• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2021 1:53 pm
[OP]
Dec 31, 2017
59 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal

Quebec used car declared price SAAQ

i'm buying a used car that is over 10 years old from a private owner. In quebec, the vehicle registry (SAAQ) requires you to pay QST. they evaluate the value of the vehicle based on their own pricing guide. This guide only covers the last 10 years so for sales on cars over 10 years, the SAAQ relies on the value that you report to them.

In past years, in QC, it has been common practice for people to state that the sale went down for $1 (lol) as to minimize QST charges on the 10+ year old cars.

I'm trying to find recent data points as to whether people have still been able to do this.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1385 posts
1780 upvotes
adri8524 wrote: i'm buying a used car that is over 10 years old from a private owner. In quebec, the vehicle registry (SAAQ) requires you to pay QST. they evaluate the value of the vehicle based on their own pricing guide. This guide only covers the last 10 years so for sales on cars over 10 years, the SAAQ relies on the value that you report to them.

In past years, in QC, it has been common practice for people to state that the sale went down for $1 (lol) as to minimize QST charges on the 10+ year old cars.

I'm trying to find recent data points as to whether people have still been able to do this.
Ive done this. They don't care.

IMO taxing used cars is ridiculous.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3064 posts
1810 upvotes
Pothole city
RaphaelG041 wrote: Ive done this. They don't care.

Yep. No tax on used: motorcycle snowmobile... If you think about it, during its life, the taxes can be paid 20 times on the same car...
Like a classic Porsche that change owner every couple years.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25956 posts
3264 upvotes
Montreal
Last time we did this, I sold a 19 year old car. I reported a nominal value like 100$. No one cared.
[OP]
Dec 31, 2017
59 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal
RaphaelG041 wrote: Ive done this. They don't care.

I agree with you, I think it’s a cash grab frankly.

someone was fear mongering on Reddit saying rev Quebec was cracking down. They said the saaq was now flagging $1 sales when sending the TVQ info to revQC and that they had been ‘audited’.
edit: link to fear monger

When did you purchase your vehicle?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1385 posts
1780 upvotes
adri8524 wrote: I agree with you, I think it’s a cash grab frankly.

someone was fear mongering on Reddit saying rev Quebec was cracking down. They said the saaq was now flagging $1 sales when sending the TVQ info to revQC and that they had been ‘audited’.
edit: link to fear monger

When did you purchase your vehicle?
Beater truck I bought maybe 4 years ago. Had the 1$ sale price listed on the transfer paper. Paid like 10 cents or something. The lady didn't care. I think its a given that the saaq no longer collects taxes on private transactions for cars that are over 10 years old
Feb 7, 2017
110 posts
88 upvotes
Just recently declared a 10 year old car that was bought for 100$. No problems what’s so ever.
[OP]
Dec 31, 2017
59 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal
just got back, i decided not to go for the glorious $1. declared the more reasonable $1000. still winning.