Expired Hot Deals

[Queen Video] Toronto - Queen Video closing sale. Final day April 18.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2019 9:36 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
5463 posts
3332 upvotes
Turonno
kav2001c wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 11:28 am
+1

Too many streaming services carry such crap selections of the movie of the month

Couple this with the Marvel Apocalypse (I still blame them for basically destroying the movie industry as nothing else seems to get made these days) and the end is nigh
Funny enough, I still haven't watched the last Avengers movie and everyone looks at me like I'm uncultured swine. I simply lost interest after the billionth movie. Confused Face
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15012 posts
2072 upvotes
Toronto
I was there around 11:30. BluRay movies were $13.50, BluRay tv per season was $17.50, DVDs were $8.

The BluRay tv selection was very limited and some of the BluRay movies are more expensive than Amazon.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2006
2031 posts
315 upvotes
This place was good. Lasted a long time. The DVD market has been dying for a while.

Their sign said 30000 titles available
For sale threads:
GCs / Coins
Cloth / Phones/
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1330 posts
623 upvotes
Said212 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 11:47 am
Funny enough, I still haven't watched the last Avengers movie and everyone looks at me like I'm uncultured swine. I simply lost interest after the billionth movie. Confused Face
In general I HATE superhero movies
It gets even worse when people start falling all over themselves for a crappy film (eg Black Panther) because oh look minorities made it
That movie had some of the dumbest writing ever
Best picture lol
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming
Sep 14, 2009
951 posts
412 upvotes
Halifax
kav2001c wrote:
+1

Too many streaming services carry such crap selections of the movie of the month

Couple this with the Marvel Apocalypse (I still blame them for basically destroying the movie industry as nothing else seems to get made these days) and the end is nigh
Well, no. There's more movies being made today than at any point in history. Marvel is a very small percentage of all movies being made these days.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1330 posts
623 upvotes
sonician wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 9:12 pm
Well, no. There's more movies being made today than at any point in history. Marvel is a very small percentage of all movies being made these days.
No way
When I was younger we had less theatres and far more movies to choose from

Even new release DVDs used to take up shelves of space, now there are (usually) 4 to 5 name and some direct to video junk (and you even find Marvel in there as well)

Marvel is part of the Disney superconglomerate
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1066 posts
926 upvotes
Wow, what an anachronism that should have shuttered at least 15 years ago, same for some people here who think Netflix or Prime is the be all end all of streaming collections online, lool. I mean I get nostalgia, but that's no excuse for being a dinosaur coming out from under an asteroid.
Nov 20, 2017
597 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 5:04 pm
I was there around 11:30. BluRay movies were $13.50, BluRay tv per season was $17.50, DVDs were $8.

The BluRay tv selection was very limited and some of the BluRay movies are more expensive than Amazon.
Yikes what a rip off.

It's 2019 and a closing sale for Blu rays dvds and they're charging those prices? Need to be like 75% cheaper to shift them quickly.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3014 posts
2444 upvotes
sonician wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 10:56 am
we're going to wish all these video stores hadn't closed up shop.
Really? I don't know, pretty much every DVD and BD out there is available online. Don't really understand why I have to travel all the way downtown to pick one up.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3014 posts
2444 upvotes
kav2001c wrote:
... and the end is nigh
You have GOT to be kidding!?

Video entertainment is MAGNITUDES better today then even a decade ago. FAR lower cost of entry, coupled with FAR more distribution options means we have a quality of TV and movies that has NEVER been seen before.

20 years ago pretty much EVERYTHING 'made for TV' was utter crap. We had 'TGIF' quality sitcoms, and 'made for TV' movies that weren't even worthy of straight to video.

Then shows like The Sopranos came out, followed by a cavalcade of fantastic options. Episodic drivel was driven (mostly) out of existence, followed by series that still cause the odd conversation around the water-cooler.

Now we have content like GOT, and all the fantastic shows Netflix currently produces.

On the movie front the 'old guard' has been collapsing, allowing more risk taking in film making (since you can bypass the garbage of the festival circuit and constant begging to get your film on 5 screens in the whole country) and go straight to viewers. Some of the 'made for streaming' movies the past few years have been fantastic, the thought of going to a movie theatre for first run stuff is quickly leaving the collective consciousness.

Be nostalgic if you want, but realize the the amount of choice you have today is FAR greater then even 10 years ago.

I for one LOVE the fact that I can sit down and have a choice of 10s of thousands of titles with just the click of a button.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24181 posts
4471 upvotes
Batmon wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 6:05 pm
I have to return some video tapes...

