QUEBEC: EPIC Store hours fail!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2015 9:02 am
Tags:
None
Aug 29, 2007
850 posts
57 upvotes
pmdoit wrote: Glad you're a newbie here and you need to line up on BD to get a warm deal. If you check every thread about big price errors you will see that quebequers almost everytime take benefits about these errors.That's because theirs laws suck :lol:
Even though this might be a good thing, the other side of the coin is that we are excluded from a lot of things.

I personally never took advantage of such mistakes like price errors but, I would like being included in LOTS of the things like the rest of Canada.

But seriously, you can't always take advantage of the laws. Companies like FS always find an excuse. They even find ways to not respect their OWN policies.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1470 posts
320 upvotes
pmdoit wrote: Glad you're a newbie here and you need to line up on BD to get a warm deal. If you check every thread about big price errors you will see that quebequers almost everytime take benefits about these errors.That's because theirs laws suck :lol:
Yeah at least we got that one. Now if they change that stupid law about contests...
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
1798 posts
186 upvotes
Yeah i know that we mis some contests and more but i'm happy to live here
We need to think about all these employee that can never take some days on christmas to spend with theirs familly (Boxing day crap) so if they can go home earlier on week-end why not?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2009
1543 posts
486 upvotes
Edmonton
I rather give up that law for our laws.

Been on RFD since 2006, Cool, anyone joined after Mar 6th, 2005 is a newbie. :| Its very easy to create a new user name, I can teach you.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1705 posts
408 upvotes
Montreal
lotfi.bm wrote: I wonder if there is a law that forces them to open at 1PM
Strangely Gatineau's store will open at 10AM
pretty sure it is a law, because couple of years ago, FS downtown opened their door at 12:30pm and they got fined like $5000 i think
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
BobyYoo wrote: pretty sure it is a law, because couple of years ago, FS downtown opened their door at 12:30pm and they got fined like $5000 i think
yep, it's a law. stores opening 5 minutes early are ok like HMV last year. i was in and out in about 7 minutes so i didn't miss anything from other stores :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
i just took a look at the flyer (just to refresh my memory) and both downtown locations will close at 8PM unless they had a notice stating otherwise
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9534 posts
2258 upvotes
Montreal, QC
the_fm wrote: i just took a look at the flyer (just to refresh my memory) and both downtown locations will close at 8PM unless they had a notice stating otherwise
Yep, Centreville & Forum in Montreal closes at 8PM
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
1099 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think it's so bad for you guys. At least you get to sleep in late, and employees aren't worked to death. Enjoy the holiday! :P
Dec 2, 2008
77 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
-I don't know if it's a french thing because on the 20/20 TV program they did a video package on labour and how Americans work more than other countries whereas countries like France work less and have more leisure time and vacations. Personally, as someone who lives in Montreal, the law is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. For starters, anyone can wake up by 1:00pm and make it to a store making the store twice as crowded and cause a security concern and a more hazardous work environment. Secondly, the people that are usually the craziest and wake up the earliest can get their stuff at 6:00 am and be done their day before noon whereas everyone else can stop by throughout the day and buy more stuff at their convenience without huge lineups and also help the economy out by buying more consumer goods. Finally, this law was designed to give employees more leisure time around the holidays. If you want more leisure time, then don't work at a retail store. You have 364 other days of the year to spend time with your families and if you can't find the time for the rest of the year I don't see how one more day is going to make a difference in that equation.

-Stores do this so they don't have to hire extra employees to work around the holidays or later whereas every other store in the USA and Canada are open later and don't have issues with it. In this economy, I actually wouldn't mind seeing some grocery stores open at midnight or 24 hrs like in some states in the USA as I'm sure there are some unemployed people who wouldn't mind working at differing time schedules than others. The famous slogan that I see with Taco Bell is "Open till 1 am or later". When the Taco Bell first opened its doors in Quebec, that rule actually applied for the first few weeks and then I saw the door sign changed to 10:00 pm. Now the store is lucky if it can stay open past 9:30 pm. It's just another dumb rule that helps to separate Quebec in the same fashion as the "Sweepstakes or contests apply to all Canadian residents except Quebec" rule that is another beauty in this province.
Jun 5, 2008
470 posts
17 upvotes
Ottawa
Lol Boobnewb, its not as a bad as it could be. Back during the referendum, most of my extended family living in the Pontiac was afraid they were going to have to flee to "Canada" and practically be anglophone refugees.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3683 posts
180 upvotes
Montreal
*epic thread revival*

Update: Quebec store hours still suck! lol.

Funny story: Health Clinics that close at 9PM usually stop serving customers around 6:30-7, so that the employees can leave at 9.

The 5PM weekend crap seems to extend to many clinics as well. I showed up to a clinic at 10AM on a saturday, they had stopped taking patients for the day (so that they can close at 5pm). Did I mention they open at 9?

Another clinic where I live turned me away at 8:20pm (they close at 9). They stopped taking patients at 7:00 due to load, but they overcompensated and ran out. So they just decided to not take any additional patients, even though they were open, and getting paid, and no other patients were left.

The complete lack of adherence to normal standards and procedure is dumbfounding.

I think I'm going to open a store that is open from 10am to 2PM with a 3 hour lunch break, it's going to be a huge success in this city.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
1701 posts
184 upvotes
i've worked in retail for more than 7 years and I think the hours for Boxing Day in quebec is absolutely perfect. It gives enough time for the employees to actually have the energy and time to sleep and allow families to not rush.

It's worth it to have a full stomach and good sleep prior to shopping for both customers and employees. **** gets really ugly on boxing day when everyone is all grumpy.
RFD Damage since August '08 = lost track
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3683 posts
180 upvotes
Montreal
norgos wrote: i've worked in retail for more than 7 years and I think the hours for Boxing Day in quebec is absolutely perfect. It gives enough time for the employees to actually have the energy and time to sleep and allow families to not rush.

It's worth it to have a full stomach and good sleep prior to shopping for both customers and employees. **** gets really ugly on boxing day when everyone is all grumpy.
This thread is about 5PM closing times. No one argues that 1PM opening is a bad idea on boxing day.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)