• Feb 2nd, 2020 8:25 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2585 posts
813 upvotes
GTA

Quality of Walmart grocery pickup?

Has anyone used the Walmart grocery pickup service? They have now moved quite a few items to this category so they're no longer eligible for shipping.

1. Do they give you the items with the shortest expiry dates? Did you ever get any expired items?
2. What about quality, e.g. of fruits and vegetables - same as you would pick yourself?
3. How do they pack items that need refrigeration, e.g. yogurt, cottage cheese? Is it kept in cold storage until you arrive?
4. Are the items in bags or boxes or do you just bring a cart to pickup?

Any other info will be appreciated.
7 replies
Feb 7, 2015
341 posts
213 upvotes
Catnippy wrote: Has anyone used the Walmart grocery pickup service? They have now moved quite a few items to this category so they're no longer eligible for shipping.

1. Do they give you the items with the shortest expiry dates? - NO. But ymmv as it depends on the walmart employee sometimes some staff doesn't care to check the expiry since they're in a hurry to prepare your order. I would say 10% of the time i get shortest expiry. I'm on my road to 100th grocery pickup on Walmart lol

Did you ever get any expired items? - NO

2. What about quality, e.g. of fruits and vegetables - same as you would pick yourself?
- same as answer on #1, hit and miss

3. How do they pack items that need refrigeration, e.g. yogurt, cottage cheese? Is it kept in cold storage until you arrive? - YES

- You can select "i will not bring bags" and they will put your items in the walmart bags free of charge or you can bring a cart or your own bags

They accept price match for grocery order which is great. Just type ad match on the search bar and then you can fill up the forms to submit
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
25669 posts
25219 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Catnippy wrote: Has anyone used the Walmart grocery pickup service? They have now moved quite a few items to this category so they're no longer eligible for shipping.

1. Do they give you the items with the shortest expiry dates? Did you ever get any expired items?
3. How do they pack items that need refrigeration, e.g. yogurt, cottage cheese? Is it kept in cold storage until you arrive?

Honestly ...

You sound like a bit of a picky shopper ... we are too

We tried Online Shopping for Groceries and quickly found that it wasn’t for us

For all the reasons / concerns you have listed

Just no one gonna give you the amount of attention you need on your ordered items ... like you are
When the price of Click & Collect is minimal or FREE

In some store chains, your order isn’t even handled one-on-one ... it’s just gathered as part of a much larger picking process
(Ie ... go to Produce and get 10 Bags of Onions, 3 Bags of Carrots, 2 Pineapples, and 1 Lemon)

Same with ... Dairy
6 Sets of 3 Bags of Milk.

Ain’t no one checking expiry dates ... they are just loading up the cart

Not sure how things are done @ Walmart

Just saying ... you shouldn’t expect too much individual attention / attention to details
In the process
When folks are out to get the job done as quickly & cheaply as possible
Last edited by PointsHubby on Feb 1st, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12885 posts
8161 upvotes
When you tell them that you are going to bring your own bags, they put everything in plastic bags anyway...and not just a couple bags either, but one or two items per bag. It's infuriating.

I'd use ordering for shelf-stable and frozen items, shop for fresh stuff, then pick up my order. I found that they struck items off my order as "out of stock" when they had them.

With the amount of time it took to pickup, I didn't save any time vs. picking out everything myself.

Not a fan.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
25669 posts
25219 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
lecale wrote: When you tell them that you are going to bring your own bags, they put everything in plastic bags anyway...and not just a couple bags either, but one or two items per bag. It's infuriating.

I'd use ordering for shelf-stable and frozen items, shop for fresh stuff, then pick up my order. I found that they struck items off my order as "out of stock" when they had them.

With the amount of time it took to pickup, I didn't save any time vs. picking out everything myself.

Not a fan.
Interesting findings ...
Especially the bit about things being Out of Stock

Something most people wouldn’t know / question
Cuz they haven’t been in the store

My guess is ... it’s another time factor
Where “the picker” either doesn’t know the item
Or ... where to find it
So they just give up ...
And say OOS

Sucks if it’s an item the Buyer truly needs
Cuz then they gotta go out again ... and buy it somewheres else
So ... a PITA
Not a time saver at all

Shopping for Groceries can indeed be time consuming
But I also see it as so much more
I think it’s actually a semi enjoyable chore
Especially when I do it with my spouse
We spend the time productively buying our groceries
But also it sparks convo about foods / meals we like
And our plans for the upcoming week
And spending time together preparing them *

It’s also the one area of our budget where we have some of the most control over
So at least for me ...
It’s sort of a game / sport
To find ways to make our annual / monthly / weekly grocery budget go as far as possible
And yet not compromise on what it is we need, want ... or even splurge on at times

Money I save now
Means perhaps money for a Romantic Seafood Feast later on in the year
Or more in the entertaining budget for friends & family

Or just more money that can be moved from the Grocery Budget to another category
Like Dining Out or Travel

Seems I am not alone in this regard
The RFD PCO & AMs threads reveal a lot of other RFDers are using this exact same strategy
Save on Category A ... means more money for Category B

* NOTE - Mind you we are now empty nesters
If I was a young family with little kids, my POV might be different
Where time trumps cost
But then ... as I remember so clearly
We didn’t have much money then ... and it’s when we began in earnest our pursuit of finding ways to save money
And groceries was by far the easiest way
By becoming strategic shoppers
And tracking prices etc
Last edited by PointsHubby on Feb 1st, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 7, 2015
341 posts
213 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Interesting findings ...
Especially the bit about things being Out of Stock

Something most people wouldn’t know / question
Cuz they haven’t been in the store

My guess is ... it’s another time factor
Where “the picker” either doesn’t know the item
Or ... where to find it
So they just give up ...
And say OOS

Sucks if it’s an item the Buyer truly needs
Cuz then they gotta go out again ... and buy it somewheres else
So ... a PITA
Not a time saver at all
This is so true. This always happens to me at Superstore every single time. After getting an email that my order is ready for pickup, i call them on that instant and ask to substitute to this similar item instead since its out of stock. And then i will pick it up within 30mins from the time i got an email its ready for pickup. Then suddenly, they will inform me that its no longer OOS when i arrive at the pickup area. So maybe the one who answered my call knows where is it and the previous picker doesn't know. I think NoFrills has better picker than RCSS cause I rarely got OOS items. Walmart is the best though in my experience for OOS cause they will substitute it to a better brand or a no name brand but will provide double quantity with what you ordered with no additional cost.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9305 posts
2984 upvotes
walmart is awesome. No problem at all. Of course they keep it in a fridge or freezer until you come. A couple of things (ever, out of a lot of orders) got substituted for very similar of same brand, and 1 wasn't available. Always charged exactly what you expected to be. Veggies are always perfect. Granted, i use it when I have a coupon, which seems to be very often so far.

Loblaws was alright, when using a coupon to save more then the "pickup fee"

No frills...I am not using again
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
6543 posts
4366 upvotes
I have never seen excellent fruit and vegetables at Wal-Mart.

Sure, I will buy frozen stuff from there, but fresh? I'd rather go to No Frills.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)