Home & Garden

Quartz countertops white or dark for easy maintenance?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2019 6:02 pm
[OP]
Nov 11, 2019
20 posts
3 upvotes

Quartz countertops white or dark for easy maintenance?

Hey everyone,

We are deciding on countertop colors atm and we would love some advice on what color to choose. This would greatly impact our color choice for the cabinets as well.

I've lived in two houses with light color quartz countertops and I notice that light color quartz, while beautiful, stains quite a bit. Sometimes we forget to wipe a section and the quartz is stained...it takes quite a bit of scrubbing to get the stain 85% removed and it really hurts my Virgo eyes to see the stain still there.

So this new house we were thinking of going with a dark gray (matte) quartz countertop. I've been reading online that dark countertops show fingerprints and dust a lot more but I'm hoping with matte it shouldn't be such a big problem? Also, the stain problem should theoretically be almost non-existant correct?

Does anybody own dark quartz countertops? Could you give me some insight on how they hold up (ideally compared to white)? Which color is lower maintenance? White or dark gray do you think? TIA
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2821 posts
548 upvotes
Ancaster
Countertops are like car paint in my opinion. The dark colours look great when clean but they show "everything".

We have black granite countertops and they look stunning when clean but are so difficult to keep that way. My wife said never again and wants a light coloured quartz next time.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9490 posts
2032 upvotes
Somewhere
I have found that dark coloured countertops makes kitchens look smaller than they are. Lighter makes things brighter and feels more roomy.

I have light grey quartz on white cabinets right now.

I'm leaning towards light grey cabinets and white countertops next time.
:confused:
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1615 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
Sjlaaa wrote: Hey everyone,

We are deciding on countertop colors atm and we would love some advice on what color to choose. This would greatly impact our color choice for the cabinets as well.

I've lived in two houses with light color quartz countertops and I notice that light color quartz, while beautiful, stains quite a bit. Sometimes we forget to wipe a section and the quartz is stained...it takes quite a bit of scrubbing to get the stain 85% removed and it really hurts my Virgo eyes to see the stain still there.

So this new house we were thinking of going with a dark gray (matte) quartz countertop. I've been reading online that dark countertops show fingerprints and dust a lot more but I'm hoping with matte it shouldn't be such a big problem? Also, the stain problem should theoretically be almost non-existant correct?

Does anybody own dark quartz countertops? Could you give me some insight on how they hold up (ideally compared to white)? Which color is lower maintenance? White or dark gray do you think? TIA
I have a white (not pure white) quartz counter top in my bathroom for the past 5 years. It looks just as good as it did when it was installed new. It has not stained at all (with the exception of a small caused by the soap dish colour leaching onto it slightly). As long as you’re cleaning it regularly and not spilling anything that can cause stains it should stay in same condition and look. It’s recommended to clean them with a cleanser; I use the vim with bleach and it makes it look brand new. I’ve seen some kitchens with dark quartz and it has stained leaving ring marks etc.

White would be your best choice as it’s more flexible and can blend with a lot colour schemes than grey would. I’m not saying to go with a pure white but go with a white tone. Don’t worry so much about the colour and just choose what will look the best in your kitchen so you’ll be happy with it.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36055 posts
10150 upvotes
Ottawa
Quartz countertops are easy to keep clean. They are wiped and that is it. They require no maintenance.
We have dark in out kitchen and white in the bathrooms. Both are excellent.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.