Toronto

Kumho Solus HA31 SUV All Weather Tires $615 after rebate

Deal Link:
Price:
$655
Retailer:
Quattro Tires
Hey Everyone,

I was looking for some all weather tires for my Santa Fe XL and came across this which from what I can tell was a good deal. I know this tire is not the best tire but from my research the reviews seem good. If you're in Toronto like me and do not have crazy amounts of snow to drive through, all weather tires are a good way to go.

They have a 10% discount with a $40 rebate with free shipping. Total after tax and rebate is $615.

https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/kumh ... -suv/23890
153 replies
Feb 1, 2017
415 posts
617 upvotes
Buy winter tires. As for these tires, go ahead, but go back to the beginning of my post and make that a mantra. Summer/performance vs all season is debatable in terms of safety in rain, so that's up to you and your particular climate. The threshold seems to be about 15C where summers start being better,(So basically all of Canada its better to go all season since several months of the year run below 15C during parts of the day). But all season vs winter isn't debatable unless you accept to not drive the days that snow or ice will be on the ground. Don't cause unnecessary accidents by being cheap.
Last edited by ryokoseigo on Jul 21st, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1313 posts
590 upvotes
These will do for the city commutes.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14197 posts
9524 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Can also compare prices with blackcircle and pmctires

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Sep 1, 2004
697 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
ryokoseigo wrote: Buy winter tires.
I don't disagree with you that winter tires are better but in certain cases, all weather tires are for more helpful. As my car is already 6 years old, I do not see myself keeping the car for more than 4 more years, why spend double the cost on two sets of tires (as I need to replace both) when one will do fine? Yes my newer car has two sets but for this car one set will do me fine.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5793 posts
3319 upvotes
Toronto
I have it on my winter car for 2 years. Works well if you don't drive alot in summer. In winter in Toronto, works like any other winter tire on dry payment. Haven't encounter heavy snow fall in past year so can't comment on it compared to my Conti winter contact si or CT Goodyear nordic. But in dry Toronto winter, all three seem fine.
Feb 1, 2017
415 posts
617 upvotes
Sambo wrote: I don't disagree with you that winter tires are better but in certain cases, all weather tires are for more helpful. As my car is already 6 years old, I do not see myself keeping the car for more than 4 more years, why spend double the cost on two sets of tires (as I need to replace both) when one will do fine? Yes my newer car has two sets but for this car one set will do me fine.
I added some info afterward, but my argument- Why risk damage to your and other vehicles, as well as potential injury because you want to save money now? Drive a car with winter tires if you live in any area that snows and or goes below 0 and could have ice. It's up to you to decide if you can manage without driving those days, or using only 1 vehicle. Go actually look at youtube clips of various tests vs winter tires, and its a joke levels of difference. All-weather/seasons will net you well more than double the time to stop. I've personally tested this with 2 vehicles, where we were shocked at how long it took to stop a car that wasn't even going 40km vs one with winters on.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5793 posts
3319 upvotes
Toronto
ryokoseigo wrote: I added some info afterward, but my argument- Why risk damage to your and other vehicles, as well as potential injury because you want to save money now? Drive a car with winter tires if you live in any area that snows and or goes below 0 and could have ice. It's up to you to decide if you can manage without driving those days, or using only 1 vehicle. Go actually look at youtube clips of various tests vs winter tires, and its a joke levels of difference. All-weather/seasons will net you well more than double the time to stop. I've personally tested this with 2 vehicles, where we were shocked at how long it took to stop a car that wasn't even going 40km vs one with winters on.
All weather tires are designed to be used in 4 seasons. They are bit softer then all season but bit harder them winter tires. In case like myself where car doesn't see more then 4000kms and mainly in winter, cost factor out weighs purchasing 1 all weather set instead of driving on winter tires in summer and pondering whether to by another summer set.

And since OP wants to get rid of the car soon, makes sense to use all weather.
[OP]
Sep 1, 2004
697 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
ryokoseigo wrote: I added some info afterward, but my argument- Why risk damage to your and other vehicles, as well as potential injury because you want to save money now? Drive a car with winter tires if you live in any area that snows and or goes below 0 and could have ice. It's up to you to decide if you can manage without driving those days, or using only 1 vehicle. Go actually look at youtube clips of various tests vs winter tires, and its a joke levels of difference. All-weather/seasons will net you well more than double the time to stop. I've personally tested this with 2 vehicles, where we were shocked at how long it took to stop a car that wasn't even going 40km vs one with winters on.
This is why I didn't even want to post this because I didn't want to get into a whole thing about why I purchased this versus two sets of tires. Having said that, these are not all seasons and do have the snow flake thingy on it. They are different than all-seasons which I would not recommend to people. After researching (and agreeing that having dedicated winters are better), I decided in my current situation that these worked for me. If anyone else is in a similar situation and want these tires, they are at a great price.

