gas at Shell or Esso, save for the detergents/additives they add themselves. These detergents/additives are the reason why gasoline from Esso or Shell is thought to be of a higher quality (http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html).

As for their points program. Superstore and other Loblaws stores offer 3.5c/L off in the form of cashback or points to everyone. When you fill up, you'll get a coupon with the receipt that'll be equal to the value of the cashback (filling up 100L = 350 cents or $3.5 in the coupon) - you can then use this coupon while shopping at any Loblaws store. OR you can sign up for a free PC Plus card and collect points there - the net value of your savings ends up being the same. I prefer keeping a PC Plus card as it is easier to just carry a card in your wallet instead of collecting and tearing off 10 coupons. The 7c/L off is a promotion for their Mastercard. If you sign up for their PC Mastercard, you end up getting 7c/L off gas.

It's actually a pretty decent program, to be honest. A few fill ups can make a small grocery run free. I switch between this one and the Esso one.
Sep 9, 2009
75 posts
7 upvotes
Oakville
With respect to gasoline quality, you are not living in a 3rd world country. North America has high standards of gasoline quality, much like Western Europe, Australia, Japan, Korea, etc.
Otherwise, CP24 (continuous panic 24) would have something to go overly analytical on this topic for months.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3869 upvotes
pulkit10 wrote: No specific arrangement, I believe. All depends on your area, the closest refinery and what companies Loblaws (owner of RCSS) has an agreement with for the area. Could be Suncor, could be Shell, could be Imperial - it really varies. In any event, the gas you get at Superstore won't be much different from the gas at Shell or Esso, save for the detergents/additives they add themselves. These detergents/additives are the reason why gasoline from Esso or Shell is thought to be of a higher quality (http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html).

As for their points program. Superstore and other Loblaws stores offer 3.5c/L off in the form of cashback or points to everyone. When you fill up, you'll get a coupon with the receipt that'll be equal to the value of the cashback (filling up 100L = 350 cents or $3.5 in the coupon) - you can then use this coupon while shopping at any Loblaws store. OR you can sign up for a free PC Plus card and collect points there - the net value of your savings ends up being the same. I prefer keeping a PC Plus card as it is easier to just carry a card in your wallet instead of collecting and tearing off 10 coupons. The 7c/L off is a promotion for their Mastercard. If you sign up for their PC Mastercard, you end up getting 7c/L off gas.

It's actually a pretty decent program, to be honest. A few fill ups can make a small grocery run free. I switch between this one and the Esso one.
Yea my new place has RCSS close by. Usually it's the same price vs all other petrol retailers, so an extra 3.5c cash back wouldn't be bad depending who provides their petrol. I also have the PC MC which I haven't used in years. I'l have to see if it's worth using that for 7c vs my 2% for 3.5c only.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
What does that even have to do with this thread?
Messerschmitt wrote: Yea my new place has RCSS close by. Usually it's the same price vs all other petrol retailers, so an extra 3.5c cash back wouldn't be bad depending who provides their petrol. I also have the PC MC which I haven't used in years. I'l have to see if it's worth using that for 7c vs my 2% for 3.5c only.
All gas in the GTA comes from Imperial, Suncor of Shell refineries. they are the only ones in Ontario. The difference between the refineries are really nothing. What makes Shell, Esso, Petro-Can, Canadain Tire, Costco, Billy's Discount Gas and all the other gas products is the additives. The additives are placed in the tanker trucks as the gas is being loaded.
So, to your question about RCSS gas, it is purchased under contract or off the spot market and the additive package is either specked by RCSS (which I doubt) or whatever is in the truck at the time of purchase. So, there could be only the minimum required additives or could be Shell, Esso or some other brand package. You never know.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4030 upvotes
Toronto
They use water

Like holy ***** dude it's gasoline. Your rorolla will be ok
Mar 4, 2013
646 posts
499 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: What does that even have to do with this thread?

All gas in the GTA comes from Imperial, Suncor of Shell refineries. they are the only ones in Ontario. The difference between the refineries are really nothing. What makes Shell, Esso, Petro-Can, Canadain Tire, Costco, Billy's Discount Gas and all the other gas products is the additives. The additives are placed in the tanker trucks as the gas is being loaded.
So, to your question about RCSS gas, it is purchased under contract or off the spot market and the additive package is either specked by RCSS (which I doubt) or whatever is in the truck at the time of purchase. So, there could be only the minimum required additives or could be Shell, Esso or some other brand package. You never know.
Top Tier is a standard for gas that meets or exceeds the detergent and additive requirements. Since we don't know what's in RCSS gas I think it's safer to go with something that qualifies for Top Tier.

Companies like Esso, Shell, or Chevron have their own trucks so I would imagine that there will be less chance of their gas mixed with other additives from another company.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
acheuk wrote: Top Tier is a standard for gas that meets or exceeds the detergent and additive requirements. Since we don't know what's in RCSS gas I think it's safer to go with something that qualifies for Top Tier.

Companies like Esso, Shell, or Chevron have their own trucks so I would imagine that there will be less chance of their gas mixed with other additives from another company.
Your link does not add anything to the topic, neither does your latest post. Look at your link, it lists top tier retailers. Top Tier designation is the additive package to the refined gasoline. Any station could end up with that additive package.
Yes, Shell, Esso and Chevron have their own trucks but way more unidentified tanker trucks flow through the refineries than branded ones. That way they can go to any station and deliver their load.
I guarantee you that gas from all refineries end up at all stations.
Mar 4, 2013
646 posts
499 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Your link does not add anything to the topic, neither does your latest post. Look at your link, it lists top tier retailers. Top Tier designation is the additive package to the refined gasoline. Any station could end up with that additive package.
Yes, Shell, Esso and Chevron have their own trucks but way more unidentified tanker trucks flow through the refineries than branded ones. That way they can go to any station and deliver their load.
I guarantee you that gas from all refineries end up at all stations.
If you think my link to tell people what top tier gas means and who qualifies is useless that's fine, others might find it helpful. How do you guarantee all gas ends up in all station? How do you know, do you work for them?

Does cheap gas affect the engine? Maybe read this or do some googling yourself.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/is-chea ... r-car.html
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1375 posts
282 upvotes
Mississauga
never seen a RCSS gas station before
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
acheuk wrote: If you think my link to tell people what top tier gas means and who qualifies is useless that's fine, others might find it helpful. How do you guarantee all gas ends up in all station? How do you know, do you work for them?

Does cheap gas affect the engine? Maybe read this or do some googling yourself.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/is-chea ... r-car.html
Think about it. There are only 5 refineries from 3 brands that produce gas in Ontario. Where do all the gas stations get their gas? Hmmmm, from one of them?
Your hard on about top tier gas is really moot to this topic about RCSS gas. I really think you should read the links you post instead of just Googling and then cut and pasting.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)