Before they close :(
Be kind. Rewind.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24181 posts
4471 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 10:31 am
Really? I don't know, pretty much every DVD and BD out there is available online. Don't really understand why I have to travel all the way downtown to pick one up.
You can't rent them though. The US still has (and always had) physical Netflix, something we've never had here. We don't have any comparable service either. So them being online and for sale is not really the same thing. We had Redbox for like 3 days and then that went away. Redbox had all the overhead of a box on the street/in a store (which is what it literally was) with no heat/ac to keep running, no store to lease/rent, and few employees to pay, yet it still went bust in Canada in short order.

There's online rentals with streaming of course but I'm not sure who uses that when they are probably pirating instead. The market now simply belongs to subscription streaming services and pirates (which really aren't a market 'cause they're not really getting paid exactly). Quality isn't there but it's well more than close enough for the majority of people. TBH I'm not even really concerned that much with the image quality of streaming services, it's just the audio that sucks and that's what's kept me buying BDs this long.

When I was a kid, "renting a movie" (usually a couple at a time) was something done on a nearly weekly basis. However today, I honestly don't even have the foggiest notion of what the last movie I rented was, it was that long ago. At least with no physical rentals, there's never anything to remember to return :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3579 posts
736 upvotes
Sad to see it go, I used to go to the one on Queen and Spadina. At least a quarter of the time I went there, I saw my friend renting some stupid movie like alligator vs shark or shark vs gorilla.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Updated December 2018
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15012 posts
2072 upvotes
Toronto
EananC641158 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 10:16 am
Yikes what a rip off.

It's 2019 and a closing sale for Blu rays dvds and they're charging those prices? Need to be like 75% cheaper to shift them quickly.
The BluRay selection was pretty limited so I can see them dropping prices as the sale progresses.

There are a lot of foreign DVDs that are rare or OOP. They had some of my favourite European shows like The Killing, The Bridge, Line of Duty, Spiral, and Unforgotten but they only had the DVD versions.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3014 posts
2444 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 10:53 am
You can't rent them though. The US still has (and always had) physical Netflix, something we've never had here. We don't have any comparable service either. So them being online and for sale is not really the same thing. We had Redbox for like 3 days and then that went away. Redbox had all the overhead of a box on the street/in a store (which is what it literally was) with no heat/ac to keep running, no store to lease/rent, and few employees to pay, yet it still went bust in Canada in short order.

There's online rentals with streaming of course but I'm not sure who uses that when they are probably pirating instead. The market now simply belongs to subscription streaming services and pirates (which really aren't a market 'cause they're not really getting paid exactly). Quality isn't there but it's well more than close enough for the majority of people. TBH I'm not even really concerned that much with the image quality of streaming services, it's just the audio that sucks and that's what's kept me buying BDs this long.
I think you are falling to a problem I often have: the masses aren't like you.

You mention 'pirating' multiple times. Outside of the 'tech people' I know, NOBODY pirates anymore, none.

Pirating only really got popular because the perceived value and assigned prices of entertainment were vastly different. People couldn't accept paying $20 for a CD when all they wanted was one song. They couldn't contemplate paying $60 for a season of a TV show even though they had only missed one episode.

So a huge amount of effort went into creating systems that made pirating 'point and click'. The 'masses' were willing to put up with the inconveniences of these solutions (waiting overnight to download only to find the screener was horrific quality, or finding an album they downloaded was mislabeled) because there WAS no affordable alternative.

I remember saying to people during the height of Naptster that instead of suing consumers, and shutting down services, all the music industry had to do was offer single tracks for a cheap price. The music industry never got that, it took Apple (I'm not the biggest Apple fan, but here their power was world changing) and their massive tenacity to FORCE the music industry into that model, and well, the rest is history. NOBODY pirates music anymore, why would you when you can buy a track for next to nothing, stream pretty much all you want for next to nothing, etc.

Video content has taken a MUCH more rocky road to this area (like if I pirate a movie I can just watch it, if I buy the DVD/BD, I have to sit through minutes of the disc to load, force me to watch various trailers and FBI warnings, and can't even watch it on my computer if I use the VGA or component connection, etc), but we're there.

'Regular' people don't pirate. The TV IP boxes were hot a few years ago, but now there are legitimate services that offer pretty much the same for a reasonable price. MOST people don't WANT to pirate, they just don't want to feel like they are being ripped off.

Of the non tech people I know, MOST 'rent' streaming titles, either through their STBs (Rogers on Demand type stuff) or the slightly techier people on their phones (Apple or Google's streaming movie rentals).