Here's one article I read about these tires and all weather tires that I found helpful.

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/ ... r%2Dseason
Last edited by Sambo on Jul 21st, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5793 posts
3319 upvotes
Toronto
Here is review on the kumho in summer compared to high performance summer only conti super contact 5p and Dunlop so 4000 all season. All 3 tires maintained good contact with the road. The kumho little more noisy but didn't wear out like my winter set that drove in summer prior.
Feb 1, 2017
415 posts
617 upvotes
Sambo wrote: This is why I didn't even want to post this because I didn't want to get into a whole thing about why I purchased this versus two sets of tires. Having said that, these are not all seasons and do have the snow flake thingy on it. They are different than all-seasons which I would not recommend to people. After researching (and agreeing that having dedicated winters are better), I decided in my current situation that these worked for me. If anyone else is in a similar situation and want these tires, they are at a great price.

Here's one article I read about these tires and all weather tires that I found helpful.

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/ ... r%2Dseason
No,, you should always post it. I didn't downvote, just want people to understand that all weather still isn't a substitute for winter tires if you're being cheap for the sake of being cheap. If you can't afford it, then yeah, best option you've got considering winters are downright dangerous in the rain. So if you can only afford 1 pair, then all-weather will be the highest overall safety option. Personally, I'd not drive without winters on, and it's not a lot of snow in Van either.

This review is fantastic at showing the benefits and weaknesses of tires. European all season is our all-weather btw. All-Weather clearly perform the best as an all-rounder, and makes me question why Canada allows all Season to be sold in the first place when it has virtually no benefits.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1313 posts
590 upvotes
I live in Edmonton and these tires were perfectly fine in deep snow and ice. It's more on the driver's driving habits that determines how it will perform. On ice they weren't worse compared to studless winter tires and in deep snow they didn't get me stuck anywhere.
[OP]
Sep 1, 2004
697 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
ryokoseigo wrote: No,, you should always post it. I didn't downvote, just want people to understand that all weather still isn't a substitute for winter tires if you're being cheap for the sake of being cheap. If you can't afford it, then yeah, best option you've got considering winters are downright dangerous in the rain. So if you can only afford 1 pair, then all-weather will be the highest overall safety option. Personally, I'd not drive without winters on, and it's not a lot of snow in Van either.

This review is fantastic at showing the benefits and weaknesses of tires. European all season is our all-weather btw. All-Weather clearly perform the best as an all-rounder, and makes me question why Canada allows all Season to be sold in the first place when it has virtually no benefits.
Sweet thanks for that. I guess this will give people enough information for an informed decision. What I really want to know though is whether or not I got a deal?! True to the RFD'er in me, I just want to be affirmed in this post that I got a great deal!
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16477 posts
2884 upvotes
GTA
ryokoseigo wrote: Buy winter tires. As for these tires, go ahead, but go back to the beginning of my post and make that a mantra. Summer/performance vs all season is debatable in terms of safety in rain, so that's up to you and your particular climate. The threshold seems to be about 15C where summers start being better,(So basically all of Canada its better to go all season since several months of the year run below 15C during parts of the day). But all season vs winter isn't debatable unless you accept to not drive the days that snow or ice will be on the ground. Don't cause unnecessary accidents by being cheap.
hey i don't disagree with your rant against all season tires. but these are all weather tires.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
2465 posts
848 upvotes
GTA
U can drive with all weather tires safely without any problems in toronto area where snow is not heavy and also snow is cleared in reasonably quick time.

Some marketing gimmick makes people believe that winter tire is a must for the safety of life.

U can drive all season tires in snow but u have to be little extra careful in speeding/braking....
‎3 Apples that changed the world: the one that Eve ate, the one that fell on Newton's head and the one that Steve Jobs built.
R.I.P Steve jobs...!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
5249 posts
5388 upvotes
Vancouver
FWIW I have a set of Kumho all-season LX Platinum tires on my BMW, replacing the original Continental all-season tires. I've had them a couple of years now, and I'm very happy with them. The original Continentals were fine for summer dry pavement, but not great in the wet, and positively dangerous on ice and snow - worst winter performance of any tire I've ever had on any car - couldn't wait to get rid of them. And that's just a Vancouver winter, never extremely cold.

