Automotive

Are Quebec used cars ever worth considering (Ontario resident)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2021 11:27 am
[OP]
Sep 19, 2008
115 posts
37 upvotes

Are Quebec used cars ever worth considering (Ontario resident)

In this crazy market once in a while I stumble on something that seems like a decent deal, good condition, clean carfax, etc. But the catch is that they're always from Quebec. I've done my searching on this forum and I know most people are adamantly against Quebec cars due to the nonexistent history. Is this something I can do my due diligence on by taking it to a good mechanic? Can someone notice if a car has been repaired from a major accident?
27 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31911 posts
18915 upvotes
Toronto
You still need to do a comprehensive Ppi, no matter where the car comes from.
[OP]
Sep 19, 2008
115 posts
37 upvotes
booblehead wrote: You still need to do a comprehensive Ppi, no matter where the car comes from.
Definitely, I just wonder if a PPI is still not enough to catch the potential issues a Quebec car could come with?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31911 posts
18915 upvotes
Toronto
Buying any used car will always have lots of unknown such as maintenance history, car involved in accident but owner may have chosen not to report to insurance and repair made out of pocket, etc. If you shop is reputable in doing ppi, then the meh would check any mismatch of paint and overspray on body panels, any misalignment of fender, hood and panels, checking on any (signs) fluid leaks, check on suspension, brakes and tires wear, any issue with other mechanical and electrical issues that need to be addressed immediately . A good ppi may take several hours to complete and a detailed report should then be given to you on the findings.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2570 posts
1287 upvotes
Hometown
erebakish wrote: Definitely, I just wonder if a PPI is still not enough to catch the potential issues a Quebec car could come with?
If you are serious and the price/vehicle is good enough. Arrange to have a GOOD body shop look it over after it passes your PPI. Some mechanics are genius at spotting mechanical problems, but might not be the best choice to find a well hidden body repair.
[OP]
Sep 19, 2008
115 posts
37 upvotes
Good call, I'll find a good body shop to check it out. Can mechanics/body shop workers tell if odometers have been tampered with at all?
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1162 posts
1159 upvotes
Toronto
Have you been to Quebec and seen the driving there? I'd avoid it.

I personally have had a bad experience with a car that came from Quebec, and a friend bought some Acura a while back with a rolled back odometer and other previous major body work.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2594 posts
1498 upvotes
Ontario
You need to ask why they are in Ontario etc being sold vs staying in Quebec and being sold. Especially right now with the shortage of vehicles in general...
I was told by CarProof (CarFax) that they dont carry a lot of insurance info over to other provinces from Quebec either for some reason when I asked them about it in the past. Same with USA CarFax reports not having info up here vs Canadian reports...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Sep 8, 2010
684 posts
874 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm from QC and I bought all my used cars here. Never had any issues. I've always dealt with private sellers and asked for maintenance papers. You can easily see if the seller was diligent while owning the car. I always try to buy from the first owner as well.
Dec 1, 2014
264 posts
279 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Sure Quebec has a reputation but as long as you get a solid PPI done and everything else checks out (owner no sketchy, story lines-up, etc..), I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

I've seen plenty of used cars in Ontario with questionable history. It just comes down to you.

I wouldn't go through the headache for a volume selling car in Quebec just to import to Ontario though (Accord, Civic, Camry, etc..).
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15103 upvotes
Is the "not buying from Quebec" thing...even still a thing? I'm pretty sure they have better car history these days, as do all provinces. It's not the same as 10-15 years ago.
Mar 17, 2006
654 posts
362 upvotes
Thorkell wrote: Have you been to Quebec and seen the driving there? I'd avoid it.

I personally have had a bad experience with a car that came from Quebec, and a friend bought some Acura a while back with a rolled back odometer and other previous major body work.
LOL, dude from Toronto making fun of Quebec drivers. Pot calling the kettle black?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19470 posts
22605 upvotes
GTA
ur_too_crazy wrote: LOL, dude from Toronto making fun of Quebec drivers. Pot calling the kettle black?
Bad drivers in both, but Quebec, especially Montreal is in a league of its own.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Mar 17, 2006
654 posts
362 upvotes
engineered wrote: Bad drivers in both, but Quebec, especially Montreal is in a league of its own.
Having spent a week of my summer vacation this summer in Ontario (driving through and around Toronto several times), allow me to respectfully disagree.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1162 posts
1159 upvotes
Toronto
Toronto driving has gotten really bad in the last 5-10 years. Montreal was just aggressive from the jump.

And the cars that came from there, mostly neglected.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19470 posts
22605 upvotes
GTA
ur_too_crazy wrote: Having spent a week of my summer vacation this summer in Ontario (driving through and around Toronto several times), allow me to respectfully disagree.
I guess people from quebec would think that stopping for red lights is dangerous :P
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
I lived in MTL for 16 years and GTA for 13 years.
Both cities drivers are equally aggressive as it can be.

For example, Toronto people goes to Montreal and see the local are aggressive because the Toronto driver are coming out of town and probably drive slower in a less familiar environment, then you see the local are driving faster and aggressive. It is the same when that same Toronto driver driving local in Toronto and that called "aggressive driver" from MTL will say the same about Toronto drivers are mad nuts.

Used car in QC a bad reputation because it snow more up north and more salty on the road and Montreal has potholes everywhere and screw up car's suspension and wheels.
Thing about rolling back odometer, it happens everywhere, and like other mentioned, just get the proper PPI and it will be a safer purchase.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Apr 22, 2019
413 posts
448 upvotes
Sounds like individuals in here feel strongly about the reputations of their provinces/cities with respect to their driving abilities. I live in Toronto and drive through downtown almost daily, we are very aggressive here.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26067 posts
10753 upvotes
Socially Distanced
The answer is no becasue the language police have stripped the car bare, you will be finding English tags removed and automatically falling off if retrofitted, until the car goes to the giant garage in the sky Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Sarcasm aside you should do your due diligence just like you would any car but the logistics can be a pain just due to the distance. Someone from TO buying a Montreal car is a logistical headache just like someone from Windsor buying a car in Newmarket.

That said there might be some interprovincial things to contend with which i cannot speak to.
In one case someone i know lived in Vancouver and didn't want to go through the trouble of buying an Ontario car so their parent who lived in Ontario bought the car in the parent's name. Not sure what happened later, if it stayed that way or they transferred the ownership eventually.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people