Home & Garden

(Quebec) need to replace my 60L electric water tank for family of 6, what is the best I can buy? Is tankless viable?

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2020 9:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3536 posts
315 upvotes

(Quebec) need to replace my 60L electric water tank for family of 6, what is the best I can buy? Is tankless viable?

Can anyone recommend a quality replacement, I want to buy something of really good quality over value, but I’m open. My current tank is about 12 years old and is showing signs of rust on the bottom and I was told I should start thinking about changing it.

I’m in Quebec where electricity is cheap compared to Ontario, so far we have been able to manage with the 2 adults and 4 kids and we don’t run out of hot water since the kids don’t take baths anymore.

Have tank efficiency improved in the last 12 years? Is electric tankless feasible?

Also I’m curious if insurance companies recognize quality tanks and don’t insist you change it as often?
Last edited by Rockstead on Jan 5th, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 25, 2004
952 posts
432 upvotes
Longueuil
The best is Rheem Marathon. The tank will never rust since it is made of polybutylene (there is a lifetime warranty on the tank itself, not the heating elements) and the insulation is very good (in 1998 when we had no electricity we still had some hot/lukewarm water for a long time). My parents bought one a very long time ago and never had any issue (I don't remember when but it was before 1998 obviously). Unfortunately it seems to be very expensive now and I have not found where you can buy it except from an installer (they don't want you to install it yourself anymore in Canada). Rona doesn't carry it anymore (my dad bought his there) and Home Depot only sells it in the US.

I am also looking to replace my water heater since it is from 1998. I like the idea of a tank that will not rust (I don't understand the idea of a tank holding water made from a material destroyed by water...) but the price seemed way too expensive from what I have seen. I will have to do some new checks though, maybe it changed since I last checked.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3536 posts
315 upvotes
Thanks for this info, does that mean with a Rheem I won’t have to change my tank every 10 years, so insurance companies also honor that? Because often it is the insurance company that insists you need to change every 10 years, what’s the point of buying one that is much more expensive if insurance doesn’t recognize it?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 23, 2004
2152 posts
668 upvotes
Montreal
Get a Giant Super Cascade (with EcoPeak if available).
Very good insulation that will make you save the difference in price over a few years.
Giant Super Cascade
Available at Rona, Reno-Depot, ... Wait for those "save 15% off all items" days and go get one.

Tankless water heaters require lots of power. Probably not cost effective in most cases.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3620 posts
2252 upvotes
AMD wrote: Get a Giant Super Cascade (with EcoPeak if available).
Very good insulation that will make you save the difference in price over a few years.
Giant Super Cascade
Available at Rona, Reno-Depot, ... Wait for those "save 15% off all items" days and go get one.

Tankless water heaters require lots of power. Probably not cost effective in most cases.
Interesting if they have a three element for the 40Gallon tanks as well.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 25, 2004
952 posts
432 upvotes
Longueuil
Rockstead wrote: Thanks for this info, does that mean with a Rheem I won’t have to change my tank every 10 years, so insurance companies also honor that? Because often it is the insurance company that insists you need to change every 10 years, what’s the point of buying one that is much more expensive if insurance doesn’t recognize it?
I can't speak for all companies but my parents called them (La Personnelle/Desjardins) to tell them about the tank and they had to do some checks but yes, they removed that requirement of changing it after 10 years. They are still covered and as I said, the tank was installed before 1998.

HomeDepot in Canada sells Rheem but not the Marathon model, they only sell that model in the US.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6410 posts
1075 upvotes
The anode rod in a water heater is designed to rust away while protecting the tank shell itself. If you replace the anode rod every few years you can significantly extend the life of your tank. There are threads on anode rods here on Redflags or you can do a Google search.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8694 posts
5623 upvotes
Kootenays
JEDI Force wrote: The best is Rheem Marathon. The tank will never rust since it is made of polybutylene (there is a lifetime warranty on the tank itself, not the heating elements) and the insulation is very good (in 1998 when we had no electricity we still had some hot/lukewarm water for a long time). My parents bought one a very long time ago and never had any issue (I don't remember when but it was before 1998 obviously). Unfortunately it seems to be very expensive now and I have not found where you can buy it except from an installer (they don't want you to install it yourself anymore in Canada). Rona doesn't carry it anymore (my dad bought his there) and Home Depot only sells it in the US.

