• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2021 8:44 pm
[OP]
May 26, 2011
834 posts
188 upvotes
Montreal

Quebec New construction Townhouse - Shower base problems

Not sure if anyone would be able to help or possibly point us in the right direction of who we could speak to about this.

We bought a new construction last year, we had bought an option to upgrade our shower base to a marble shower base.

Once we moved in, a couple of months later we had noticed that the floor had started to crack and chip. We sent an email to our contractor that built all the townhouses around here and they sent us someone to inspect it. The guy says that it was normal that these cracks form as it's part of the vein of the rock. Ever since this day, we've been in constant battles with them about it as it was quite an expensive option, which if I knew would start chipping and forming cracks, I definitely never would have made the upgrade.

After looking more into this, we actually had found out who the supplier of this stone is: https://www.unikstone.ca/en/product/ice ... itCatID=55

It clearly states on their website "Regarding the sale of this product in Quebec, this product is in the process of certification by the Regie de Batiment du Quebec. According to existing regulations, this product may not be sold for installation in Quebec."

Hopefully there's someone knowledgeable about Quebec laws and can help if there's some type of recourse we can go ahead with for this?

I've attached a picture of our shower base and circled a few of the cracks and chip (which they came to fill it with some type of sand, the guy barely spoke French or English so couldn't even understand what he was telling me)
Images
  • IMG_0139.jpg
2 replies
Jan 22, 2021
20 posts
9 upvotes
I can’t help you with any Quebec laws but I can tell you that marble is a very soft stone and require a stiff subfloor to avoid cracking. It looks like you got a slab there which is even more prone to cracking on floors.

Marble is also very porous so make sure you seal it on a regular basis in the shower.
[OP]
May 26, 2011
834 posts
188 upvotes
Montreal
datamy wrote: I can’t help you with any Quebec laws but I can tell you that marble is a very soft stone and require a stiff subfloor to avoid cracking. It looks like you got a slab there which is even more prone to cracking on floors.

Marble is also very porous so make sure you seal it on a regular basis in the shower.
Yeah we’ve been sealing it every 6 months.

We had a marble floor in our shower at our last house as well, never had issues like this.