Shopping Discussion

Quebec authorized a class-action lawsuit against Car Rential companies that charge young driver extra fees base on age

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2021 10:27 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
4462 posts
10819 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …

Quebec authorized a class-action lawsuit against Car Rential companies that charge young driver extra fees base on age

Discriminatory practices among young people when renting a car - A collective action request is allowed
Press releases 07.14.21

Montreal, July 14, 2021 - A class action request, formerly called a class action suit, has been authorized by the Superior Court against several short-term car rental companies that have adopted a discriminatory practice that is contrary to the Protection Act of the consumer to drivers under the age of 25.

The lawsuit targets a dozen car rental companies including Enterprise, Alamo, National, Avis, Discount, Globe and Budget Auto. Option consommateurs criticizes these companies for making customers aged 16 to 24 pay additional fees or for preventing them altogether from renting a car or certain models of vehicles because of their age. These practices are enforced even when young drivers are already covered by their own insurance.

Although it is permissible in certain circumstances to make a distinction, exclusion or preference based on age, in particular in an insurance contract, no exceptions are provided by law with regard to vehicle rental.

“These consumers are already paying more to insure their vehicles because of their age, so they are paying twice the price for being young. In addition, a 22-year-old driver could just as easily have more driving experience, better habits or a better driving record than a 26-year-old, for example, ”says Sylvie De Bellefeuille, lawyer and budget advisor. and legal at Option consommateurs.

The collective action is aimed at ending this discrimination and securing a monetary condemnation. If you have entered into such a rental contract or if you have been refused rental of a vehicle or certain types of vehicles since August 16, 2016, when you or the driver were between 16 and 24 years of age, we invite you to register to receive information on the progress of the case:

https://option-consommateurs.org/jeunes ... collectif/
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
8207 posts
7588 upvotes
Wonder if they'll sue companies with seniors discount too?
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
14199 posts
9559 upvotes
Markham
StatsGuy wrote: Wonder if they'll sue companies with seniors discount too?
Or sue insurance company not give everyone same price
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
8207 posts
7588 upvotes
smartie wrote: Or sue insurance company not give everyone same price
And transit have seniors fare and OAS is only given to seniors too!
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
17121 posts
23665 upvotes
Vancouver
I had a friend who was flying all around Canada and the USA on business trips well before 25. His company had a corporate account with with one rental company and spent LOT of money with them. But his age was a constant problem. He had to get his boss on the phone at the rental counter several times to vouch for him. Eventually the boss had had enough. He called the account manager and said that if they ever hassle any of his employees or him like this again he will be closing his account and going with the competition. It never happened again.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7224 posts
4506 upvotes
Between Countries
Damn ageists committing their filthy ageism. How dare they age-profile? We need to bring down this systemic ageism and defund car rental and insurance companies.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7721 posts
8547 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
So are insurance companies not allowed to "discriminate" based on age in Quebec? Or do they not have private insurance?

Because I hear nightmare stories from like Alberta where 18-year olds are getting quoted like $4k-$5k/year for insurance through private companies...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
24446 posts
23688 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
chemicalxv wrote: So are insurance companies not allowed to "discriminate" based on age in Quebec? Or do they not have private insurance?

Because I hear nightmare stories from like Alberta where 18-year olds are getting quoted like $4k-$5k/year for insurance through private companies...
Here’s a decent article on how No Fault Insurance is defined / works in each Cdn Province

https://www.ratehub.ca/insurance/car/no-fault-insurance

NOTE … this thread pertains to Car Rental Cos.
(Ya know the places that commonly don’t rent to anyone under 25 )

That’s very different from anyone 18 to 25 seeking car insurance on their own vehicle
Just like everywhere else Quebec has a sliding scale for drivers based on things like age, drivers education, driving experience, accident / demerit record, miles driven per year, city vs country driving … etc

That’s not discriminatory
That’s based on statistics

And vastly different from what goes on in the Car Rental Biz

Where … NOT RENTING AT ALL … or CHARGING A PREMIUM to someone 18 to 25 … is discrimination
Solely because of their age
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
48243 posts
9134 upvotes
Richmond Hill
PointsHubby wrote: Here’s a decent article on how No Fault Insurance is defined / works in each Cdn Province

https://www.ratehub.ca/insurance/car/no-fault-insurance

NOTE … this thread pertains to Car Rental Cos.
(Ya know the places that commonly don’t rent to anyone under 25 )

That’s very different from anyone 18 to 25 seeking car insurance on their own vehicle
Just like everywhere else Quebec has a sliding scale for drivers based on things like age, drivers education, driving experience, accident / demerit record, miles driven per year, city vs country driving … etc