The Kumho tires are good on wet and dry pavement, and they are even fine on winter snow and ice in Vancouver where we don't get super-cold temperatures. Certainly a vast improvement over the Continentals. They are also noticeably quieter and smoother, maybe just a touch less sharp handling feel. I bought them because a lot of the positive reviews on TireRack were from BMW owners, and the combination of car and tire does make a difference to which tire to choose.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16477 posts
2884 upvotes
GTA
densil_lopez wrote: U can drive with all weather tires safely without any problems in toronto area where snow is not heavy and also snow is cleared in reasonably quick time.

Some marketing gimmick makes people believe that winter tire is a must for the safety of life.

U can drive all season tires in snow but u have to be little extra careful in speeding/braking....
You're correct but you got it the other way around. It's the marketing gimmick that has people thinking all season tires are good for all seasons when in fact they're good for no seasons.
All seasons work well down to about +5C and that's it. Any colder and the rubber compound hardens, reducing grip and extending braking distances. At -10C they're hardened plastic like completely useless for snow/ice driving and pretty dangerous even in dry conditions compared to a winter tire.
Mar 9, 2008
100 posts
47 upvotes
I had these on our Smart car for 3 seasons and they were fantastic. It makes total sense here in Vancouver for our few days of snow a year. They handle totally fine for normal driving and I barely noticed any change in fuel economy. Pebbles do get stuck a lot in the large grooves though. I miss the Smart car for parking... scrapped it for an EV this year. Pic just for kicks.

Nov 20, 2019
67 posts
32 upvotes
Sambo wrote: Hey Everyone,

I was looking for some all weather tires for my Santa Fe XL and came across this which from what I can tell was a good deal. I know this tire is not the best tire but from my research the reviews seem good. If you're in Toronto like me and do not have crazy amounts of snow to drive through, all weather tires are a good way to go.

They have a 10% discount with a $40 rebate with free shipping. Total after tax and rebate is $615.

https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/kumh ... -suv/23890
Hey the tires are pretty good as of reviews.
The only thing bothers me UTQG of only 420.
Don’t you think they gonna wear in 40k to 50k km mileage?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2002
1032 posts
372 upvotes
I had the Kumho Solus that OP mentioned on my Lexus AWD sedan for a couple of years. I have also had dedicated winters on many of my other vehicles so I have some experience with ALL WEATHER (not All Season) vs Winters.

Kumho Solus vs All Season - The Kumho Solus performed well considering it was supposed to handle 4 seasons adequately. I was coming off a pair of Yokohama's Avid 4's onto the Kumho's and the Kumho's performed much better than the Yokohama's in any season (caveat, I didn't run the Yoko's in the winter but I imagine since they didn't do well even in rain, that the winter performance would have been horrid).

Kuhmo vs Dedicated Winters - because the Kuhmo's are All Weather, they don't perform excellent in every condition. They perform adequately well. Obviously there is a lot of subjectivity added in there because I'm not doing tests on a closed circuit or measuring tread depth or tire inflation, etc. The bottom line is if you live in a region where there is a lot of snow or you drive a lot in the winter, get dedicated winters. If you live in a region where the snow gets plowed pretty much the next day (ie. Toronto, Vancouver) then All Weather tires will do you fine assuming you drive safely. The All Weather tires will pull you through at least a foot of snow and won't spin like All Seasons. It won't stop as quick as dedicated winters or pull you through deep snow but it will do fine in low to moderate snow. When it snows, I'm driving more cautiously anyways so the tires will get you through those sudden snow storms. The same is to be said about summer. If you're the racing type and take corners at 80kms/hr, then you better be getting performance summers as those will grip the pavement much better than these.

The All Weather tires are what All Seasons should be. Someone mentioned above why they even bother selling All Seasons and I fully agree. All Weather tires are great for all seasons.

Lastly, if you're able to afford it, I've seen that the Michelin CrossClimate's get fantastic ratings in all categories:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... Climate%2B
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyre ... ?type=GTAS

https://www.canadadrives.ca/blog/mainte ... nter-tires