Quality sofas or sectionals

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2020 8:17 am
[OP]
Dec 9, 2019
65 posts
20 upvotes

Quality sofas or sectionals

Looking for a quality sofa or sectional (preferably sectional). Would love for it to be a recliner but I've been reading that they might start having issues as the years go on? I've been looking at La-Z-boy but i've read that their quality has gone downhill for a while now as they've outsourced a lot of the manufacturing to China so I would preferably want to find one built in Canada or the US. Thanks in advance.
18 replies
Feb 14, 2020
13 posts
10 upvotes
The Hammer
We love our sectional from EQ3.
Yes, it was not cheap, but it is made in Canada and after 2 years of heavy use looks brand new.
Jul 15, 2003
527 posts
171 upvotes
Went with G Romano (Montreal) and loving it so far. They (manufacturer) were able to answer all our technical questions. Tried EQ3, but all I got was blank stares (or "high density") when asking about, e.g., foam density.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2580 posts
1557 upvotes
Alliston, ON
I've had my Decor-rest sectional for a bit over a year and it's been great. They are made in Canada (Vaughan)
Have a look at Parks Furniture if you're in Ontario
Feb 26, 2019
514 posts
487 upvotes
Ottawa
Skipper wrote: Went with G Romano (Montreal) and loving it so far. They (manufacturer) were able to answer all our technical questions. Tried EQ3, but all I got was blank stares (or "high density") when asking about, e.g., foam density.
How long have you had yours? I am pretty close to ordering a sofa and two chairs from Romano. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Quality seems quite good, albeit a bit pricey. What did you learn about their foam?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8639 posts
3183 upvotes
Maple
schade wrote: I've had my Decor-rest sectional for a bit over a year and it's been great. They are made in Canada (Vaughan)
Mine is also from there more than 7 years. Frame is still good, foams may need to replaced. Leather is still good.
Jul 15, 2003
527 posts
171 upvotes
I've only had it for a few months (so can't talk experience with longevity). The sofa I had inquired about had a density of 2 lb/pi3. (I think it might vary based on the sofa though.) They do use a "high resiliency" foam which has a 3 year warranty... more than others I've seen. Springs were 8 gauge seat and 11 gauge back. If you have questions, I recommend emailing gromano directly, as they are responsive.
Mar 8, 2016
205 posts
43 upvotes
La-z-boy with their 7 year warranty is good. But you’re right, spent 9k on a couch only to have the fabric layer crack and start to peel. If I didn’t have the warranty I would have been screwed. But with warranty I was able to get a new couch.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1859 posts
2131 upvotes
West GTA
If you don't want to bother hunting too much, Ethan Allen is actually pretty decent - they use fairly good quality foam, fabric quality's not bad, and frame construction is good. Should last you 7-10y of regular use before you start to see a lot of sagging (which is longer than typical). Of course, you're paying for that quality (and extra for the brand name).

If you're willing to shop around, typically if you find a couch that uses good quality foam, it'll be a fairly good quality couch (not always, but it's commonly the case). you're looking for 2.0lb/sqft or above foam, high resiliency. If they quote you a foam 'code', then '35XX' or above would be good, while '30XX' or below would not be good. So say if they say it's 3040 foam, pass on the couch. Note that the furniture industry is notoriously scummy and they'll lie to you, so if in doubt, visit the store and pick up a cushion. Heavy = good, usually.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2082 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
Most of our furniture is from Mobilia. We like the quality and they always honor their warranty in timely manner.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10151 posts
1617 upvotes
Love our Urban Barn sectional, make sure it is custom to order though
Nov 28, 2007
76 posts
7 upvotes
London
Anything comparable in quality to The Chesterfield Shop that will actually deliver to London, ON? Having a hard time finding a good sofa with a hardwood frame locally.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9759 posts
2008 upvotes
Toronto
eatongirl wrote: Anything comparable in quality to The Chesterfield Shop that will actually deliver to London, ON? Having a hard time finding a good sofa with a hardwood frame locally.
Did you try this place? they seem quite flexible and local.

https://www.accentshomefurniture.com/living
Nov 28, 2007
76 posts
7 upvotes
London
Unfortunately based on their website they mostly carry lower-end brands (Ashley furniture, for instance) or brands that describe the frames as "Kiln-Dried Hardwood, Softwood, Engineered Wood frames". Meaning: there could be two inches of hardwood in the entire thing and technically, the description is still accurate.

Austin & Taylor looks interesting but they have no information about selection/pricing on their website so I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1562 posts
277 upvotes
I bought my sectional from Chesterfield almost 12 years ago. With almost daily usage, it did amazing but the seats and the back rest, both separable cushions had started to deform, so I sold it on Kijiji. I did not spend arms and length for it and it served me really well. I plan to get another one from there. You can customize the color you want, fabric you want and they come up with tax free events ocassionally.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15685 posts
12286 upvotes
Tarrana
Biggest mistake I made before buying my $6k sofa (on sale from $9k) is I did not focus enough on the foam density. My sofa is over a year old and looks 10 years old. The cushions have no shape. The seating is overly soft and literally feels like you are sitting in a bean bag. Well made but a big regret. Lesson learned. Don’t make the same mistake.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6589 posts
1327 upvotes
Superstyle. Find a vendor of the brand and then visit the showroom to get an idea of what you like. Then call the vendor to get a quote on pricing. Our sectional sofa from a Superstyle (purchased through Brooklyn) looks brand new and it’s maybe 8-9 years old. My sister, folks, and grandmother all followed suit and bought through the same method and everyone is happy with their purchases.

Our friends bought a sectional from EQ3 a couple years after us and theirs is ready for the curb already.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8639 posts
3183 upvotes
Maple
Chesterfield. Bought my leather recliner and fabric sofa bed from them 22 years ago. They are still functional very well, recliner has to rip. Sofa bed changed cover and added foam once (7 year ago). My sofa bed is built like a tank, extra thick mattress and whole sofa is heavy.