That’s not discriminatory
That’s based on statistics

And vastly different from what goes on in the Car Rental Biz

Where … NOT RENTING AT ALL … or CHARGING A PREMIUM to someone 18 to 25 … is discrimination
Solely because of their age
Isn't charging a premium for young drivers due to statistics as well? I'm not sure how different it is from insurance premiums, other than the fact that the price only has one input into the equation as opposed to several more.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6633 posts
7283 upvotes
GTA
Jon Lai wrote: Isn't charging a premium for young drivers due to statistics as well? I'm not sure how different it is from insurance premiums, other than the fact that the price only has one input into the equation as opposed to several more.
I can agree up to a point, but the fact is Insurance companies aren't very transparent in how they calculate premiums.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
24446 posts
23688 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jon Lai wrote: Isn't charging a premium for young drivers due to statistics as well? I'm not sure how different it is from insurance premiums, other than the fact that the price only has one input into the equation as opposed to several more.
Again, there are MANY elements that goes into calculating insurance costs
Be it your home insurance, or car insurance … on your personal property
That’s well documented … calculated risk

When it comes to Vehicle Rentals … WHICH THIS CASE IS ABOUT

It’s not so much ones personal stats
As it is …

UNDER 25 … WE WONT RENT TO YOU … AT ALL

Or if we do rent to you … we intend to charge you a whole bunch of extra fees
JUST BECAUSE … YOU ARE UNDER 25

Once a person is over 18
They are an adult
So there are already things in place (the court system)
To take action against a person if they were do something worth suing over

It’s the act of PREJUDICE / DISCRIMINATION by not renting to them
Or tacking on unnecessary extras that comes to bear here
Solely based on age …
And not directly related to their Driving Record

You or I rent
None of these things are weighed against us.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
48243 posts
9134 upvotes
Richmond Hill
PointsHubby wrote: Again, there are MANY elements that goes into calculating insurance costs
Be it your home insurance, or car insurance … on your personal property
That’s well documented … calculated risk

When it comes to Vehicle Rentals … WHICH THIS CASE IS ABOUT

It’s not so much ones personal stats
As it is …

UNDER 25 … WE WONT RENT TO YOU … AT ALL

Or if we do rent to you … we intend to charge you a whole bunch of extra fees
JUST BECAUSE … YOU ARE UNDER 25

Once a person is over 18
They are an adult
So there are already things in place (the court system)
To take action against a person if they were do something worth suing over

It’s the act of PREJUDICE / DISCRIMINATION by not renting to them
Or tacking on unnecessary extras that comes to bear here
Solely based on age …
And not directly related to their Driving Record

You or I rent
None of these things are weighed against us.
I imagine the reason behind this is higher likelihood of getting into an accident and totalling the car. How does the court system help with that?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
19424 posts
14395 upvotes
Markham
I think the rental rate should be the same but the insurance rate/day should be higher...that might be reasonable IMO. Having said there are ppl with licenses who don't drive much and IMO they might be higher risk.

If the Quebec lawsuit is a win, it'll have a domino to other Provinces.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1692 posts
698 upvotes
Markham
chemicalxv wrote: So are insurance companies not allowed to "discriminate" based on age in Quebec? Or do they not have private insurance?

happens in ontario too.
I was quoted for $9,000~$13,000 for a brand new Mazda 2 (a $16,000 car - could've bought another with 2 years of insurance cost) when I was 20 with a G. No prior claims nor tickets. It was just stupid.
Ended up finding a company that would do it for $3500 which was still insane, but that went down pretty quickly after a a few years....

But this is just kinda stupid and hateful thing for them to do. Its one thing to force insurance, its another to just charge more....

tho i feel like if this goes through they would just stop renting to 25 and under....
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
24446 posts
23688 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
gr8dlr wrote: I think the rental rate should be the same but the insurance rate/day should be higher...that might be reasonable IMO. Having said there are ppl with licenses who don't drive much and IMO they might be higher risk.

If the Quebec lawsuit is a win, it'll have a domino to other Provinces.
Winner winner … chicken dinner !

Someone that actually read the OP and got the gist of this thread
lildevilx wrote: happens in ontario too.
I was quoted for $9,000~$13,000 for a brand new Mazda 2 (a $16,000 car - could've bought another with 2 years of insurance cost) when I was 20 with a G. No prior claims nor tickets. It was just stupid.
Ended up finding a company that would do it for $3500 which was still insane, but that went down pretty quickly after a a few years....

But this is just kinda stupid and hateful thing for them to do. Its one thing to force insurance, its another to just charge more....

tho i feel like if this goes through they would just stop renting to 25 and under....
Again…

This is not about Personal Insurance

The lawsuit is about the unjust practice of either NOT RENTING A CAR to someone under 25 (extremely common)
Or charging them a premium for the rental.

Has truly nothing to do with insurance

Personal insurance on your own vehicle … whole other topic

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)