I am also looking to replace my water heater since it is from 1998. I like the idea of a tank that will not rust (I don't understand the idea of a tank holding water made from a material destroyed by water...) but the price seemed way too expensive from what I have seen. I will have to do some new checks though, maybe it changed since I last checked.
+1
I bought 4 85 us gallon ones 5 or 6 years ago for my small resort. They weren't cheap, just over $1,000 each + installation. They are the best available.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3536 posts
315 upvotes
woof wrote: The anode rod in a water heater is designed to rust away while protecting the tank shell itself. If you replace the anode rod every few years you can significantly extend the life of your tank. There are threads on anode rods here on Redflags or you can do a Google search.
I wonder do the Anode Rods differ in the Rheem Marathon units? Is it still a requirement to change them as often?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3536 posts
315 upvotes
JEDI Force wrote: I can't speak for all companies but my parents called them (La Personnelle/Desjardins) to tell them about the tank and they had to do some checks but yes, they removed that requirement of changing it after 10 years. They are still covered and as I said, the tank was installed before 1998.

HomeDepot in Canada sells Rheem but not the Marathon model, they only sell that model in the US.
Wow, great info as that is my insurance company too, perfect.

I think I read Hone Depot can special order them, and Costco.ca offers Rheem water heaters but doesn’t specify the models they carry, they will send a Rheem representative to your home, so I’m sure hey can order them.

I’m just curious but compared to a good quality water heater and not a budget model, how much more does a Rheem cost % wise.

Anyhow I’m going to call Costco today to set up an apt, here is the link:

https://m.costco.ca/Rheem®-Water-Heater ... 16108.html
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6410 posts
1075 upvotes
Rockstead wrote: I wonder do the Anode Rods differ in the Rheem Marathon units? Is it still a requirement to change them as often?
If the Rheem Marathon is a plastic tank then there will be no anode rod since there is no need to protect plastic from corrosion.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3536 posts
315 upvotes
woof wrote: If the Rheem Marathon is a plastic tank then there will be no anode rod since there is no need to protect plastic from corrosion.
Now that I actually looked up what the purpose of the anode rod is, that makes perfect sense :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3536 posts
315 upvotes
AMD wrote: Get a Giant Super Cascade (with EcoPeak if available).
Very good insulation that will make you save the difference in price over a few years.
Giant Super Cascade
Available at Rona, Reno-Depot, ... Wait for those "save 15% off all items" days and go get one.

Tankless water heaters require lots of power. Probably not cost effective in most cases.
Are Giant Super Cascade with Ecopeak also made out of polybutene? Or is only Rheem doing that? I’m going to be investing a lot of money finishing my basement, so while I want good efficiency, It more important to me to have more flood / leak protection.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 23, 2004
2152 posts
668 upvotes
Montreal
Rockstead wrote: Are Giant Super Cascade with Ecopeak also made out of polybutene? Or is only Rheem doing that? I’m going to be investing a lot of money finishing my basement, so while I want good efficiency, It more important to me to have more flood / leak protection.
Install a pan/tub connected to your floor drain under your water heater.

And no, the Giant water heater has to be changed every ~10 years.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
476 upvotes
MONTR
AMD wrote: Install a pan/tub connected to your floor drain under your water heater.

And no, the Giant water heater has to be changed every ~10 years.
A 60 gallon cascade is under 600.00 divided by 10 years is 60.00 a year. So I don't get why people rent these for 15.00 to 20.00 a month?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3536 posts
315 upvotes
nomdesplumes wrote: A 60 gallon cascade is under 600.00 divided by 10 years is 60.00 a year. So I don't get why people rent these for 15.00 to 20.00 a month?
Seems to be an Ontario thing, don’t hear much about Quebecer’s renting.
Newbie
Jan 4, 2018
2 posts
1 upvote
Hi all,

I'm in New Brunswick and just finished researching the 60 Gallon Ecopeak (Giant Cascade) model as well. I can rent a 60 gallon Giant Cascade tank (not Ecopeak) from NBPower for 9.80/month, taxes included. Purchasing the Ecopeak is 667$ plus taxes (770), plus installation = 850-900 probably, if not 1000. Renting over 10 years, would cost 1176, no hassle, full lifetime warranty, free replacement after 15 years. They install and pick up the old one. If the purchased one breaks down once, not cost effective, IMHO. Unless I get the Ecopeak for 300$, probably not worth it. My 2 cents.

Z.
Member
Apr 12, 2009
411 posts
81 upvotes
What is the difference between the Giant Standard Ecopeak at 429$ vs the Giant Super Cascade Ecopeak at 539$ on the Rona site?

The only difference I see is 10 year warranty instead of 6 year warranty.

Top